Thursday 25 February 2021

Better Day

 The sun is shining out there - and it certainly leaves me in a much more positive mood.   I did remove my post because my son rang me to say that he thought I had perhaps technically broken the Covid laws at present in force here by going into the Bank.   It never occurred to me that I might have done  this.   Two things (that and the scam call) happening in one day was just too much for me on such a grey and dismal day and that is  really why I removed it.  Today that sun makes me feel not too bad.   In fact, after this I shall put on my coat and walk out with Priscilla before coming back to my lovely quiche and salad lunch left out for me by my carer (the best in the world).   And as regards that last sentence - if you need a carer all I can suggest is that you shop around, listen to advice from others and investigate the private sector - J wasn't difficult to find.   How did I find her?   By asking around.   By private recommendation.   Always the best.

My dear friend S rang having read my  post and seen I had removed the post about going down to the Bank.   She assured me I had not broken the rules and I do feel better about things now.   The trouble is that these strange days, after being in for so long, I sometimes feel very alone and 'out on a limb' and have to have a serious talk with myself.

I really do think I have probably come to the end of the road with my little car.   I can't walk with a stick any longer - I have to use either my Zimmer or Priscilla - and would somehow have to get from the driver's door round to the back of the car and open it up to get Priscilla out - and I am not capable of that.   My taxi driver is very good and I think I am going to have to rely on tha t and the various people who kindly do things for me.

I was reminded of a story while watching television this afternoon.   I think I may have told you it before but it is worth telling again in case you didn't read it first time round.

I always have a rest mid afternoon (in the morning it is Mind Games, Exercises and a walk if the weather is good enough) - all were achieved before lunch today.  While resting I usually watch 'Escape to the Country' - not because I have any desire to see inside the houses but I love to see the various areas of the countryside and almost always they add an item on a rural craft.   We were in Dorset - a county which in the old days was known for its glove-making.  They also showed a working water-driven mill making artisan bread.  Working mills are still quite common.   For example we have a beck running through the village near here and some years ago I wrote an article for The Dalesman magazine about the beck.  Between here and where the beck becomes a river (Em) at Bedale there are six villages and years ago every village had its own flour mill; some had a bobbin mill too.   The couple on today's programme had a go at making a loaf each in a local working flour mill.

But back to the glove-making.   So few leather gloves made these days and therefore so few glove-makers left but the gloves we saw were beautifully crafted.   And it reminded me of a story - as good leather gloves always do.   My sister was twenty two years older than me (same parents)  which means she was born in 1910 and was a teenager when such gloves were the height of fashion and quite expensive.   My father's sisters (spinsters like so many after the First World War) were always dressed in the height of fashion.  If my sister and her friend Mim were walking out on a Sunday afternoon they would plead with their aunts to borrow a pair of gloves.   They would then walk out, arm in arm - each hand wearing a glove while the other hand was in their pocket.

Those were the days!   See you tomorrow.

23 comments:

Debby said...

Oh, I LOVE that story of your sister.

CharlotteP said...

You mentioned 'Escape to the Country'a week or so ago...now you have got me hooked on them! Like you, I love looking at the different area of the country and the rural crafts, and after 35 years working for architects, I enjoy looking at the houses too. Thank you Pat!
The story of your sisters conjures up the image of them arm in arm, defying the hardships of the time very well...you have led a very interesting and varied life and you are a great raconteur, there is a good market for biographies and I think yours could be a success. Perhaps you could spare an hour or two from the great Escape to begin?!

Rachel Phillips said...

Oh dear God. Nothing to stop us going into the bank. I went in this week, masked and socially distanced, to do a transaction. If we weren't allowed to then the banks wouldn't be open in the first place.

Minigranny said...

Your posts quite often remind me of times past. I used to love reading The Dalesman which Mum used to pass on to me.Wonder if I read your article. More sun tomorrow I think. Sheila x

the veg artist said...

Taking a taxi when you need it will probably work out a lot cheaper, and be less worry. Also. you have lots of friends who will be delighted to collect you once we are 'free'!

Heather said...

Such a delightful story of your sister and the gloves. No, you definitely did not break any Covid rules by going to the bank. I have had to go to mine a couple of times in recent months and the staff are very careful about ensuring customers' safety.
I hope you get more walks in the next few days. The weather looks a bit promising.

Granny Sue said...

What a sweet story. More than one way to achieve a goal, isn't there? I'd be quite confused trying to follow the UK lockdown rules, I'm afraid. It is such a relief that the pandemic is slowly easing up.

What a hard decision to have to give up your car. But it is good that you recognize when it's time.

Susan said...

I enjoy watching Escape to the Country although it makes me terribly homesick. Like you I find the crafts and history very interesting. Lovely story about your sister. I have a photograph of my mother in law strolling arm in arm with her best friend, dressed up to the nines. It always makes me smile. I think we have all had enough of Covid rules and it is easy to get confused especially if they are changing all the time. I'm beginning to think once we are allowed to socialize I may not be up to it.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a wonderful story. What a wonderful sister to have had.

