Sunday 21 March 2021

A Cautionary Tale

 Here is a tale to begin with today.   On Breakfast television was a picture of a Giant Walrus basking on some rocks somewhere around our coast.   Last week it had been seen in Kent and was obviously going around, presumably looking for a mate at this time of the year.  Sadly it is doubtful it will find one because it is an Arctic giant walrus it is thought it probably arrived here after going to sleep on an icefloe and  floating  South.  I have not seen a Giant walrus before so have no idea whether it is a young, inexperienced animal or an oldie beginning to lose its marbles.   The fact remains that it has arrived out of its comfort zone.   Let that be a lesson to all of us oldies - don't fall asleep on a train because you may well arrive in Land's End when you intended to go to John O'Groats.

Sensibly this morning I went for my walk fairly early.   I saw four lots of folk to pass the time of day with, Matt mowing a lawn for a lady (it sounded hard going), then my neighbours off for the first time this season on their electric bicycles for their  (one hour) bike ride.   The weather was warm and sunny and it was a lovely walk.   Now, sitting in my window typing this I see that the sky has clouded over and for now at least the sun has disappeared.

I am not posting this yet.   Something else to cheer my day might happen yet so I shall keep it for later and see you  then.   Now it is indeed later and not a lot has happened.   I must report that I am adding this to avoid doing what I really must do this afternoon, and that is make a start at making notes on 'Where the crawdads sing' which was my choice of book for our book group this month.   Our  meeting - via Zoom - is actually on Easter Monday - we decided we could have it on that day because none of us are allowed out to go anywhere so it will give us something to look forward to.   And, of course, because it is my choice I have to give a presentation first - hence my note-taking.

I have enjoyed the book - a first novel written by a woman who is a scientist and has written several non-fiction books.   And I must say it shows - it is a book which is written in a very ordered kind of way - and at the same time the marshes, which figure largely in the book, are described so well.   I hope all the group have found it a good read.

Take care dear blog friends - see you again tomorrow.

30 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

First I checked to see if it was April 1st - no Giant Walrus reported on any recent Kent news that I've seen.

JayCee said...

I think the walrus was off the Welsh coast recently? Perhaps he'll pop up here next?

the veg artist said...

The walrus was filmed in Pembrokeshire on Friday, having made its way from Ireland! Believed to be a young adult, they can't tell whether male or female as both have tusks. The rumour is that it fell asleep on an iceberg and floated so far it was lost. I think Kent is in the wrong direction!!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

You don't have to be old to fall asleep on a train - just drunk! Not that I've ever done such a thing of course.
There'll be plenty to talk about at your book club.

Marcia LaRue said...

I loved that book ... did not want it to end and certainly not the way it did end!
Enjoy the rest of your day the very best way you can!

The bike shed said...

I have heard that the Crawdad's book is a marmite one - you either love it or hate it! On Amazon, there are many five star reviews and also many one star one's too - comments seem to vary from 'my book of the year' to 'utter bilge'. So I guess don't expect universal approval!
The comments say the Walrus was in Pembrokeshire - I am going there in just over a week - how good would it be to spot one of those. I have a cottage there which I rebuilt from a virtual ruin almost thirty years ago - later this summer we plan to move there permanently and would have done so already were it nor for the pandemic. I am in awe that you seem to write and read every day - brilliant!

angryparsnip said...

I have always wanted to read this book but never have. Since I can't read any more maybe I will get a Book On Tape.
I posted some photos of the Sone day we had.
cheers

Rachel Phillips said...

I will be interested to hear when the time comes whether everybody in your bookclub liked the book or not.

Heather said...

Had to chuckle, one of my husband's shipmates (many years ago) took the train from Plymouth to Dawlish....but having had a few drinks, slept until the train stopped at Paddington.

Doc said...

I must check out your book as it looks like we will remain housebound for the next few months. Perhaps some animal welfare organization will capture the wayward walrus and see to its return.

am said...

