Friday 15 December 2017

Sheer Indulgence.

Today friend W and I have been really indulgent and have had a Spa Day at Swinton Park, which is about ten miles from here.   It did strike me as I was typing this that it is something that would have been completely beyond the comprehension of my parents.

You can imagine that this has been a very stressful year for me and as the year has gone on my shoulders and rib cage have become more painful.  In fact the upper part of my body has been totally tensed up with stress.

We arrived at around quarter past ten.   This morning W swam in the heated pool while I dabbled my feet in the shallow end. (shoulders too painful for a swim).   Then we went into the steam room, the sauna, the jacuzzi, had a footbath - had a delicious two course lunch - and finally had a one hour massage.   By the end of it I was a limp rag I was so relaxed and was very grateful that I wasn't the one doing the driving.

I would certainly repeat the experience.   When I came out of the jacuzzi I decided to swim out - maybe only a dozen strokes but it is the first time I had swum in possibly thirty years and I could easily get used to it again.

Back to earth with a bump tomorrow with organising Christmas festivities.   The day itself will be spent with three friends, Boxing Day all my family will be coming here for a Buffet lunch and evening meal.  That means I have a lot of lists to make, so better get on with it.

 

22 comments:

angryparsnip said...

What a wonderful day out !
Now back to the lists.

cheers, parsnip

Jules said...

It sounds absolute bliss. A perfect day of relaxation. Maybe it is something which could become a more regular treat for you. X

Sue in Suffolk said...

What a lovely relaxing day you have had,
It's funny how you never forget how to swim. I miss swimming, Must make an effort

Joanne Noragon said...

Oh, for a massage. It's been years. Good for you, and I hope you keep it up.

Sue said...

Sounds like a perfect day of pampering.

Sooze said...

What a lovely day you've had, it must have done you a power of good. When I was working, so more affluent but a lot more stressed, I used to have an Indian head massage once a month. It's a wonderfully relaxing head and shoulders massage, so good for stress relief. Perhaps you could have one of those every now and then?

justjill said...

I could do with that. Lovely.

Heather said...

That Spa visit sounds as if it was just what you needed. Hopefully the preparations for Christmas will be less stressful for you.

Mac n' Janet said...

Your SPA day sounds like heaven.

Tom Stephenson said...

I cannot swim, but that sounds like a great ay to drown to me.

Tom Stephenson said...

w - please attach this to the above for me.

Iris said...

Oh, that is wonderful! I do hope that you will be able to have spa days here and there. It sounds like it did you a world of good.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

That sounds like a wonderful day and something that did you good.

Camille said...

Wonderful!!! Good on you. A little pampering is such a good thing. You should repeat that experience again very soon. X

Cro Magnon said...

Sounds to me that you should take-out a membership subscription to the Spa. Swimming (especially in warm water) is a wonderful thing for one's feeling of wellbeing. Your present to yourself maybe?

Derek Faulkner said...

Very well done Pat, that must of been exactly what both your body and mind needed, it you used to be a regular part of my week and I can vouch for how relaxing it can be.

thelma said...

Sounds like heaven, treat yourself more often.

Librarian said...

Swinton Park! That's a great place to go for any reason, whether just for afternoon tea or a Spa day. I'd love to have a Spa Day with O.K.; maybe we can arrange for one in the first week of January when we have both a week off work.
I am so glad you got a chance to relax in such beautiful surroundings. Massages can work wonders, can't they.
If you are interested, click here for my post about my visit to Swinton in August this year.

Rachel Phillips said...

A massage is very good when the masseur is well trained.

Bovey Belle said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day. Self-indulgence not - it was for the good of your health. A friend has regular massages and swears by them, and my eldest daughter used to go regularly when in Sheffield, but hasn't found anywhere local to her new home yet.

I think the swimming would be a wonderful way of keeping yourself fit and relaxed, so perhaps that will go on the cards for 2018?

I swear by meditation to help mind and body relax - I just go to YouTube and have found a short one which really helps each evening, and knocks anxiety levels back to normal.

Frances said...

I think swimming would be great if you didn't have to get so wet!!

Minigranny said...

That sounds like a wonderful relaxing experience - just what you needed!I remember Swinton before it was a hotel in the 1980's when Lady Masham still lived there. I used to drive my daughter up there for riding lessons when we lived in Kirkby Malzeard-happy days. Take care x