Friday 19 July 2019

Friday

After my sudden unexpected fall the other day, a fall which was totally unexplained, I have decided not to drive my car again until I have consulted the doctor in case it turns out to be a T I A.   I know how common they are in older people.  I must get to know the bus service into town (there is a stop at the end of my road) - I already have my Bus Pass but have never used it.   Also there are several good taxi firms in town so it would be easy to use them too.   I have rarely gone further in my car than into town for a long time now, so it will not be too much of an inconvenience once I get used to it.   I would never be able to forgive myself if I had one while driving (they are usually only momentary).

On a happier note - for about an hour this evening we have had quite heavy rain.   We really need it to rain heavily all night as we are really desperate in our gardens,but even a couple of hours is better than all the watering with a can and there are still enormous black clouds overhead so hopefully a bit more to come before next week's threatened heat wave.

This week end is our forties week end here in the town, when ladies and gentlemen take over the town in their military uniforms (always officers strangely enough) - we have ATS girls, WAAFs, Yanks, Army, Navy and Air force personnel, Air Raid Wardens, Nursing Auxiliaries - you name it; they are an enthusiastic bunch and stall holders abound to sell them new items of gear and clothing.   So I hope it rains overnight and then clears for the weekend as it promises.  Next week promises a gigantic heat wave.   I can do without that, I am not a hot weather person.

Lunch today as usual and we both had the same - salmon, fennel and saute potatoes in a butter sauce.   I have had no appetite all week but it is slowly coming back and I really enjoyed my lunch.

18 comments:

Heather said...

I do hope your doctor will be able to reassure you but you are wise to be cautious. So glad you are feeling better and were able to enjoy lunch with friends.
I would love to be able to see the Forties Weekend celebrations. It would take me right back to my childhood.
Heavy rain here for most of the day so we have had a really good soaking. Not looking forward to next week's heatwave. I shall go out early and then 'hibernate'.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Sorry to hear about your TIA, really am.

The retro weekend sounds amazing though

justjill said...

Hope your fears are put to rest.

Granny Sue said...

You are wise to wait until you've been checked out before driving again. I admire your practical, realistic way of looking at possible changes in your life. I also admire your appreciation for the small pleasures that make each day interesting. Wishing you well, Pat, and hoping the doctor gives you a good report.

diana said...

Sorry about your fall but so glad you posted today so we know you are okay. I do hope it was caused by nothing serious.

Tom Stephenson said...

What a responsible sweetie you are, Weave. Always thinking of others. I bet they clear you for car driving though.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm glad you're feeling better!

angryparsnip said...

Happy to know you are feeling better. Falls are always so scary.
Your lunch as always sounds wonderful.
parsnip x

Derek Faulkner said...

Finally, on the dust bowl that is Sheppey, we have had two storms overnight which have brought rainfall of bibical proportions. The water level in my pond has risen by several inches as is now level with the lawn and although the rain has flattened several flowers it was much needed ahead of next weeks heatwave.

Daisy Debs said...

Poor you ! Glad you are feeling a bit better now . Yes I,m dreading the big heatwave too ! You take care now ! :) x

Rachel Phillips said...

Sounds like you are wanting to give up driving. Hope you have a lovely weekend and enjoy your meal tomorrow.x

Sue in Suffolk said...

Good to hear from you I was worried your fall had done more damage than you thought. Hope the doctor visit goes well and you can drive for a bit longer.

Librarian said...

You are very reasonable about your health, and I hope your doctor will get to the root of your fall.
It sounds like giving up driving won't be much of an inconvenience, now that you do not live on the farm anymore.
We've had a bit of rain (not much - the streets were dry almost instantly again, but better than nothing) and are expecting the start of our second heat wave of this summer.
Today, 31C is forecast, and next week, 36 or so in my town, possibly reaching 40 in O.K.'s area.

Bovey Belle said...

Hoping that the Doc will set your mind at ease, but best to find out why you had that fall. Glad you are on a good bus route and have local taxis. We're 10 miles from civilization and 3 from the nearest bus stop so not a lot of good to us!!

We had steady rain most of yesterday, and my garden was delighted and I dare say if I look closely I will find a Slug Jamboree taking place in my Runner Bean plot . . .

JayCee said...

Hope all goes well with your doctor's consultation. It will be good to know what the situation is so you can consider all your options, as you are already. My father-in-law's partner who lives alone and is now into her nineties has recently decided to give up driving. She has sold her car and now uses a taxi to go the short distance into town for appointments etc. A good friend does her shopping at the local Co-Op store, who then deliver it for her. We are quite relieved that she is no longer driving around as she is not in the best of health.
We have had quite a lot of rain but hoping it will clear up later today for our guests.
Take care.

DUTA said...

Listen to your body, that's the best advice.
The doctor can help with the numbers; if blood pressure is too low or too high - then, even commuting, not only driving, might become a health hazard.

Ruth said...

I'm so happy to hear you're going to be checked by your doctor. You are certainly exercising good sense in not driving until you do. The other day I was telling a friend about a fall I had recently. I tripped, but certainly shouldn't have - never would have before. I couldn't get up and had to wait until my husband parked the riding mower and could hear me calling him. I was supremely thankful nothing was broken! My friend recommended I get one of those medical alert things to wear in case I'd fall and had no one to help. You might consider it, too. But in the meantime, stay safe and on your feet. Wishing you only the best!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ruth - I have a Medical Alert - a scheme run by our Local Authority which I pay for evey month. Someone comes round and checks on me every month. If I need help of any kind in an emergency I just press the button. My son made me get one and he feels much happier now it is on my wrist.

Rachel - Always perceptive - there is an element of truth in what you say!!

JayCee - I have my order delivered early from Tesco each week so there will be no need to change there.

Thanks everyone for your concern.