Tuesday 23 April 2019

Tuesday

Friend S came a day early this week to take Tess for her walk because the forecast for tomorrow is not too good and Tess can come to our Poetry with me and so will get to go out anyway.   Needless to say Tess was ecstatic at the idea of a walk regardless of what day of the week it was and, because there were beast in the field she usually walks through, they went on an extra long walk.  It is good to have friends who are so thoughtful and so good to me and Tess.

I have been busy all day doing various little jobs which have wanted doing for a long time.   Each one has proved satisfying and now, as I settle down for the evening, I feel a glow from all the little things I have done that I no longer have to think about.  Dishwasher and Washing machine have both had a thorough cleanse with special stuff and as a result smell fresh and lemony.   The knife drawer is clean and tidy, the fridge has been emptied and washed out, as has the microwave.   The dog beds have been aired and are ready to be put back in the two beds (one daytime and one nighttime), pots in the garden have been watered.

As I write the sky is beginning to cloud over with high cloud.   The barometer has gone back steadily every day since Saturday and I really hope that some of that forecast rain falls on our gardens here.   Sorry for those on holiday up here in the Dales but the gardens are desperate.

I shall go now and watch The Yorkshire Vet and then Ben Fogle with somebody who has opted out of modern life and is living in some remote place somewhere.   Some times, when the news gets as awful  as it is at present there is something rather attractive about the prospect don't you think?

13 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

Goodness. you have had a busy day, I'm still recovering from the weekend!

JayCee said...

Oh I wish I could find the motivation to do all those little jobs around the house like yours. I had intended to start on the spring cleaning this week after our holiday but have now come down with a cold. Probably from all those people coughing and sneezing on the plane! Perhaps next week. Enjoy your evening.

the veg artist said...

I think Ben Fogle's visitee tonight is a woman who has gone and set up an artists' retreat in a desert - as you do! I suppose life goes on in the outside world regardless of what most of us do, so we may as well enjoy it.

Heather said...

One of my daughters and her husband have found a way to opt out of modern life quite often by living on a narrowboat. They have a permanent mooring with various site facilities but can cast off a chug along the canal and moor up where ever there is the opportunity. I visited them over the weekend and it was idyllic and so peaceful. They do emerge to take part in the hurly burly of modern life from time to time, only to retreat once more to live surrounded by nature.

justjill said...

It is one of the pluses on retiring that we can retire away from the hurly burly. We can pick and choose to a certain extent - health permitting of course!

Sue said...

I love that feeling of satisfaction after a day of getting jobs done. I have a few messy closets that I need to tend to and it will be a relief to get them done.

Joanne Noragon said...

I like the thought of Tess at poetry with you.

Cro Magnon said...

Rain here this morning, which gives me the chance to stay inside and see to inside jobs. I might even have a look inside the Microwave to see if it needs cleaning.

Librarian said...

That reminds me that I meant to use the lemony special stuff on my washing machine, too; I bought it a while ago but it has only gone as far as sitting on top of the machine.
Yes, jobs done can leave us feeling rather good! I completed a task at work yesterday that I thought would keep me busy much longer into the week, and I'm so glad about that.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for your comments. Ben Fogle was indeed as you say Veg artist - fascinating stuff. It is a programme I really enjoy because it takes a lot of courage to do what she has done. I certainly dare not do it.

Derek Faulkner said...

I do wonder about Ben Fogle and his marriage. His mate James Cracknell's has now failed because he was rarely at home and always looking for the next challenge. Ben seems to follow a similar lifestyle, either wandering the world filming various programmes, or also taking on punishing challenges. The programmes by the way are very interesting, although there have been a couple in the past whereby I have questioned how genuine the people were.

Rachel Phillips said...

I think Cracknell's goes a bit deeper than that Derek.

I would like to see where the kite surfers are in 10 tears time.

Derek Faulkner said...

Yes, I realise that Cracknell had mood problems etc. after his accident in America but these guys do leave their wives and children behind an enormous amount, Dan Snow is another one.