Tuesday 26 May 2020

Weather

The first Summer's day we have had here.   Early high cloud melted away and since then it has been hot and sunny with a modicum of breeze.    Shorts, short-sleeved shirts and panama hats have been the order of the day - and that's the men.   On the whole the shorts have been just below the knee length.   Ladies on the other hand have gone for much shorter, bottom-hugging shorts (and do bear in mind that a large number of people on this estate are over retirement age).    And of course today nobody is complaining about that ghastly gale blowing everything over, instead everybody is complaining about the trials of watering newly-planted bedding plants.   As a nation of gardeners we do love to complain.   Plants are growing so quickly you can almost see it happening.  I am delighted with the Pinks I bought from Allwoods last year - a special offer of nine different varieties of plug plants,   They have done exceptionally well - two are struggling a bit but still alive and the other seven have a mass of buds.   You will see them in due course.

It looks as though the weather is going to stay like this into next week so it will be out with the watering can  daily and when you feel like throwing in the towel remember that they will repay you tenfold in the Summer (fingers crossed)
Oh, and by the way, I can't find out from looking back who it was who told me the variety of my purple and yellow iris but you were quite correct thank you.   I sent a shot to Claire Austin asking what it was and saying I had expected it to be Pink Lady.   She tells me they have never sold a variety called Pink Lady but this one is Edith (sorry can't remember her surname).

14 comments:

JayCee said...

Welcome to summer and long may it last.
Although I do now have an uncomfortable image of lots of Ladies Of A Certain Age in bottom hugging shorts!

angryparsnip said...

Maybe summer is coming ! The gardens sound lovely.
We are in SUMMER high 90 to 107. !
cheers, parsnip

Bonnie said...

Enjoy your early summer days and your beautiful plants and flowers. I hope you are feeling better today.

Heather said...

The warm weather certainly does bring many unsuitable garments out of hiding! I like to keep my ugly bits covered up.
Edith is beautiful even if she didn't turn out to be Pink Lady. I can recall the scent of pinks and love all those old fashioned flowers. My grandmother was a good gardener, working on a budget, but even so it always seemed to be full of flowers.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

...bear in mind...made me laugh.
Enjoy your summer weather

Joanne Noragon said...

Today it was ninety! Far too hot.

Cro Magnon said...

One of my favourite varieties of Apple is called Pink Lady. It's a newish variety, and trees are still not available for the orchard.

Derek Faulkner said...

The iris variety was Edith Wolford.
Now you have the job of trying to understand why you expected it to be Pink Lady if Claire Austin have never sold that variety.

Glad that you have finally got the weather that we have been experiencing for a while now, apart from odd windy days. It's lovely getting up at 5.00 every morning and knowing that the clear and sunny skies are going to be there all day. The downside is the fact that no rain is likely for the foreseeable future.
Several large fields of maize, sown on the farmland near the reserve four weeks ago, have not progressed past being just inch high shoots due to the soil being so dry now.

Librarian said...

Like Cro, I know Pink Lady to be a variety of apples, one I sometimes buy at my local Aldi store.
And like Derek, I enjoy the beatiful weather but worry about the dry soil. There were a few hours of rain last Saturday, but not a single drop since then, and it does not look likely there will be more until maybe some time next week.

Jules said...

After our long, wet winter it's been so lovely to have a good spell of warm and sunny weather. X

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

You paint a pretty picture! Perhaps there should be some kind of lockdown to prevent these fashions from spreading too far, though I fear it's already out of control.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I had a smile tomyself - alas girls we are not there yet. Comments about ladies and their fashions are everywhere but really given a choice I think I would rather see a lady than a man in shorts - bottom hugging or not - mine are still on an unused shelf in the wardrobe but I know I will never wear them again.!

My lovely gardener came yesterday while I was out on my walk with Percy - and he staked my iris and some of my Acquelegia - and watered my newly planted geraniums and antirrhinums. I only noticed this morning.

Sue said...

We really are a nation of complainers aren't we. I was only reading a meme on Facebook this morning about how we should see complaining as the negativity it is and instead always try to look for the positive. Not quite so easy to do when I've just come into the house after being roasted alive in the polytunnel at 10am in the morning and I'm having a good moan about the heat.

I will try harder not to complain in future though ... perhaps ;-)

Brenda said...

I have noticed that those bloggers in the U.K. seem to be less complaining...maybe I have missed the negativity...We are reaching almost 100,000 lost in the U.S.