Tuesday 26 July 2022

Tuesday = covid free.

So far so good, I am only testing every other day but  I was alright yesterday.   This morning, after my carer had gone, I went to sleep and slept all morning in my chair.   I have no symptoms - no throat, no headache, nothing - just very tired.   I have made myself be a bit more active this afternoon.

It seems as though we might have had a very wet night because there  were great puddles of water in the road this morning and everywhere looked wet - we can certainly do with it - as much as anything to wet the ground enough to discourage wild fires breaking out.   Plants and lawns desperately needing water is one thing but farmers needs and wild fires are in an altogether different league.

England's Ladies are playing Sweden in the Football semi-final tonight.   I shalln't watch it.   That kind of tension is too much these days for my fragile frame to bear. I shall watch for the result on the ten o'clock News bulletin.

I have never planted Antirrhinums in my garden.   From somewhere they have seeded themselves.   Now they do it every Summer and they are haphazardly dotted about all over the garden.   At first they were all yellow.   Then they were yellow and a few dark red.   This year there are also some pale salmon pink ones as though the colours have mixed on a palette.   And    I welcome them freely and wonder what colour will emerge next.   Thought I might run a sweepstake on it!  (if I am still here next summer!)

Also in the garden the crocosmia (montbretia as was) are out.   I have four different ones - three red and one yellow - the yellow one nothing like as rampant.   They remind me of my childhood - it grew like a weed in our garden.   Talk about being a reliable plant. 

Until tomorrow friends.

15 comments:

Heather said...

So good to hear you are Covid free. How lovely to have free anthyrrinums (I'm sure that is not the correct spelling). I loved playing with the fallen blossoms as a child and knew them then as 'snap dragons'.
Plenty of clouds but no rain today and the forecast is mainly dry for the southwest during August. Not good news for farmers, growers and gardeners.
I had a lovely nap after lunch but have perked up now that clouds have parted and I can see a large patch of blue sky. So much more comfortable.

Derek Faulkner said...

Despite the cloudy conditions here, the drought continues at some pace and several new perennials that I planted in the Spring have now died - trying to grow alongside a 2in wide crack that was a few inches deep in the border, gave them little chance. Despite all the digging and manuring that I've done to the borders, cracks are appearing throughout them as the ground dries out.

the veg artist said...

There's rampant crocosmia here too, not planted by us though. Looks good in a long, tall vase, including some of the leaves, and lasts well. We had enough rain in West Wales to half drown on Saturday and Sunday,but we did need it. It was enough to fill the water butts by the greenhouse. It's quite cool here today compared to last week!

Librarian said...

Good to know you have still been testing negative and have no symptoms. Tiredness is certainly to be expected after all the paper work you have been doing.
It has been raining here during the night and there were a few showers in the morning, but the afternoon was dry and quite warm once the sun came out properly. Tomorrow is going to be dry and sunny again, good for a day out at Newby Hall.

thelma said...

We have had gentle rain for a lot of the time, and to be honest it is quite cold as well. It must be uplifting to see the succession of flowers, the ones that come unexpectedly and the ones that have been planted.

Barbara Anne said...

SO glad to hear you're still covid-free and are just tired. As I recently read:
"Any day can be improved by a nap."
We need rain, too, and have asked the Cosmos for rain where it's needed and good drainage where there has been too much.
Hope your son can take a photo of your garden and the pots by the door and add them to your blog so we can see, too. It sounds beautiful and am so happy you get so much enjoyment from those glorious colors.

Hugs!

Tom Stephenson said...

4 - 0 to England, Weave.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Brilliant score - well done to the Lionesses.

Librarian - enjoy Newby Hall.

vic said...

Oh I love crocosmia. I planted a number of them this spring and they have all come up and bloomed. I'd tried several times years ago with no success. I'd plant and they would come up but no blooms, so I would move them thinking that they just didn't like the situation where I had placed them, but no luck. Finally I decided that those were just something that I wasn't supposed to grow and ignored all those luscious pics in the flower catalogs. But this spring a bag full of corms or bulbs, whichever they are, were on sale and I took the bait, planted them and voila up they came. What made the difference? Who knows. The hummingbirds have enjoyed them as the flowers opened up along the tip of the stalk. So pretty and graceful looking. I'm hoping that they reseed since I would love to have a large clump of them next year.

Susan said...

I love it when plants randomly pop up. I call them "volunteers." Your garden always sounds prolific and lovely. Lucky you to get rain. It continues to be bone dry here. At least it was cooler at 78 degrees F. Delightful.

sparklingmerlot said...

My brother has spent a few days in your neck of the woods and sent an email describing all the towns and hamlets he visited. Lots of dales! The photos are stunning. You do live in a lovely part of the world.
I love waiting to see what surprises choose to grow. Sadly the garden in this house appears to have been neglected for a long time and the only thing that pops up year after year are random fig trees from seeds "deposited" by birds.

Cro Magnon said...

I've just looked at our forecast and see that the promised rain for Friday is no longer there. Back to the watering cans!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I have tried so hard to get crocosmia going with no success - I love the orange red with all the lavenders and whites that we have at this season.

ceci

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you everyone.

Granny Sue said...

I do hope you managed to avoid Covid infection, Pat. My husband and I have it now. Not too bad for me but he seems to be a little worse with it. No fun.