Tuesday 25 August 2009

The Complete Bloggers' Library Shelf.

Well, I will say this for you, Bloggy Friends, you are an eclectic lot! So here is a Bloggers'Library, made up of your choices and listed in alphabetical order.
First the poetry shelf. There would be works by:
William Blake, Roberty Browning, e e cummings, Robert Frost, Seamus Heaney, Alfred Noyes, Tennyson, Wordsworth. Let's say that the top shelf of our bookcase would be the complete works of all of these.
Now the the rest. Well, bloggers, if we all work our way through this lot we shall not be short of reading matter for a year or two. So here they are in alphabetical order of authors:

Jane Austen - complete works; Lewis Carroll - Alice in Wonderland; Pat Conroy - The Prince of Tides; EM Forster "Room with a View", Sebastian Foulks - Birdsong; Kenneth Grahame - Wind in the Willows; Herman Hesse - Complete works; James Herriot - The complete works; Elizabeth Jane Howard - Complete works; James Joyce - Finnegan's Wake; Charles Kuralt - On the Road; Jack Kerouac - On the Road; Milan Kundera - The Unbearable Lightness of Being; Ted Kerasote - Meale's Door Lessons from a Freethinking Dog; Anne Morrow Lindbergh - Gift from the Sea; Harper Lee - To Kill a Mocking Bird; Sarah Orne Jewett - The County of the Pointed Firs; Colleen McCullough - First Man in Rome; Hermann Melville - Moby Dick; Ian McKewan - The Daydreamers; Margaret Mitchell - Gone with the Wind; L M Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables; Mervyn Peake - Gormenghast; Mollie Painter-Downe -Good Evening, Mrs Craven; Shel Silverstein; Carol Shields - The Stone Diaries; WG Sebald - Austerlitz; John Steinbeck - Travels with Charley; Mark Twain - Huckleberry Finn; JRR Tolkein - The Hobbit; John Wain - Strike the Father Dead; PG Wodehouse - The Complete works.

That seems to be it. If I have missed anyone out I do apologise - but there is certainly plenty there to keep us all going over the winter - enjoy your read!

PS If you go over to Caroline at Coastcard you will see that she has a whole shelf of her own to add to this.

## Addenda. More suggestions are coming in - so here is another shelf full to add to things:-

The Bible; Poetry of Mary Oliver; Wallace Stegner's "All the Little Live Things"; The Poetry of Stephen Crane; May Doria Russell's "The Sparrow"; Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" - and for Friko - any female modern poet you choose to add.
What astonishes me is that there is not a travel book amongst them apart from the steinbeck. Maybe I shall have to run a special travel book meme in the future!

27 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yes, that'll keep us busy and out f trouble
as they used to say!
Thanks for organizing this fun event.

steven said...

hello weaver, i wish it was summer holiday time starting all over again and then i could stack these all up and read them end-to-end!!! great collection and nice work assembling it all!!!! have a lovely day in the dale! steven

Caroline Gill said...

What a reading feast for us all! If I felt indecisive to start with, I think my raft will now be totally awash with reading material...

Thank you, Weaver, I shall enjoy exploring the books that are new to me.

cristinoel said...

What a wonderful lot of intelligent and well moraled people we are. And if any have not read any of those books they shall really be entertained or enlightened in the right direction. The only one I see missing is the Bible, which leads the soul heavenward.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Well done Weaver. It's interesting to see people's choices. I am late to the party, but would take Wallace Stegner's "All the Little Live Things" to re-read. But, knowing me, I could never limit myself to just one book - I like to have a choice - the book has to suit the mood!

Loon said...

Lots of food for thought here. I'll be rethinking my own response for many days, continuing to wonder, what IS it that makes a book a favorite. I'm going to take all the ones I already own that were recommended, and line them up on a special shelf and definitely dip into them. Thanks for a stimulating event!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

What a lot of reading material! I've hardly read any of them, except the Tolkien, which would be on my list if we were allowed more than one book each!

I wonder what it would have been like if the authors of some of these books had blogged!!

the walking man said...

Oh but surely you could squeeze in a small volume of poetry by Stephen Crane a pre-Sandburg free verse poet and novelist.

Jenn Jilks said...

Too many books, too many choices! I found 100 books onceuponatime! I put it on my teaching blog, which was supposed to turn into a book. Oops. Didn't happen!

Heather said...

There is certainly something there to please everyone Weaver. I feel really sad for people who don't enjoy reading. I shall tuck myself up early tonight with a book as I have used up all today's energy (and probably tomorrow's as well) on the garden. I never mind being tired from gardening - it is so worthwhile.

Titus said...

Well done Weaver, really interesting. A lovely, eclectic bookshelf!

gleaner said...

Thanks Weaver, more books to add to my list.

Leenie said...

Travels with Charley is one of my very favorites too. Great list. Your blog followers have great taste!

Friko said...

What, no female, modern poets?
I am glad to see Hesse and Sebald have houseroom on your shelves, two of my absolute favourites.
Sorry, i've obviously come in late to this discussion, I'm not quite sure, what it's all about. The booklist is certainly a mixed lot.

Amy said...

your list looks a bit like mine, gotta love the older books. Anne of Green Gables and Little Women are special favourites of mine.

Cloudia said...

What a fine group I find myself in!

aloha, aesthetes ;-]
Comfort Spiral

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

You are right about favorite books depending on mood (yesterday's post?). I just finished reading Anne of Green Gables (ref your last post) for the umpteenth right in the midst of another book just.... because

Kathleen said...

How ever did I miss this?

I would add:

Poetry: Mary Oliver for her spare, glorious poetry of nature
Fiction: The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (an intriguing mystery complete with Jesuit explorers, a new planet, questions of spirituality and morality, and some of my favorite characters ever).

But, alas, I am too late.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for joining in with such gusto. Nobody is too late - I am just going to pop over and add the titles here to the bookshelf - there is plenty of room.

The Solitary Walker said...

I'm late on this - but would choose a travel book: Patrick Leigh Fermor's 'A Time Of Gifts'.

The Solitary Walker said...

PS Love 'Travels With Charley' too...

The Weaver of Grass said...

Npbpdy is too late, folks - I am just going to pop over and add your suggestions to the shelf.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sorry I hit the p instead of the o in nobody - actually it looks such an interesting word that I have left it!

The Solitary Walker said...

Gppd fpr ypu, Weaver!

Mistlethrush said...

I'd like to add an autobio of a trip - A Single Swallow by Horatio Clare. The prose is like poetry in places and it shows you as much about people and cultures as it does the birds.

Kim Palmer said...

Thank goodness I have read a few of these suggestions or I might be here for life! LOL! What a fabulous and varied lot of reading matter, probably a great reflection of us all.

Anonymous said...

Well, you can add, Thomas Hardy to the poets for me! Although Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes would be a close second.

I don't know what I would pick for fiction - perhaps, although I haven't read it in a few years, it would be David Copperfield.