Late in your Yorkshire Dales day is early in my day in Washington State. Now I'll be thinking about the Great Walrus all day long! It's cool and breezy here this morning, with a heavy grey cloud cover that doesn't stop the birds from singing. If it weren't for the evergreen trees and bushes here and there, there would be little green to be seen. There is still snow to be seen at the top of the mountains to the east. It won't be long before it will be green everywhere I look. Some of the rhododendrons are already blooming, along with daffodils, crocuses, snowdrops. I look forward to tulips and irises.

Heather said...

Poor walrus - I hope it finds it's way back to it's more usual surroundings. I also hope you have managed to complete your 'homework'! So nice to have a chat with people - I have had a couple of phone calls but not seen anyone today, but I am content with my own company.

The Weaver of Grass said...

The farmer's cousin phoned me from Australia - which I took as a sign that I had done enough at my book club notes for today. Opinions seem to vary as to where the walrus is/was - it is certainly out of its comfort zone.

Bonnie said...

I love your cautionary tale and find the story of the Walrus interesting. It sounds as if it is a lonely and maybe confused Walrus! I've heard a lot about "Where the Crawdads Sing" and will be looking forward to your and the others opinions on the book. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Debby said...

poor walrus. He's looking for love in all the wrong places...

CharlotteP said...

I must go to bed...as I'm in danger of falling asleep at my computer, and have a builder coming in early tomorrow morning!

the veg artist said...

There's a little film online of the walrus now, and it is seen going back into the water. No idea of how far it can travel in a few days - its compass seems all awry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56470235

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks veg artist - I shall look at that film in the morning.

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are all interesting, as usual.

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat, Really tried to "get into" "Where the Crawdads Sing" but didn't my first go. Went back to it again and finished it - not the greatest book but I had just finished reading "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah which is one of the best books I've ever read (and I am 75 years old and a constant reader) - If your book club has not read that book I can promise you it would become one of your favorites as well. Take care. I am so happy you are doing so well - you have made a remarkable comeback after breaking you hip. My Mom lived to be 96 and she bounced back from numerous injuries when she got older. She, like you, was quite the independent woman - bravo.

Susan said...

You timed your walk perfectly, early and in the sunshine before the clouds rolled in. Poor walrus, it is sad that he is now out of his comfort zone. Lost and wondering about. Will he have a happy or sad ending? Such is life. Enjoy your book club meeting tomorrow.

Shadowmoss said...

I believe you used to have Cup on the Bus on your blog list and I don't see it now. I read many of the blogs from your list and was very worried I had lost many new friends when the list disappeared. I am so happy you have gotten it back

Joanne Noragon said...

Well, Shadowmoss is correct, I am gone. No matter, your son will put it right. And I must say, a lot of folks click on through from reading you to reading me. That part is all magic, though.
And as I was going to say first, I hope the walrus finds its way home.

Debby said...

Has your book club ever read any Barbara Kingsolver. I really loved Flight Pattern.

Cro Magnon said...

We have taken our afternoon tea outdoors for the past two days; things are looking up.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Still cold here Cro but mainly sunny'
Debby -- thanks for the recommendation
Anon. Thanks for your recommendation.

I sent my son your post title Joanne - as he hasn't put it on yet I am now going to attempt to do just that. Rachel has sent me detailed instructions.

Bob said...

I loved “Where the Crawdads Sing!” The story was compelling and loved her description of the marshes. As I recall, the author is a nature writer, which certainly served her well in this debut novel.

The Weaver of Grass said...

+Glad you enjoyed it Bob.

Derek Faulkner said...

Shorts and T shirt weather here on Sheppey this afternoon - a glorious day.

Sue said...

An overcast day here but it feels mild and Spring-like and there are daffodils everywhere to cheer the spirits, so we really enjoyed doggy walking this morning.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - winter woollies still needed here.

Thanks everyone.