Monday 20 December 2021

Tired

Old age is definitely creeping up on me.   I do try very hard to keep active but some days it is hard.   Only a few things to do today - take a present round next door for Theo the dog, who lives in Pocklington.   I know his 'Gran' is going down shortly for the Christmas break.   This involves opening the garage doors (mechanical up and over) walking along the front of my bungalow, over the threshold of next door's drive and then along the front of that bungalow eventually reaching the front door.  'Granny' is out and the present (a long wriggly snake which Granny has said she will wrap for me) will not wriggle through the letter box and I go back home.

The door bell rings.   It is my Tesco Home Delivery.   The Tesco men are marvellous - he helps me unpack onto the work surface in the kitchen (I am unsteady if I bend down).   Before I put the things away I always wipe out the fridge and the cupboard shelves - that done I can use Priscilla's cousin to put everything a way apart from the one or two things which are to go into a Christmas box.

Then I sit  down for a while to recover my equilibrium.   Time for lunch - roast pork and all the trimmings today - heated in the microwave and delicious.   It is now mid afternoon and I still have not done the Mind Games.   Soon my "mind" will be past it today - I like to do them first thing the morning.

My MUST DO job today is to do my nails.   It has got to time for my ZOOM with friends and I still have not had time to do them.   The post lady came with a mysterious parcel - quite a heavy one and from my God daughter.   A mystery this as she has already bought me my present (a year' subscription to Country Living.)   I resist the urge to open it.   The post lady and I inspect it - shake it  - smell it - and agree it is not eatable so it can wait.   The child in me loves opening presents in Christmas morning.

I have a nice chubby little Melton Mowbray Pork Pie from my order today for my tea together with Tesco's potato salad, cole slaw and a tomato.  But first my Zoom at 5pm.   I have had trouble getting on for the last few times (we meet once a fortnight) and I have just had an idea today.  I wonder if the trouble started when we changed the time - I didn't have it on  automatic change.   I have changed it and - keeping my fingers crossed - hope I might get on easily tonight.

I still have not come down completely to earth after Strictly.   That really was television at its very best and I don't think I have ever been more moved by a programme.

I heard from my relations in Australia this morning - lovely to get a phone call from them - so very far away and J sounds as though she is in the next room...my son, about a mile away from me over a couple of fields, often sounds as though his voice is coming from Australia.   So thank you J for calling me - and Christmas wishes to you and toJ.

23 comments:

Debby said...

I have decided to make a nice lasagna Christmas Eve and tuck it in the fridge. Christmas day I can put it in the oven and serve it with a salad and garlic bread. It is a strange Christmas dinner, I suppose, but everyone likes lasagna. It will be easy to serve and clean up. I can just relax and enjoy the day.

Librarian said...

Did you manage to attend the zoom meeting after changing to automatic time setting?
I do the same with parcels that arrive before Christmas - I shake them (slightly, of course), smell them, examine them from the outside, but like you, I love opening presents at the right time and so I also resist my own curiosity and leave them unopened until Christmas.
If someone sent you something edible that needs opening before Christmas I think they would be intelligent enough to state so on the outside of the parcel, this time of year!
Your lunch and tea sound sumptuous! I remember how salmon featured frequently on your menue.

Catsngrams said...

Merry Christmas and blessings to you. Old age is not for the weak that is sure. I guess we just need to learn to slow down. We have snow here in the USA so I tread very softly when I go out. Which I do not do very often. I have learned that I do not pick my feet up as high as I used to so now I have to think with each step. Take care and enjoy the holidays.

the veg artist said...

Please, Weave, explain why you have to do your nails before a Zoom call? What do you do on these calls?

Rachel Phillips said...

You are very fortunate if old age is only just creeping up on you. If you have a timed recurring Zoom session then I expect it is important to have the clock right.

Susan said...

Opening your present on Christmas morning will be a happy event. The anticipation of "what's in the box" is always so tempting. Can your doc do some labs to determine why you are tired sometimes? Checking for a (nutrient/vitamin) deficiency is easy.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

That sounds like a fairly busy day - I'm still trying to work out exactly what I have achieved today.

RunNRose said...