Virginia said...

Gloves were the bane of our lives at boarding school. It was very old-fashioned, and strict, and insisted girls wore gloves, and hats, at all times when down in the town. (School was 12 miles out in the country.) There were "old biddies" - probably ex-pupils - who would ring to report us, and there'd be a nun waiting for the return of the bus as we returned. And we weren't allowed to enter the uncouth "Milk Bar", but only to have afternoon tea at the upmarket Cafe.

I'm sorry you're facing giving up your car - it's not the cost of taxis (which actually works out cheaper than running a car if all is taken into account) - it's the feeling that another of life's Independences has been chipped away. I've listened to three much-loved relatives struggle with this. Sending you warm hugs.

Bonnie said...

What a lovely story about your sisters! It is not easy to find truly well made leather gloves these days. I love the feel of good leather gloves. I hope the rest of your day went well!

Margaret said...

Here in New Zealand folk in your situation would be able to get a card giving half price for taxi service. Does UK have that I wonder?

Cro Magnon said...

I believe that Dents, the glovemakers, are still going strong. The Co is owned by an old school friend of mine.

Librarian said...

A sweet little story about your sister and her friend sharing a pair of gloves!
Like others here have said, why would it be against the rules to go to the bank when the banks are open? It wouldn't make sense.
I have never learned to drive or owned a car myself, but from my Dad's and other people's experience I know that it is a big step to give up driving or owning a car. You are doing the reasonable thing, and again, like others have commented before me, in the end it will be much cheaper and less of a worry to simply call a taxi when you need one.

Sue in Suffolk said...

A big decision to give up your car but if you can get a taxi easily then maybe it's the right one.
Banks have been open all through, though some have now cut their hours and I've been in lots of times as I don't do online banking, all perfectly legal like food shops and post offices.

Frances said...

As Rachel said, if you weren't allowed to go to the bank, they wouldn't be open!
It might be good idea to ask your carer to chat to you about all the scams that are going around at the moment. I had a recorded call the other day about my National Insurance ( that I don't pay) Apparently if I didn't press 1 I was going to be in big trouble with the law. The worst thing was that it was a recorded message so I couldn't tell them what I thought...the air would have been blue!
As I used to tell my Mum before she finally gave up her car (at age 94,) when you are not paying car insurance, road tax and buying fuel, that is a lot of money for taxis!
Though I do appreciate that it is a loss of freedom to a certain extent.

thelma said...

Also if you don't own a car like the previous comment has said you don't have to pay out for so many things and there is less paperwork to clutter the filing cabinet. Less worry and work is what we all need!
Elegant, fine leather gloves, do you see them around these days? Also I remember three-quarter evening gloves as well. Being fashionable nowadays is wearing some expensive designer clobber. Most of us go out in an anorak ;)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ah yes - all your anecdotes above resonate with me. Times have changed in so many ways haven't they? Thanks for your contribution to things.

JacquieB said...

I feel for you over your 'was the bank visit illegal' dilemma. Recently my daughter and I were enjoying fish and chips by moonlight, after dark in a remote-ish carpark after a lovely evening walk. A car pulled in, opened the boot and dumped three heavy objects into the undergrowth. Worrying that animals might be involved, when he'd gone we checked and found heavy chains, enormous bolt cutters and other tools. Expensive equipment to dump. When another car drew up right by the items we left sharpish, wondering if it was an arrangement to pick up stolen goods.
At any other time I would have informed the police but now I worried that perhaps I should not have been there. So I didn't but feel guilty no doing so. Hopefully the items were not connected to some of the rural crime that is so prevalent.

wherethejourneytakesme2 said...

Lovely story - when i did History of Costume for my fashion degree I had to go into museums and draw some of the costumes more for the insides and the construction of a garment - I was always amazed at how tiny the gloves were and beautifully stitched - they certainly wouldn't fit anyone these days.
Sorry the 'bank' incident left you fretting but as Rachel said they would be closed if we could not access them.

Ellen D. said...

Be careful on your walks but enjoy the sun when you can! I fell flat on my face this week but luckily did not break anything - just bashed my nose and skinned my knees - like a clumsy toddler again!

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Dear Pat,

We are delighted to read that this was a more positive day. The weather does make all the difference, but, as you say, it is important to sometimes take oneself in hand and just get on getting on. There is always something to be thankful for but, on occasions, one does have to look harder than most to find them:):)

And, good news that you are getting closer to saying goodbye to the motor car. It does not have to represent anything except a wonderful saving of money. Financing taxi fares, when one considers the costs of running a motor car, are small in comparison. So, instead of an occasional treat, the taxi must become a more common factor of everyday life. You can always look upon it as having your own chauffeur....something we have always fantasised about....but we would have a cook first:):)

And, on the topic of gloves...they really do finish off an outfit. Sadly, they are rarely in evidence these days except for woolly mittens. Gloves can really lift an outfit from the ordinary to the chic. How wise your sister and her friend were!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks friends.