Saturday 6 March 2021

Nothing to report

 Nothing much has happened today - usually like this on Saturdays and Sundays - apart from our Zoom Coffee Morning this morning - forty minutes chat with five friends - something which happens every Saturday morning.   I followed it by a walk with Priscilla across the road to the post box and then round the block.   It was very cold and when I got back home I had my lunch (sweet and sour chicken with sweet potato chips and garlic bread followed by fruit pie and custard - both supplied by J) and fell asleep in the chair and woke up two hours later.   I really don't know why this happened as I slept well last night - probably something to do with the cold weather I suspect.

I spent an hour gathering together everything I need to give to the garage when they call to collect my car.   I shall be sorry to see it go and with it my independence, but I have to accept that I just can't drive any more..   It isn't the actual driving, it is the getting in and out of the car and the mobility needed to get from the back of the car to the driver's seat once I have managed to put Priscilla in the back.   And that is always assuming a) I can lift the folded Priscilla and b) she will fit in the back of the car.   I am sure I shall get used to it.

I do sometimes wonder how we are all going to adapt to going out again after a year of confinement give or take a few weeks in the middle of the year when we thought perhaps it was all over.   And - at my age I wonder whether or not I really wish to adapt to going out again or is it too much physical effort?   Time will no doubt tell.

Now time to make a bit of tea and sit and have another try at the Ladygram in The Lady magazine.   I love it - it only comes once a month and it does get the old brain working.   I have a few anagrams to work out while I have the computer on - then it's make myself a sandwich and sit and watch the News at tea time.   Then it is Michael Palin in Bhutan tonight - a programme I love - having done such a lot of travelling in my life both with my first (always to the East) and then with my second (always West) husband, my travelling days are over - but Michael Palin is to travel what Monty Don is to gardening as far as I am concerned.   Have a pleasant evening.   See you tomorrow......

18 comments:

JayCee said...

I agree with you that Michael Palin is always a joy to watch, a real "gentle - man".
I can't remember the last time I drove the car. I shall forget how to do it soon.

Traveller said...

I, too, agree with you about Michael Palin. Around the World is probably my favourite

Terra said...

Your days sound very full. Getting rid of your car is a big and momentous deal. When I adopted my dog Bounce 4 years ago I made sure to choose a dog I could lift so he weighs 15 pounds. I think maneuvering a heavier dog into the car would be impossible for me too. I wonder whether I will like getting back out into groups of people after a year of solitary life.

Sue said...

I love armchair travelling these days - no jetlag!

Heather said...

Another busy day and a very tasty lunch! It is a little warmer down here and we had lovely sunshine to wake up to, which always starts the day well. It will feel very strange getting back to 'normal'. I can imagine feeling nervous when people come too close to me.
Armchair travelling is the best way to go. I always wanted to travel but my husband was not interested. Now I am too lazy to do so but am still interested in other countries - mostly European I think.

Rachel Phillips said...

Palin is a pleasure to watch. Non-judgemental. I am doing a re-run of him in North Korea yet again. It is currently available on My5 if you want to see it.

Bonnie said...

It sounds like you've had a good day. I admire you for making the decision about your car as I know it was not an easy one. I look forward to things opening up again although I admit some of it will seem a bit strange after a year of what we've been living. I think much of the return to normal will be very gradual as they still have to be cautious and in my country only a small percentage of the population has had the vaccine yet.

libby said...

I imagine letting go of the car is such a big milestone,and understandably so, but it seems a wise decision and the freedom you will have using a taxi will soon make you feel better I suspect. As for Mr Palin...well he is a sweetheart isn't he? my daughter who lives in London, sat next to him at a Christmas carol service and she said you could almost feel the 'niceness' radiating off him!

wherethejourneytakesme2 said...

I am sure we will all get used to going out again - I intend to ease myself back into the world - I am in no rush, have no holidays booked or anything else. I haven't seen the Michael Palin but I do like Joanna Lumley travel programs she always has such a sense of wonder for the places she goes.

Susan said...

Palin is outstanding. I often thought how wonderful it would be to travel with him as a guide. His knowledge and presence is lovely on tv. I suspect our lives will all change in many ways. Lots of new decisions to be made.

Bovey Belle said...

I have a friend whose father's car just failed its MoT - he went out and bought a newer smaller one and shocked his daughter! as he's in his early 90s but still mobile. He may never use it much but is happy it's on the drive "in case". I think you have made the right decision about yours given your mobility now. A big decision though and it feels like a loss of freedom although you can call a taxi any time - far cheaper than running a car.

I am sure you enjoyed Palin. He is brilliant - I listened to a talk he gave (he had published a new book last year) at the on-line Hay Literary Festival last year. Very enjoyable.

CharlotteP said...

Letting your car go is definitely an unwanted milestone, but having to struggle with my Mom's 'Priscilla', I can appreciate that you won't miss trying to get her in and out of the boot.

If you do decide not to go out much when we are 'unlocked', you won't be on your own. Many of my quite able bodied friends have said that there are things they enjoy about a less busy lifestyle. Having said that, come summer, you may feel a lot more enthusiastic about a taxi into town, or wherever you fancy for a change of scenery.

Librarian said...

As I have never owned a car myself, I can only partly relate to how big that decision was/is. However, your independence is still fully intact - you can call a taxi whenever you like!
You are probably right about the tiredness being related to the cold weather. When I have been out walking in cold, windy weather, I feel much more exhausted than on a pleasant day.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. My computer is going haywire this morning so any mistakes I apologise for!

Northriding said...

I saw Michael Palin at our local town hall when he was doing a national tour publicising his latest volume of diaries and he was everything you would expect, funny, kind and witty, as someone has already said, a truly gentle man

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I wish we could get that Michael Palin programme here. I would love to see it. Maybe I should look on You Tube. I'm sorry you had to give up your car, but understand why. It's absolutely true, however, that using a taxi occasionally probably won't even come close to the expense of owning a car. Take care, Pat. -Jenn

Minigranny said...

Michael Palin is a master of travel programmes! There was a collection of his programmes on Hemingway on I Player which were well worth watching - don't know if they're still there.

Jane said...

You have a wonderful carer, what a boon that is for you. You said you paid privately, I'm looking at private care for a relative, could you please tell me do you pay extra for the lunches she provides and is that a seven day a week service? I hope that's not a too intrusive question. I'm new at this and not sure what to expect. I've been ordering Wiltshire Foods for my relative but occasionally they've been a bit of a disappointment, soggy sprouts etc.