Wednesday 31 March 2021

Times have changed

 This afternoon I watched 'Flog it' for my rest period - anyone who is not familiar with the programme it is a programme where items are chosen from things the general public bring along which are then sold at auction.   Often there are surprises. and often there are lovely things on the programme.   Today there was an item  which set me thinking.  Somebody today brought along a pair of Asparagus servers - I would not have known this had I not been told and I have certainly never seen such a thing.   I can't really think why it is not possible to serve asparagus with a tablespoon.   What made these special was that they had been taken on a particular Arctic Expedition which had been a failure as one of the team and six of his dogs had disappeared for ever down a crevasse.   The owner of these servers wanted a large sum of money for them - can't remember how much - and it did strike me why an expedition to such a place would find it necessary to take such an item.   The servers didn't sell and I asked myself would a present day expedition go to the trouble of taking such an item.?  Surely not.  In fact would they even consider taking aspatagus in the first place.

It has been another lovely day here today with pure unbroken sunshine all day.   Priscilla and I had our walk round early this morning.    Since then I have done mundane things like empty the washing maching and put the washing in the drier so that I could put it all away later(this helps my carer), emptying the dishwasher when it had completed its cycle, getting my clothes out ready for morning and then sitting on Priscilla for half an hour in the garden in the sunshine.  This gave me a chance to complete a Sudoku and also admire the garden now that my gardeners have made such a good job of doing it all yesterday.

And tomorrow?   Where am I going?   Not very exciting I'm afraid.  I am going to have a Bone Scan - as a result of breaking my hip last Autumn   I shall wait and see what tomorrow's weather is like to decide  what to wear.  There are rules - no jewelry, no zips, no wired bras - but how many layers will depend on how chilly it is.

I wish you could see my garden - It took two of them all day but it is immaculate and full of daffodils and dwarf tulips.   Some of them came all the way from Australia last Autumn (thank you J and J if you are reading this).  Spring bulbs make it all look so cheerful don't they.  Until tomorrow......


20 comments:

Debby said...

I pondered taking asparagus servers along on an Arctic expedition, and was a bit flummoxed myself. It's rather like taking a vase along, isn't it?

Our daffodils were open today. They made me very happy. Good luck on your scan tomorrow!

CharlotteP said...

It was lovely...my sister in law, dog Turbo and I walked in the Wyre Forest (only 10 minutes away) and had an al fresco coffee break. Driving home through Bewdley (5 minutes from home) we noticed the ice-cream shop was open...you can guess the rest!

The bike shed said...

Asparagus in the arctic! I like eccentricity like that - quintessentially British

Tasker Dunham said...

One wonders what else they took on the expedition. Did the huskies jump down the crevasse out of desperation?

Heather said...

Some highborn gentleman must have been among those on the Arctic Expedition!
A glorious day here too and my windows were till about 5 o'clock.
Hope you have satisfactory results from the bone scan and can enjoy more time sitting on Priscilla and admiring your lovely garden. Every day now there is something new to notice. It is my favourite time of year.

Bonnie said...

That must have been one fancy Arctic Expedition, probably with servants to make and serve the meals! How nice that you could sit out in the sun and enjoy your garden today.

Minigranny said...

Amazing the utensils that were considered essentials in the past! Mind you I still go on about the melon baller that my husband left behind when we moved back to Uk- have I really missed it- only once or twice !

Sansthing said...

I think the kind of person who goes on such an expedition is a tad eccentric anyway, I imagine other odd items went along too, although asparagus servers certainly sound strange.

Susan said...

It is amazing what some people think is essential. I've never seen asparagus servers. Sitting in your garden surrounded by Spring flowers and sunshine sounds perfect.

Linda from Alabama said...

Your garden sounds lovely and I am going to Google an asparagus server just to see what one looks like.
Best wishes on your Bone Scan.

Cro Magnon said...

I'm quite shocked to hear that you don't use Asparagus Servers. In addition to their intended use, ours are also used for potting-up seedlings, scraping mud off our boots, and de-blocking the drains. An essential tool for any Artic Expedition.

Anonymous said...

Would you be able to post a picture of your garden? It sounds so lovely. Char

Bovey Belle said...

One has to Keep Up Appearances, doncha know?! I can think of other things which might be higher up my list for an Arctic Expedition.

I hope your bone scan is swiftly done, and you still have a little sunshine so you can enjoy your garden more.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I never go anywhere without my asparagus server! Mind you a friend of mine who was a Guides leader used to tell me about the amount of cosmetics some of the girls thought necessary to take to camp!

Librarian said...

A picture of your garden would be very welcome!
How nice you had the chance to enjoy the beautiful weather - not only for your walk but also in your garden. I finished work as early as I could yesterday, and walked for about 2 hours in the sun - it was almost getting a bit much without a sun hat, but oh so wonderful! That first time every year when I dare go out in short sleeves and shorts feels almost festive. And at 24 Celsius, it was as warm as any summer's day!

thelma said...

They are quite pretty asparagus servers, mostly used for display I suppose and adding to cleaning the silver. Hope all goes well with the bone scan and you work out what to wear.

Chris said...

Our garden too is full of colour and now weed free but no gardeners just my and my husband.. our neighbour remarked how lovely it looks especially as we're moving.. but as I have to look at it for at least another 4 weeks I had to have it straight!

Mary said...

When I went on that expedition to Antarctica in 2013 I had no thoughts of taking such a crazy item! I was more concerned about good waterproof boots, a balaclava to keep my ears from freezing, and a great camera!!!! The ship did serve excellent food however I don't recall asparagus being doled out with a silver server!

Hope your scan went well Pat.
Mary x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Charlotte P - Your mention of Bewley brought back memories. The Wyre forest area was one of our favourite walks areas when we lived in Finchfield.

Thanks everyone for your amusing comments on the servers.
As to my garden - I will try taking some photograph next time we have a sunny day;

Thanks for popping by.

Ellen D. said...

Yes, an odd thing to take on an arctic expedition! Must have been a fancy group traveling there. My daffodils are looking lovely and I snipped some of the forsythia branches yesterday so I can enjoy them inside.