Monday 13 June 2022

This, that and the other.

Well, not maybe 'the other' - just about past that I am afraid although when I asked my gardener (he called with a new rose bush he had bought me (Floribunda Joie de Vivre') if he could 'do me a favour' his reply was rather risque (I didn't hear exactly what he said and had to ask his help mate and partner to repeat it).  The favour was to give the farthest outdoor pot its weekly jug of feed as it is a long journey round the bungalow to do it and he was standing quite close to the pot and is, in any case' quite nimble footed.

Things appear to be back to normal so far thank goodness.   But the temporary gap in communications did make me realise just how much I valued our almost daily chats. I have to think about what to say, I have to actually go into my computer room and put my words into the computer, I have to read your comments and your blog for the day - all these things mean using my brain.   On the days when I can walk round the block I still try to chat to six folk if I can but there are days when my mobility is not up to it.   Without you all some days would be very lonely - so it is certainly good to be back - even if all the things I was going to say have flown the nest that is my brain these days.

Well - one week to the longest day and this morning I have had the central heating on while I ate my cereal and banana and drank my first cup of coffee.   In spite of the weather forecasters telling me we are to be sub tropical by the week end it is breezy and cloudy here and I still am wearing many layers.

Looking out at the garden (D my gardener, gave it a good going over at the weekend including all Mares tail being cut back to ground level.   It is actually quite a pretty weed.   I shall never get rid of it - it is a pre historic plant and actually quite pretty - but according to authorities keeping it cut to ground level and NEVER pulling it up, does eventually weaken it and that is what we are doing.  Aquellegia - now that is another matter.  Such a pretty plant.    I have one which I bought - large flowered - pink and yellow but so far it hasn;t self seeded so just one plant.   But the garden is full of purple ones, white ones, pink ones and here and there a blue one.   They are very pretty but you can have too much of a good thing   So they are   welcome to flower but then , before they go to seed,we intend to go through the garden and cut down all but  just the ones we want next year.  Sorry but there it is.

Because I have been feeling a bit low being unable to walk out in the gale which has been blowing for days and because we discussed our last two books at Book Group last Monday and I have been waiting for our next read to arrive (Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) I have been re-reading Clare Balding's 'Walking Home'  from my Bookshelves.   It is an easy read and it is very enjoyable, full of snippets about the places she has walked, about the horse racing world (her father and then her brother are trainers to H M) and about her broadcasting snippets.   I am much enjoying it and can thoroughly recommend it for anyone wanting really light reading.

Well, lunch calls - don't know what it is until I switch the microwave off but I know there will be lots of veggies and a tasty plateful.  

See you tomorrow.

 

29 comments:

Sue said...

Oh I agree Mare's Tail is such a pretty weed, but wow so invasive, as my Dad found out on his allotment many years ago. Even though he had been a home gardener for many years he made the rookie mistake of rotavating his new plot without waiting to see what was lurking under the soil. You can guess the outcome can't you ... a 6-7 year fight with Mare's Tail that had spread itself nicely through the broken up roots to every nook and cranny of the whole plot. The only weed free place was the little greenhouse. I learnt from his mistake and took the route you are taking to eradicate it and bindweed from my first garden.

Yellow Shoes said...

I'm only allowed to comment on a few blogs now; thank goodness yours is one of them.
I can't comment on Rachel or John's blogs anymore but I understand completely their need for security tightening in the light of trolls.

Librarian said...

Sorry to hear you've been feeling a bit low. Hopefully, the weather will be the right kind for you to go out with Priscilla again, talking to your friendly neighbours and a dog or two along the way.
The book you have mentioned, "Walking Home", sounds like something I would enjoy, apart from the horse racing bit (which I am simply not interested in).

Rachel Phillips said...

I have changed nothing on my blog in 10 years Anne.

Ellen D. said...

Glad your blog is working again. I know what you mean about enjoying the socializing that blogs offer us. I am a reader, not a blogger, but I miss hearing from my blogging friends when things aren't working right or I can't get to my computer. Thanks for posting!

Yellow Shoes said...

Rachel, that's good to know; I'll try again.
I wanted to comment the other day on your blog about Thailand's tradition of the young looking after the old but it took me on a circular - "log in, ok now you've logged in, now just one more thing, can you log in?"
Google is a fickle mistress!

( Apologies to Pat for using your comments as a garden wall to chat over to someone else )

Anonymous said...

Oh, mare’s tail is SUCH a battle! Fortunately I don’t have it in my current gardens (yet!) but I remember in a previous house, it came through the tarmac driveway. I admire it, but I don’t want any, thank you! Aquilegia remind me so much of my grandparents’ cottage Cardenas. It was such a joy to see the ‘Granny’s Bonnets nodding away to each other. Here in my little corner of Canada, I have tulips, lupins, poppies, and peonies all blooming like fury. The growing season is short but fast, so it can feel a little bit jungle-like. I shall order Clare Balding’s book!
Mrs F

Melinda from Ontario said...

I learned something new from you once again. I don't have Mare's tail in my garden but I have a huge problem with Bindweed, (Creeping Jenny). After I read about your gardener's method of cutting the Mare's Tail back to soil level I starting researching the best way to get rid of Bindweed. Apparently the same method is used. If you tear it out by roots as I always do, it'll just sprout back (you can never get all the roots!) Cutting it back to soil level multiple times, however, prevents photosynthesis from happening and starves the roots. Apparently this is the only hope of eradicating it for ever. I will try to be a cutter as apposed to a puller from now on.

