Wednesday 29 January 2020

Slow cooking.

I have various cooking methods in my kitchen - a Microwave, a small oven, a large oven, a Remoska and a Slow cooker.   I have resolved to use my Slow cooker more than I do - various friends have them and use them all the time (their houses always smell delicious when I go in (you know who you are)).  Two of these friends bought me a Slow Cooker Cookery Book and I decided that each week I would make a recipe from it, eat half for my lunch and freeze the other half for another day.   To this end I started this week and chose Orange Beef.

Braising steak cooked in orange juice with the grated rind of an orange added, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic and a tiny pinch of chilli flakes - cooked for seven hours (thickened with a bit of cornflour for the last half hour).   I cooked it yesterday and tasted it before switching off.   I found it a bit overpowering but by lunch time today it had tempered down considerably.   I served it with a jacket potato (my favourite way with potatoes) and stir fried mange tout, sweet corn, broccoli, and tomato and it was delicious.   I froze the other half of the beef for another day - I shall serve that with either rice or noodles.   So thank you S and T - success with my first effort.   Now it is what to try next.

 For some time I have had a four-wheeled walking frame but my Physiotherapist said I must not walk Tess with it because of the danger of falling, so I have only used it once (at Saltburn with my son and his wife, when I left Tess at home).   This morning was pleasant so I donned hat and coat and gloves and walked the long way round the top of the estate as I used to do on my best days with Tess.   I managed it well and felt so much better for the walk when I returned home.   I shall try to do this walk whenever I can and when the weather is suitable.   I am sure it will do my arthritis good.
I was well ready for a rest when I returned but after lunch I managed to finish cleaning out another desk and putting things in order.  Tomorrow I hope to make a start on cleaning out my files - or shredding paper - don't know which; depends how I feel.

16 comments:

JayCee said...

Orange Beef. What an unusual recipe. It sounds delicious. I think I shall have a go.

Bonnie said...

I love orange chicken but I have never had orange beef. It sounds like something to try. I need to find more recipes for the slow cooker too. Some I have tried I did not care for but I should give it another go. Maybe I need a different book of recipes.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

That looks a good lunch to come home to after a walk in the cold.

Heather said...

Your new beef recipe sounds delicious. I don't use a slow cooker but often make casseroles in my electric oven. I cook a family sized one and eat one portion the day I make it and freeze the rest in portion sized tubs.
Glad you enjoyed your walk and felt the benefit of it. I suffer from lymphoedema and have recently started a short exercise programme each morning to strengthen my leg muscles. I think it is starting to work already. We've got to keep our legs going as long as possible.

Ruth said...

A great start to a new year after the loss of your dear Tess. Your meal looks healthy and delicious. That's a wonderful plan to cook and freeze several meals so that you have a good dinner on days you either don't have time or just don't feel like cooking.

So happy to know you had a nice walk outside. Hopefully soon the weather will make it a frequent occurrence.

the veg artist said...

I've made two batches (8 meals) of venison casserole with red wine in the last few weeks and yes, the house does smell wonderful. Finally preparing the meal is so much easier when it's then just spuds and veg, both steamed in this house. Glad you've got into the swing of it.

angryparsnip said...

This sounds very good.
I have not been eating so daughter comes over the first of the week takes me shopping then cooks up some veggie/vegan dishes. She makes me chicken even though she doesn't eat it so I will have some more protein. Some in the freezer some in the frig. I just became a diabetic and especially in the morning I just don't want to eat.
parsnip

Joanne Noragon said...

That's exactly how I use my slow cooker. Except I seem to get at least three more meals from one go at it.

Red said...

We have a slow cooker. I find meat to be very dry that is done in a slow cooker.

Cro Magnon said...

I always put shaved zest of Orange into my Beef stews, but I've never tried actual Orange juice. I must give it a go.

Librarian said...

That meal looks and sounds lovely, Pat!
You know from my blog that I am a "walker" and always advocate walking as being very good for both body and mind, so your decision to take that longer walk as often as you can really pleases me. I am sure it will do you good, especially once spring really sets in and you'll see the flowers come out in the front gardens, blossoms on shrubs and so on. No doubt you will also meet neighbours and dog walkers and stop for an occasional chat.

Carol said...

I had to Google mange tout .. and learned that it is what we call (in Australia) snow peas. Interesting.

Catherine said...

Well done on your wal, you put me to shame. I have a slow cooker too but need to be pushed to use it more. It is invaluable for cooking the tougher cuts of meat and very cheap to run too. I love oxtail cooked low and slow so might cook it this weekend when I see what the butcher has to offer. I love anything cooked with orange and coincidentally had a chicken traybake last night cooked with orange, maple syrup, grain mustard and sherry vinegar. I found the recipe online and it was really tasty, slightly sticky but not too sweet.
Looking at the weather here this morning there will be no walking done here. It is dull and damp so I’ll pop out to do the weekend shopping and then tidy my sewing room before any new project gets started.

Heleng said...

The beef looks delicious. I use my slow cooker all the time, I love being able to throw everything in, turn it on and leave it to do its thing. I even do baked potatoes, scrub them, dry them, put in on high for approx 3-4 hours depending on size (no liquid needed), when done pop under the grill for a few minutes to crisp the outsides. Great if you need to do several as they can take a while in the oven or even the microwave; in the slow cooker you can just walk away and leave them to do their own thing.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone for spurring me on.

pamala palz said...

First, I want to complement this site administrator for creating this platform for us to express our feelings. Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine from DR. Obela the greatest herbalist doctor in the world and is only few American doctors that know about this herbal medicine from Dr Obela .. I have read about Dr Obela the great herbalist doctor from African who can cure disease with his powerful herbal medicine. for the people suffering from the following diseases, Herpes,HIV/Aids, SARS virus Cancer, Also, Hepatitis, Diabetes, Hpv, Infections ETC should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes. Although, i sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine through DHL courier delivery company which i took for 10 days and today when i went for test i was tested herpes negative. you can reach him through his Whatsapp number +2347084171950 or email: drobelaspellhome@gmail.com