I'm wondering what happened about the snake that wouldnt wriggle through the letter box. I hope the problem was solved somehow. Maybe those friends who visit you frequently could help? Hope you tell us what is in the box when you open it!

Melinda from Ontario said...

I wish I could watch Strictly Come Dancing. I know I'd love it. There's a possibility I could stream it but I'm reluctant to pay for another streaming service when I already pay for two. It sounds like you had a very productive day. Just getting groceries delivered and sorted, and fridge tidied up sounds like a huge job...especially while relying on Priscilla. Enjoy book club tonight. I'm sure it will work this time.

Heather said...

I am 3 years younger than you and it often gets to bedtime when I ask myself what I have done with the day. At our age if we have done anything we can be satisfied! Everything takes effort. Having a shower and washing one's hair. Changing the bed linen and dealing with a load of laundry. Every movement counts as exercise in my book! Be proud of yourself for having a daily walk as often as possible and keeping your mind active. You are doing fine.

Ellen D. said...

It sounds to me as if you have done quite enough for the day today! You often sound busier than me and I am not your age yet so I think you are doing very well.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Answers to your questions. Yes indeed - once I had put the time correctly on my computer clock then it allowed the Zoom to work perfectly. It just suddenly struck me that it was timed. And why did I have to do my nails before going on? No reason just that I broke a nail a week ago and have been going to do them every day and never got round to it. They are done now. Shall I wash my own hair? I have cancelled my hair appointments for a few weeks because of covid - I might well try washing it muself tomorrow.

Susan said...

I wish I had half your energy. Enjoy your parcel, I wonder what is in it.

the veg artist said...

Weave, you might feel that "Old age is definitely creeping up on me", but only in the physical sense. Mentally, you seem to be powering on and you are an inspiration.

gz said...

Pirate is feeling tired too at only 82! However it is Solstice today..and he has been chatting with his mates in Oz for half an hour..so he is feeling better already!!

Rachel Fox said...

Greetings from Scotland, Pat! Love to you all.
Rachel and family
xxx

Anonymous said...

Funny experience this morning Pat, age-related. There are long waits for counter service this close to Christmas. My friend recounted that the number at the deli counter late afternoon had got up to number 98. As her ticket was 99, she noticed 98 on the floor and a man walking by . "Are you 98?" she asked quickly. "No he replied confused." I'm 84 - do I look 98, do I?" Seems we are all caught up in the Christmas daze. -Pam, Aust.

Maudie said...

Wishing you a lovely Christmas and all the best in the New Year.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Pat,
Indeed age does change our pace and we get far less done in a day and/or it wears us out.
But we take it one day at a time.
The painters are hanging the shutters back onto the exterior. Hoping that they get it all done today and we finally are on our own and kind of back to routine.
Life goes so fast!
Today is the SHORTEST DAY...
Wishing you a meaningful remainder of this 4th Advent and Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Mariette

Sue said...

It's always nice to have a surprise parcel to unwrap on Christmas morning isn't it. I usually delay by drinking my coffee, eating my breakfast and then and only then do I settle down to slowly unwrap my surprise.

Over the course of the last 8 months I have slowed down so much, life changes and we just have to adapt as best we can or go mad ... some days I just go mad it's easier ;-)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Lovely to read some interesting and amusing stories in your replies today - keep us all going please in these busy pre Christmas days.

Mariette - thank you for reminding us that today is the shortest day = it can only get better.

Thanks everyone.

The Feminine Energy said...

Merry Christmas to you, Weaver, and a very happy healthy New Year ahead. I hope you managed to get your nails done and connect to Zoom with less issues. It is a quiet day around here, in northern-most Indiana in the USA. We celebrated our family's Christmas last Saturday so for us "Christmas" is over for another year. The grandgirls (ages 10 & 13) stayed on until this coming Thursday, at which time we'll drive them back home to Michigan (about a 50 minute drive).There they'll have their other set of grandparents waiting for them, along with an aunt & uncle... to celebrate Christmas once again. Everyone has been vaccinated, boosted, and tested right before gather... the same as we did here at our house. Can't be too careful these days. Stay safe, dear blogging friend! ~Andrea xoxoxo

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you Andrea for your Christmas wishes - and everyone else too.