Anonymous said...

There are some wonderful film and video Canterbury Tales adaptations, don't know if you ever do any "streaming" (is it even called that there?) but if so it might be a fun addition to your book.

ceci

Barbara Anne said...

It's always a treat to visit with you!
Have you ever read any of Rosamund Pilchard's books? She has been writing since the 1960s and her first book or one of her first was "The Shell Seekers". I think I read that book decades ago, but recently have read two of her much later books and loved them due to a pleasant plot and wonderful characters.
Enjoy the riot of colors in your delightful garden! Can you look out a window to the garden as you eat your meals?

Hugs!

JayCee said...

I can just imagine you and your gardener having a little flirty conversation.
Although not cold enough over here to switch on the heating, the weather so far has been a little disappointing for June. Dull and overcast today but at least the strong wind has dropped so the plants can recover from their battering.

Susan said...

Your garden sounds beautiful with color. Invasive plants/weeds can take over and require lots of taming. I'm glad you and your gardener have a good weed management system. I've never heard about cutting to the ground v. pulling out. Thank you. This is good to know. My weed problem is poison ivy that grows up the side of trees and if not managed chokes the tree as well as climbs to neighboring trees. My neighbor is experimenting and he is cutting it to the ground and then pouring weed killer on the ground.

The Weaver of Grass said...

JayCee - The wind has been a real problem over the last fortnight -buffeting everything in its path.

Barbara - No I have to concentrate when I eat owing to my shake.

Mares Tail is a prehistoric weed - one of the oldest plants known. You will never eradicate iit - but you can keep it under control.

Derek Faulkner said...

Very warm and sunny here Pat, with very hot forecast for the next few days - probably not what you and some of your blogging friends would like.

The Feminine Energy said...

I'm so glad we bless you as much as YOU bless us, Weaver! Your blog is a joy to read and I look forward to it. Your words never fail to brighten my day. ~Andrea xoxo

Anonymous said...

My mother tried to tame and clear our backyard when I was a kid. Previous owners had let it go. Lots of maple trees, morning glory(weed, not garden type, nettles and.horsetail/mares tail. She would break the main bit of mares tail and put the sap on nettle burns. It soothed the skin quickly. So, there is a use for that weed!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting that mares tail sooths nettle stings isn't it/


I would love a spell of warm weather Derek - I am still wearing layers of clothes.

Thank you everyone for joining in.

jinxxxygirl said...

Oh Pat what i wouldn't give for a dose of your weather... Here we have been up over 100 degrees F for weeks now.. every day.. with a 20mph wind to boot.. uuughh.. I get up VERY early to do anything outside and try to be back inside by 10am.. I think it is going to be a long , hot, dry Summer.. Love to hear about your flowers though i often don't recognize the names.. I know alot about plants but i daresay you know more than me.. .Maybe i just call them something else... I hope to be having some plants around here by next year.. This year is all about getting Hubby his shop .. Next year yard! We won't have much as it would cost too much to keep it watered.. But i will plant some drought tolerant species for sure.. Take care dear friend. Hugs! debs

The Furry Gnome said...

I too get a lot of my social life out of writing a blog. Keep up the good work!

Jennifer Barlow said...

It's amazing to me that you're having to use your heat right now! It's unbearably hot in eastern South Carolina this week. In fact, it's dangerously hot. With my current asthma woes I can't even step outside for more than a minute or I can't breathe! With the high temperatures and high humidity it's like trying to breathe with a hot wet blanket over your face. Really awful.

I'm glad you're able to get back in to comment on blogs and to write posts. We all love hearing from you!

I'm sure you're asleep by now (it must be after midnight where you are) so I hope you have a good day tomorrow. I sure wish I could send you some heat! :)

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope the weather clears soon, for a walk!

Cro Magnon said...

Claire Baldwin has proved to be a remarkable woman. There's not much she can't do; and do well.

Hilde said...

I only have a few mare´s tail in my garden, and my grandsons love it, they call it dinosaur´s weed. My grandmother used to call it tin weed. She said it was good to clean the plates and cups made of tin which were used here before china became affordable.
Hilde in Germany

River said...

Popped over via Magnon's Meanderings, am a little envious of your Aquilegia, I love them but have never been able to grow them. I love your header picture.

Anonymous said...

Floribunda Joie de Vivre sound a lovely name for a rose. Husband and I were delighted to read in the paper a new rose release and its name has special significance for us. We have lots of roses in our garden, as well as a lemon tree our neighbour Les, made us cut back, much to the disappointment of those who availed themselves of an over-the-fence lemon or two when needed, on a help yourself basis.
The name of the rose? "Miserable Les' - we ordered it in, much to the delight of the nursery staff.- Pam, Aust.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Pam - cleverly written - I waited eagerly to see what the name of the rose was - you made me wait until the end.

In teresting to read so much about mares tail. Hardly surprising that it has had its uses in the past as it is apparently a prehistoric weed.

Thanks everyone - sorry it is so hot in some places - by all means send a bit of heat over here but we could do with a good wet day first.

Ufa88kh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daisy Debs said...

Glad you're o.k. and enjoying the garden . I enjoy reading your blog too and all the lovely people's comments down below . Debbie x

hart said...

Glad Blogger is cooperating again.