Tuesday 21 April 2020

What on earth is that noise?

I went for a walk round the block after lunch.   I didn't feel like it as my arthritis is very bad at the moment but I must keep going otherwise I shall sieze up.   When I came back I sat down with a cup of tea and dozed off (as I often do after lunch for a few minutes) and woke up to such a strange sound.   It is windy and the wind is blowing from the East so I persuaded myself it was the wind blowing down the chimney - until after several minutes I remembered I hadn't got a chimney!  Then the noise source passed the window - it was D, my gardener, strimming the edges prior to cutting my front lawn.   And not a moment too soon.   There were at least a hundred dandelions in full bloom and - yes - I know the bees like them, but nobody on the road has dandelions instead of grass and I am not brave enough to stand out in a crowd.

I am a very unpractical person (two very practical husbands has made it unnecessary) and had no idea where the stop tap was for my outside tap.   D found it in seconds, turned it on and watered the back garden where I had planted several new plants in the past week.   The soil in some places is hard and cracked and in other places just like sand.  Everything is starved of water, of that there is no doubt.   So D gave my new plants a good drink.   Just in time and saved me a job.

He then gave all my lawns a good feed so all I need now is a day of rain but don't we all?   Remember I told you I had bought a new iris called Pink Lady?   Well I was beginning to think it wasn't going to flower - today there are two fat buds on her so my camera is all ready  to take her portrait for you when she emerges.   And the twenty or so little seedlings which I have been saving because I didn't know whether they were weeds or plants worth saving have now been identified - they are indeed seedlings from a deep pink hellebore which was a picture last year and is a picture again this year.   I left it to seed on purpose because they are wonderful at cross pollinating and one never knows what will emerge.   Now I am in urgent need of a bag of good compost so that I can pot them on - but where to get compost in these closed down times.   When I go on line to add to my Tesco order in a while I shall just check in case they are selling it - that would be perfect as my delivery is booked for Friday morning.

I seem to have adapted to this new way of living.   It is now a month since I went anywhere other than round the block with Percy and I can't say that I am missing anything.   Cooking my lunch, doing bits in the garden where I can, chatting to all of you on the internet, ringing and chatting to friends, reading,watching my favourite TV programmes and this morning having a virtual coffee morning with four friends - all seems enough to keep me happy.   Hope you are feeling the same.   We are all in this together and we will win in the end.   Take care everyone.

14 comments:

Gwil said...

Yes, we’re all in the bat sh.t together. Until this passes and hopefully the world changes for the better let’s enjoy our gardens and our local neighborhoods as we keep our social distance. Mrs G has a mask from H1N1 days and I have a running Buff. We depend on deliveries from our next door neighbours and their young family a godsend for us. The only places Mrs G goes are once a week to bank and bakery and she always wears her mask. I only go on the forest.

Anonymous said...

Our local garden centre is now doing home delivery- compost and plants. I suggest you contact yours and ask if they will deliver to you. Good luck

JayCee said...

We have had no rain here for some time and are using what is left in the water butts for the garden. The thermometer on our patio registered 27C this lunchtime, however it is in a very sheltered position.
Our chief minister announced today that they are planning to ease some of our lockdown restrictions on Friday, with only a couple of sectors allowed back to work, providing safe conditions are followed. I am disappointed though by the really stupid comments that have since been posted on social media this evening, some by people who cannot even put a simple sentence together it seems. Why can't people understand simple instructions?
I shall still be abiding by the social distancing measures!

Heather said...

I find that I am getting used to the new 'norm' too. It is no hardship to me and I feel rather guilty sometimes because I am just doing the things I like most! I hasten to add that I do housework too.
Hope you get your potting compost - I used to love potting things up and renewing all the tubs each spring.

justjill said...

Do try local garden centres and hardware shops they are struggling to survive and will deliver.

Jules said...

I've also been surprised at how quickly I've adjusted to these new measures. I think I will find it more difficult when we eventually return to 'normal' once again.
Who would've thought just a few weeks back that we would be grateful for rain.
Keep well, Pat. X

GillyK said...

Hi Pat, if you ring House & Home (625471) they will deliver compost. Ring Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday between 10 - 12. I rang them today and they delivered a couple of hours later. You pay over the phone when you order. They will deliver anything from the shop, I got some compost, wood filler and a plastic tub.
Hope that helps.

Chris said...

I have compost but no way to get fertilizer for the lawn. We should team up!

angryparsnip said...

I hear a noise this morning but as the gud dugs didn['t pay any attention I was sure it was somethings the wind blew are the home.
parsnip

Cro Magnon said...

The rain has arrived here just as ordered. It rained making the soil more pliable, I planted much of my summer crops, then it rained again to settle them in. If only it was always thus!

Donna said...

You are inspirational. Thank you!

Librarian said...

We really need some rain here, too, but according to the weather forecast there is none coming our way soon. I predict it will rain as soon as I finish cleaning my windows, though!
Good idea to ring your garden center, they will be happy to deliver, such orders give them at least a little of their usual business.
For me, as long as my family and friends are well (which they all are) and I am allowed to go for walks as much as I want (which I am) and work is still going on (which it is), I don't find the current situation difficult at all. But I know I am one of the lucky ones, there are countless others whose situation is very different from mine.

Tom Stephenson said...

I like the idea of the wind whistling down your non-existent chimney Weave.

Daisy Debs said...

Glad you're o.k. Looking forward to seeing the Pink Lady Iris ! :) x