Friday 9 April 2021

Friday

 Firstly just to say that I like most people mourn the passing of HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh.   And I offer condolences to HM The Queen and members of her family as I would to any family suffering loss of a loved one.

Now to one of today's topics.   Following on from my mention of boating on the canals of the Midlands.  Boating is, I think, something you either love or hate - or maybe (like me) are scared of.   My first holiday was with my first husband, our son (a teenager at the time) and a friend in his twenties.   The three of them loved it - I still have reservations.    It was a week's holiday in a cruiser on the Norfolk Broads and for many reasons it was idyllic.   The peace and quiet, the bird life, the beauty of the countryside, the few villages we passed through - all that was a joy.   But I never got used to   the Broads - the wider, more open spaces where it was important to keep to marked out channels.

Our next holiday - or maybe it was our first 'water' holiday - my memory is playing tricks and I rather think our son was younger and it was certainly only the three of us - was on the River Thames.   I believe we got on the boat at Wargrave and the hirer took us through the first lock.    The locks on the Thames are manned and very large and boats queue up to go through them.   As we came out of the lock the owner jumped off and bid us 'a good holiday', at the same instant the wind caught the front of the boat and blew us into the bank which we hit with a bit of a crash and various bit of crockery bounced off the shelf on to the floor.   I rushed down into the cabin and put my head under a blanket.   Finally persuaded to come back on deck we had only gone a few yards when we came to a large bridge and met, head on, The Sonning - a pleasure passenger boat on a cruise up the river.    I rather think one passes on the right - but whichever side it was we passed on the wrong side (it was that or run into it) and the captain of the Sonning shouted at us.   For me it was head under blanket time again.   My husband tied up and came down into the cabin and gave me a good talking to - it was either get some sense into my head or we would go back and hand the boat in.   My son of course was indignant.    So I braved it out, but was always nervous.  My husband and my son (he fell into the Thames between the boat and the land) absolutely loved it.   Me?   Not so keen.

But I loved watching programmes about any kind of boating - not sure what that proves.Maybe that I prefer my pleasure second hand.

Lovely sunny day here today but still that cold breeze.   Priscilla and I had our walk early and the sun was beautifully warm - in the shelter of various hedges.   The wind, still from a Northish direction, tried its best to spoil things.

My carer has, for my tea this evening, brought me a piece of 'pastry less quiche' which she made yesterday and which has eight eggs in it.   It looks delicious and I can't wait to try it.   I'm afraid that it is now so long since I cooked anything for myself I think I might find myself unable to do so.   Surely the opposite of' practise makes perfect'.

19 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

You can imagine my thoughts about Prince Philip - one less on the Royal gravy train - and why has the BBC decided to scrap all programmes on both 1 and 2, so no Monty Don tonight. I've always wanted to do a canal boat trip, I love being on boats, but have never found the confidence to do it.
Lovely mild and sunny day today.

the veg artist said...

I've been on canal and Thames boat trips, so barges and cruisers, and absolutely loved it, but then I love sea boats as well.
99 is not a bad innings.

Susan said...

I think you are either a water baby or you are not.

Hard up Hester said...

Of you can be like me, terrified of water yet living in a boat!

Debby said...

I've never been a boater, myself, but I do have to say that last summer, for the first time, I took a kayak down my little river, a four hour trip with my grandson. (It was a two seater), and I fell in love with it. I would like to get my own kayak and do this regularly.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

My father was always fascinated by boats, despite being afraid of water. My only holidays on the Broads were with groups of disabled or autistic youngsters - it was, shall we say, interesting!

Bonnie said...

I was quite sad to hear about Prince Philip this morning. I know this must be difficult for the Queen and the Royal Family.

Everyone seems to have different feelings about traveling on a boat just as some people don't like to fly. When younger I have paddled canoes, fishing boats and have ridden on speed boats. I enjoyed those experiences but I have never been on a large boat or ship of any kind. I'm so glad to hear that you've had a sunny day and was able to get your walk in with Priscilla. Have a good evening!

The bike shed said...

I have a theory that the smaller the boat, the greater the pleasure. But then I paddle kayaks so I would say that wouldn't I.

CharlotteP said...

When I was at school, my friend Fiona's parents took me on a boating holiday on the Thames with them. It was really hot and I decided to cool off with a swim, but must have swallowed a little water. I cannnot ever remember feeling so ill, and the smell of Elasn toilets still makes me feel sick! It must have been horrible for my friend and her parents, sharing a tiny bathroom with me...

Heather said...

A sad day for England and condolences to Her Majesty and her family.
As a child I thought that living on a houseboat would be magical. My youngest daughter and her husband live on a narrow boat and love it. I am looking forward to being able to visit them again though a little nervous as to how I will cope with getting on and off!
Years ago my husband and I liked to take a boat trip from Tewkesbury to Twyning and stop there for lunch then take the boat back to Tewkesbury. It was so peaceful and relaxing.
Hopefully we shall all feel a little warmer next week!

Chris said...

I did a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam a few years ago and would love to repeat it, once we can travel again. It was very relaxing with interesting views along the way. The boat was big enough that I felt quite safe, not to mention they had a remarkable chef who produced amazing meals from a tiny galley kitchen!

Joanne Noragon said...

I've never spent much time on a boat and I don't regret it.

Susan said...

A sad day for the Royal family. Prince Phillip will be greatly missed. A boating/seamanship course would have given you the knowledge and skill to be comfortable boating. Many years ago a coworker bought himself a 25 foot sailboat and on day one when leaving his slip he hit a piling puncturing the boat. He had the boat repaired and took the Coast Guard course.

donna baker said...

I was traumatized by a museum exhibit of Ernest Shackleton and his Endurance in Antarctica and won't go on an ocean going vessel. Yet, I sat in bed while tornado sirens were going off tonight.

thelma said...

I get thoroughly sea sick on boats, so not my first choice of transport. But I do remember when we took a small boat to trial on the Thames, mostly it was the engine. When we finished we had to haul it through some mud with bare feet. A couple on a big moored boat nearby were horrified and called us onboard to wash our feet from the stinky stuff.
I am sad about Prince Phillip but I suppose because history is being made and change will take place.

Librarian said...

The Queen has known her husband ever since she was 13 - she must miss him terribly, but at 99 years it was not all that unexpected (which of course does not mean less grief).

I would love a canal boat holiday, as long as I were not responsible for the actual steering and driving the boat! I‘d gladly do all the housework and then simply enjoy the views, peace and quiet.

Chris said...

We had a canal holiday in 1976, the year of the drought and so we were limited as to when we could go through the locks. I hated every minute!

The Weaver of Grass said...

How lovely to go on a cruise where one does not have to think about locks, steering and all that worry. The farmer and I did it twice. Once we went up the coast of Norway on the Hurtigruten and round ro the Russian border and our last holiday before he died was from Amsterdam to Antwerp and back on a river cruise. Both holidays were wonderful and I shall never forget how much we enjoyed them. But quite different from being responsible for where the boat goes, how it works, the locks, the steering - not my cup of tea.Thanks for dropping by.

The Feminine Energy said...

I love to eat food that others have made. We'll be married 45 years in a couple weeks and I must say I'm tired of eating my own cooking, even though others rave about it. *blech* ~Andrea xoxo