Friday 29 May 2020

Birthdays

Today was friend M's birthday (like some of our little group of friends, she will not see eighty again).   A tiny group of us sat (socially distanced) in the garden and each had a slice of her birthday cake.   It was such a happy occasion.

My new freezer is coming tomorrow.   I think that the seal has gone in the top left hand corner of the door because the top drawer freezes shut and is impossible to get open.   So tomorrow Currys PC World will arrive between two and six in the afternoon to bring my new one and take the old one away.   That gives me plenty of time in the morning to defrost and store the stuff in the two cool boxes.   I have deliberately run the freezer down so this should be relatively easy.

I seem to have had several very busy days when I have found life rather tough going.   Not being able to walk without either Percy or a stick means that I am slow and so every job I do seems to take an age.   But nothing to do tomorrow apart from waiting in for the freezer so I should at last have a relaxed day (fingers crossed).

I am conscious that we must take advantage of the sun at the moment.   We all know that in this country June does not necessarily mean 'flaming'.   Much as we gardeners wish for rain what would be really nice would be a really good rain overnight each night and pleasantly warm sunny days with perhaps a cooling breeze.    But does the weather ever obey our wishes?   Of course not.   Like everything else in Nature  it serves to remind us that we are nothing like as clever as we like to think we are.   Sleep well.


9 comments:

Heather said...

It has been hot again here and the only way I can cope with it is to get out by 9.30am and back in by 10am! I then open all the windows, close the blinds against the sun and the flat stays beautifully cool all day. I have had my exercise and free Vitamin D so the rest of the day is my own!
I can imagine how much your friend enjoyed her birthday gathering - how lovely to have such a fine day for it.
Hope all goes well tomorrow with the new freezer.

Bonnie said...

That sounds like a wonderful birthday party! Enjoy your evening and have a good weekend!

Cro Magnon said...

We are promised some rain for the end of next week; meanwhile everything is parched, and I'm considering installing the sprinkler for my vegs. Still, it's beautiful swimming weather!

Rachel Phillips said...

Such lovely weather makes everything easier than it would be in the rain. Enjoy.

Librarian said...

I like the sound of that birthday meeting - friends, cake and sunshine, what more could one wish for?
It has been dry and sunny here all week, but not as warm as I would have liked it to be. In a bit, I will get on the train to O.K.'s where I will spend the long weekend; Monday is a Bank Holiday in this country. A barbecue with is his parents, sister and her husband is organised for this afternoon; hopefully, the wind will have settled down then, it is not nice to have the smoke from the grill blown about too much.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'm glad you got to see your friends again.
We have the cooling breeze here - a bit too cooling in the shade!

Tom Stephenson said...

Currys has been in the news recently for taking orders on fridges and freezers, then not delivering them for weeks. There has been a boom on freezers since the lockdown and Currys cannot resist an order it seems.

POKERAMPM88 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sewing mamie said...

We had a socially distancing afternoon tea in the garden for my friend , it was lovely to see each other after more than three months , I think sitting in the garden makes it even more special . We were just gratefull that the farmer did not come to turn the hay in our field half way through tea lol .