Monday 30 March 2015

Thirty-eight days to go.

So, Parliament has been dissolved today, the House of Commons will be empty (more or less), there will be no Prime Minister's Question Time with its waving and bawlingand all the would be hopefuls will be out on the hustings.

Our letter-box will be stuffed with bumf which we will not read and by the time tomorrow comes I for one will be sick and tired of hearing promises, promises.

For two pins I would not listen to the television news until it is all over - but then I would miss news stories which it is important to hear.   So I must endure it all.

The one thing I can say though is that by the time Election Day comes I am sure all the candidates will be absolutely exhausted.  I suppose if you win then the euphoria will carry you along.   If you don't win - and of course that will be the majority of people electioneering - then I am sure total and complete meltdown will be the order of the day.

Our seat here in North Yorkshire, where Rt Hon William Hague has been the MP - and which is I believe the safest seat for the Conservatives in the whole country - is a whole new ball game this time.   William Hague was much respected by citizens of every persuasion because he was such a good constituency MP.  Now his resignation from the Government for pastures new means  we shall have to get used to a new face whoever it is.   For some things I wish I could go to sleep tonight and wake up in thirty eight days time.

14 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

I totally understand Weaver. Hang in there. :) Hugs! deb

angryparsnip said...

Just remember how lucky you are...
Only 38 days.
Our election garbage starts right after the election. It really never goes away.
The newly elected start the run to keep their seat, while the other party start regrouping.
Hillary Clinton has been non-running for over 4 years, Will she or won't she.
I am so sick of hearing her non- election speeches. Blah blah blah.
Oh My God can you see Bill back in the White House with all the oversea money that their "charity" received. White House for sale anyone.
Well enough of that.
You are so lucky. Just remember only 38 days.
I am happy the seeds came. I hope they will do well in your garden.
I will plant some too but in a pot.

cheers, parsnip

Sue in Suffolk said...

Just 38 days - Oh Goody!

From A Worcestershire Hill said...

We have today received our first election pamphlet via Royal Mail. We are now waiting for the first local candidate or their representative to walk up the hill to persuade us to vote for him/her.

Gwil W said...

38 days is a klax. You can handle it. It's a lot worse here in Austria. You can hardly cross the street for election hoardings causing traffic hazards and distractions on every corner.

Heather said...

You sound about as enthusiastic as I am . We had our first leaflet through the post this morning. I will vote but am trying not to think about doing so for 38 days!

Joanne Noragon said...

What we wouldn't give for a 38 day campaign limit.

Cloudia said...

Democracy is exhausting. Just be glad you aren't an American. The collection on offer here is a sin and a shame



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Cro Magnon said...

Hague was a good man with an unfortunate face and voice; probably one of the best pukka politicians of his day. I wonder who you'll get to replace him.

Acornmoon said...

Ha, I know the feeling!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

While I'm not quite as cynical as angryparsnip, I'm not that far off. I think you should rejoice, Weaver! Thirty eight days is nothing.

Frances said...

I also envy you your short campaign season, as compared to the endless process that occurs here in the States. Federal, state and local government officials have office terms of varying lengths.

Running for office over here is a very costly business, and money is always a chief ingredient in the election results.

38 days may be a better way to focus attention on isssues?

Best wishes.

Terry and Linda said...

I hate losing someone who is GOOD and fair...it's always hard...

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

thelma said...

Well Osbourne made a fair pizza yesterday. Politicians demonstrating their culinary skills? useful if they need another job - please give us all strength to get through endless promises. ......