I had a friend coming for coffee this morning and it occurred to me just before she came that there really are some things in life that you look back on as being so very enjoyable - they might be expensive, they might be free but you remember them because they 'fitted the bill'. So here are a few of mine - can you add any?
1. Sitting with a friend enjoying a drink. This applies to any drink - anywhere, but in my case sitting in the sitting room, the January sun shining through the window just mulling over events. This is what happened this morning with friend M, who only lives at the bottom of the road opposite. She walked up for half past ten and stayed until half past twelve and we chatted about this and that - books we are reading or had read - our families - things happening in the world - no subject barred.
2. Sitting in a garden chair in the middle of Summer straight after finishing all the weeding and getting the garden straight. Yes, when you have done this, just for a day or two the garden is pretty perfect until weeds begin to grow again - so sit down with a drink and enjoy it.
3. Trying on, buying and wearing 'the perfect dress' - the one that is exactly the colour you imagined, fits perfectly and is not too expensive. (and being complimented for how you look in it).
4. Walking either with your dearest one, with a group of friends, your rambling group - any pleasant company - on one of your favourite walks on a perfect day - admiring the glorious views, having a lovely picnic and arriving home just tired enough to have a nightcap and an early night.
5. Arriving at your favourite holiday destination with your chosen companions, stepping off the plane, arriving at the hotel and knowing you have your whole holiday in front of you.
6. If your dog is in kennels seeing how pleased he/she is to see you when you arrive back in the kennels after the holiday.
We must all have different ones - what can you add?