Saturday 29 May 2021

The Spirit is willing......

 but the flesh is weak.    Oh what jobs I plan for the garden while sitting in my chair after lunch.   But do those jobs get done?   Well, first of all I fell asleep after lunch (delicious as usual).   Friends S and T called this morning - S to get my television in order and retune it for me.   She did this with what appeared to be no effort at all.  I could never have done it however hard I tried. T to repair the door knobs on the bathroom and dining room doors (dining room took all of one minute as it just needed tightening) bathroom he needed a different screw but he has 'mended' it for now.   It really is a case of 'horses for courses' - both jobs are totally outside any knowledge I might ever have had.   I can't thank them enough - they make it look so easy.  We had a coffee and a chocolate biscuit and sat and chatted and they went at lunch time.   I had had a lovely morning and got two jobs done at the same time.

After lunch I intended to pot up my two tubs by the front door.   D my gardener, had put the tubs, the compost and the plants on the wall so that I could reach them.    What happened?   I sat in the chair with my after lunch coffee and fell asleep.   I woke up an hour later with no idea of the time of day or where I was.   When I had pulled myself together I found I had lost an hour.

I went into the garden and stared at the plants and the tubs in consternation - where to start?  At that moment who should pull into the drive but D my gardener, here to mow the lawn and he filled the pots with compost for me and set me going.   I did the pots, he watered them and carried them round and put them in their place - what a help.   I cut back my beautiful Hellebore (let it put its energy this year into growing rather than producing seedlings - they are all over the garden from last year and growing into teenagers already) and then  I came in and here I am.

It is tea time - a salad awaits - I look forward to it.  Then I shall watch the News and force myself to stay awake!    As for the weather - it is a beautiful Summer's Day - blue sky, puffy clouds, tiny breeze and even I have taken off my sweater.   Bank Holiday week-end and warm sunshine.   Not a combination we often get in the UK is it?

17 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

If one employs a gardener let the gardener do it is my motto.

The Feminine Energy said...

The beauty of being older. That's what I tell myself anyway. :-) Enjoy your weekend and have a gander at my blog post today, to truly appreciate a delicious nap and the ability to put things off in selection of doing nothing, if you so choose. ~Andrea xoxo

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - Gardening has always been my passion and I wish I didn't have toe employ a gardener. But I can no longer move about much. Any fairly sedentary job I can do I like to try - getting my fingers in the soil is a joy.

Derek Faulkner said...

After a cool and cloudy start it has been a beautiful sunny afternoon and evening, so nice that we had a lovely BBQ this evening.

Ellen D. said...

It is great that you have friends and a gardener to help you complete your tasks! Things that you want to have done are getting done and that is what is most important! I bet you will enjoy those potted plants as they grow and eventually bloom!
That was a great day!

Bonnie said...

How nice to hear you've had a beautiful Summer's Day! It is also a blessing to have helpful friends that can do small repair jobs as well as sit and visit with you. Enjoy your weekend!

CharlotteP said...

It has been a lovely day for gardening! I did battle with some monster weeds which had sprouted to almost shoulder height without my noticing them...fortunately they hadn't gone to seed. Hopefully the dry week forecast will slow the lawn's rampaging growth.

Heather said...

The weather is definitely improving, and not before time. I often feel quite energetic while I am sitting down, then when I stand up it seems to disappear!
Isn't it lovely to get those awkward little jobs done? Thank goodness for families and friends.

the veg artist said...

If it's in you to be a gardener, there's nothing you can do about it! I love growing flowers and vegetables from seed or cuttings, even if it takes months. Buying 'ready-grown' plants is just not the same. It's all about the nurturing for me. My arms are going to be aching from lugging pots around today though!

Susan said...

The small/large mechanical jobs are impossible for those of us not so inclined. Thank goodness for the others in our lives willing and able to fix these things when they go off. Your keen sense of garden design and plant selection combined with your gardener's know-how sounds like a perfect combination. Totally agree: All gardeners enjoy working with the soil and watching plantings thrive.

Debby said...

My daughter and her husband were driving back from Derbyshire. They exclaimed over the heat. Meanwhile we were freezing in a cold drizzley day.

Cro Magnon said...

Perfect day for mowing here yesterday, so I tackled a patch that our builders had been occupying. More mowing today provided that the grass dries enough. 26 C forecast.

angryparsnip said...

Nap an all it sounds like a lovely day.

Jules said...

It sounds like some good team work to me. Enjoy the rest of this sunny weekend. X

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Some good weather coming up for sitting in the garden and enjoying it - and maybe planning a few changes.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I had to smile at Charlotte tackling 'monster weeds'. Right opposite the window of my computer room is a large plant - it is growing at quite a pace. I have no idea whether it is friend or foe but dont want to dig it up until I know. What's the betting it is an invasive weed?


Thanks everyone.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Glad you have the right people to help with your tasks! Hope the sun stays out for you for the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend!