Monday 31 August 2020

Monday morning early

I had a really early start this morning, anticipating that the Garden Centre which is our best one would be open for business and Mr Braithwaite would be there to offer advice.   The centre is in Bedale, which is about twelve miles from where I live and I must say this is the furthest I have driven since Lockdown began.   The trouble at my age is that if one doesn't keep driving one begins to lose confidence - I have several friends who have reached this stage and as I am coming up to my eighty-eighth birthday I really would like to hold on a bit longer - but not of course until I become a liability on the road.

 

The roads were quite busy but I know the way well  and got there with no trouble.   I had already rung to check that there would be somebody there to offer advice and he was waiting when I arrived.   I wished to buy the evergreens for planting up my patio when it is finished.   He suggested seven different ones in various greens and yellows - and one which goes orange in Winter.  Those chosen they were put on one side for delivery next week.  I then bought - and brought home - violas and polyanthus to plant up the tubs by my front door for over wintering.

 

I found driving back harder - I came a slightly different way - an easier way - but I was saddened because I ran over and killed a pigeon.   I know many folk dislike pigeons, seeing them as pests.   But I happen to think that all nature's creatures have an equal right to life (not sure about rats).     Arriving home I was just too weary to lift the box of tub plants out of the boot of my car.   I struggled into the house, put the remains of my yesterday's cottage pie on a plate, put mixed veg in the steamer for five minutes, stuffed a Bramley apple with raisins and honey and within about ten minutes had a lunch ready.   Then I sat down and had an hour's sleep.   I feel much more awake now!

 

The plants will be here early next week and once that area is finished there is only the Mares Tail plot to deal with.   'Only' I say - but together D, my gardener, and I will beat it. (says she hopefully). 

11 comments:

Love cuttings said...

No doubt about it - you are totally amazing

Rachel Phillips said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the pigeon.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I have spare pigeons here!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Selfishly I don;t mind dead pigeons - I just don't want to be the one to kill them.

Sheila said...

Our neighbor has a patch of mare's tail he's fighting. He recently told me that he had heard that one reason it was so hard to combat is that the stems are covered in a very tough outer coating which even weed killers cannot penetrate. The method he is now going to try is spraying with the lubricant WD 40. He's been told this will do the trick and that after a few weeks, the plants will turn black and shrivel.

He just recently told me about this idea so I'm sure he doesn't yet have proof of any results. However, it might be worth a Google search for more information.

Heather said...

You must be so pleased with your day's effort, and how nice to look forward to seeing all those shrubs and plants in place. I hope you will show us photos when they are all planted.

Bonnie said...

You've had a successful day out and can now expect some beautiful evergreens! I don't think I've seen one that goes orange in the winter. That will give you some mid-winter color!

Joanne Noragon said...

I love your mare's tale campaign.

Cro Magnon said...

Well done. I shall replace a reluctant Pear tree with an Apple tree (possibly a Pink Lady) this winter, but other than that I shall stay well away from my garden centre.

Librarian said...

So good of the garden center people to be available for advice when you need them! As for the pigeon, I completely agree with you - only because we humans have done everything to make them a pest (by leaving our rubbish around on the streets, mainly) does not mean they have less right to live on this planet than we, or any other animal, does. Not sure about wasps...
Your lunch sounds delicious! It would have taken me hours to put it together.

Brenda said...

I enjoy your blog and the one DIary of a Retired Teacher and A Wordy Woman...Cottage at the End of the Lane...as I commented on one of those, I have deleted so many from my favorites here in U.S. Political and complaining about authorities trying to save our lives during Covid...thank you so so much...