Friday 15 October 2021

Another nothing day.

Well I did at least get a good walk in today as the weather, slightly Autumnal, was a clear blue sky and almost no wind.   So after doing the Mind Games in The Times and giving the sun a couple of hours to warm up the land a bit Priscilla and I set off on our usual walk.   We stopped to  chat to the man who had planted and cared for the Hollyhock.   I commented on how beautiful they had been and he said they felt it had been a risk but they were so pleased with the result that they intended to put up some sort of wooden trellis along the side of their house so that the holly hocks didn't fall about all over.   My philosophy has always been to compliment people who have given me pleasure and he was obviously pleased I had mentioned them.

Getting back home I had a phone call from a friend to say that a mutual friend J had died suddenly.   Maybe in her late seventies or thereabouts and seemingly fairly fit her husband had found her dead in bed - just peacefully asleep.   A dreadful shock to everyone but how much more to him. It has unsettled us all for the day I am sure but how much more so for him when he has to adjust his whole life anew.

After lunch my neighbour H walked round and we chatted the afternoon away as the sun slowly sank and now, at half past six in the evening it is almost dark - and another ten weeks or so to the shortest day.   I shall go and make myself a sandwich for my tea.   I slept poorly last evening so I shall be ready for bed early this evening - hope I can stay awake through Gardeners' World. 

12 comments:

Yellow Shoes said...

I took a cue from you today and talked to neighbours on my walk instead of just smiling.
What interesting lives people have.
Everyone is interesting if you listen long enough.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your friend. Last August my Grandmother passed in the exact same way at age 81. Just took an afternoon nap and didn't wake up, completely unexpected. A good way to go, I know, but hard on those left behind, especially my Grandfather.
Your blog is wonderful, thank you for writing it.

Country Cottage said...

So sorry to hear about the passing of your friend Pat. Hope you sleep well tonight. Viv

Debby said...

I am also sorry to hear about the death of your friend. I'm glad that you got your walk today, and a chance to compliment your gardener neighbor. Everyone blooms a bit brighter with a bit of praise, don't they?

Heather said...

So sorry to hear about your friend - such a shock for her husband and family, but I hope they can find comfort in that she died so peacefully.
The gardens are still looking beautiful and so far October has been a kind month for them
Sleep well - sweet dreams.

CharlotteP said...

Very sorry to hear about your friend, Pat. A lovely way for her to go, but as you say such a shock for her friends and those closest to her.
My Mom and I used to go into Ludlow every Thursday for shopping and lunch, and on the way home, always passed a house with a cobbled frontage (no soil visible at all), up the side of the house, and seemingly growing straight through the concrete between the cobbles, grew hollyhocks of every colour. Mom so enjoyed the display that she got me to take a photograph of them, and that year, sent the house owners a Christmas card with a picture of their hollyhocks on, saying how much she looked forward to seeing them every year!

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm sorry about the friend. Big changes coming for her husband.

Bonnie said...

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. It must have been quite a shock for friends and family. I'm glad to hear you did get your walk in today. Your visit with friends and neighbors sounds very nice. I hope you get a good night's sleep.

Tom Stephenson said...

I am sorry to hear that, Weave. Poor man left behind. I think I would like to go like that though.

Chris said...

Sad for you to hear of a friends death, I have lost 4 lovely friends over the last few years and I miss them..yes I have lovely memorie. s but its not the same is it Pat.
You manage so well and I always feel a bit guilty when you say you've been out walking as I too need to walk daily, but often don't because I don't want to!

The Feminine Energy said...

I slept zip...zero...last night (Friday night) so I'll be ready for bed nice & early tonight myself. I am so very sorry to hear of your friend's death. What a beautiful way to go though, in her sleep, but oh so hard for those left behind. My condolences to all. ~Andrea xoxo

The Weaver of Grass said...

Charlotte what a lovely idea. The man I spoke to was obviously upset that their hollyhock 'sprawled' and I must say it did rather spoil the effect as the season progressed,but your idea is wonderful.

Thanks fo all your good wishes - I slept much better last night and also feel much better about my friend today. What will be will be.