Sunday 31 May 2020

Sunday

Another lovely day and listening to Breakfast over mine this morning it seems there is no rain in sight at all.   It is destined to turn cooler, with a wind coming down from the North some time next week, but still dry.   An arable farmer on TV talking about prospects for his crops this year was in no doubt that things for him were deadly serious.   Crops like sweet corn had not come through the ground yet - what at this time of the year was usually green and healthy was this year just brown earth.   And we are talking of his livelihood.

Some days go better than  others don't they?   Today has slotted nicely into place for me.   I seem to have had a hectic few days when everything has been very tiring, but today all has gone to plan.  An early breakfast, a shower, a tidy round, outside tubs watered and then a walk round the estate with Percy  in full sunshine but with a pleasant cooling breeze.   Then I cooked myself a lunch - cottage pie with spinach and carrots and took my chair out on to the patio for a read and a dose of vitamin D. Then I heard the ice cream van in the distance.   We have a local ice cream company who are coming round - they had a good shield on the window which made it feel much safer getting the tub of ice cream (strawberry).   I sat in the sun and ate it (my pud after lunch).   Then took my duvet coat out of the wardrobe and put it into its Summer coat-bag (don't think I shall be needing it again until December at the earliest), took my shirts and T shirts out of the drawer where they have been all winter and filled the drawer with my jumpers all washed, ironed and put away for the Summer.   Now all that remains is to give all my shirts a bit of a run over with the iron tomorrow before hanging them on hangars in the wardrobe. 

Time now for a beetroot salad for my tea and then a settle down to watch Country File.   Take care and see you all tomorrow.

11 comments:

JayCee said...

Yes, I think we can pack away our winter clothes now. Our garden thermometer registered 30C today. Unheard of for us. Ice cream sounds like a very good idea right now.

Sue said...

Sounds like you enjoyed the sunshine and had a good day Pat.

Librarian said...

My padded winter coats are packed away, too, but I have not yet re-activated all my summer things.
Nice to know you had a good day today, it all sounds very nice with delicious meals and even ice cream as well as a walk and sitting in the sun.

Heather said...

I don't exactly put my winter or summer clothes away. They are all to hand and ready to wear throughout the year as the temperature is like a yo-yo at times.
Your day sounded ideal - chores done, a little bit of exercise and free Vit.D then settling down with a good book. Not to mention the delicious food.

Chris said...

I did my changeover last weekend as it was blisteringly hot, but now it has turned quite cold (high of 12C today) so back out they came. Luckily it is going to warm up again in a day or two

angryparsnip said...

We really don't have a big change over of clothes. Just some socks, another sweater and a scarf !
Need to look up beetroot salad !
parsnip

Podo said...

Haven't heard an ice cream van in years!

Joanne Noragon said...

Thanks for the update, Weaver. I did all that change out last week. And it turned damn cold the last couple of days. I added a sweatshirt over my jammies, because I'm tough as it is cold!

Cro Magnon said...

In my experience you can sow Maize in solid concrete and it will flourish. It was sown here mid-May, and with hot sun and no rain is already doing well; as are the Sunflowers.

Derek Faulkner said...

Here on Sheppey in N. Kent, a lot of maize is being grown to be sold to a local farmer's big new bio-digestible plant that turns green matter into fuel. A lot of maize was sown about five weeks ago into bone dry soil and fortunately it rained a day after and after a few days the maize sprouted. For the last four weeks we have had non-stop dry and sunny weather and the area is like a dust bowl and the maize has stayed at just a couple of inches high and is starting to yellow.

thelma said...

Here the tractors with huge loads are taking the grass off the fields for silage. There seems to be an enormous amount of stuff it has been non-stop all day. I suspect they are worried about the possible rain later on in the week. Wish I was more organised with my clothes..