Friday 5 April 2019

Friday

At last, today, there is a very faint hint of Spring in the air.   In the Market Place of our little town, when the wind is in a certain direction (as it was today ) it is almost impossible to weave an even course.   But as the day has gone on the wind has eased and when Tess and I went on our evening walk it was actually quite warm.   When I went a moment ago to turn down the central heating thermostat before getting ready for bed I found I had never turned it up in the first place and I haven't been cold this evening - so that is a good sign too.

As usual, friend W and I went out for lunch - and we changed our venue - going instead to a pub called The Three Horseshoes, where they make the most delicious quiches - deep and served warm with beautiful chips and a salad.  

Four lupin plants which I bought from the garden man after lunch have been placed in my border - it is filling up nicely and the forget me nots at the front are coming into bloom, and rather than being the pale blue most of them are, these are a very deep blue - which is a real treat. Really, the herbaceous plants in the whole garden seem to be growing now at such a pace that each morning when I draw back the curtains the plants have got bigger and filled in more space.

It is no longer just the robins that are singing it is every single bird around.  And, judging by the number of blackbirds singing when Tess and I go on our early morning walk, we must have a blackbird every sixty yards or so with a mate, so they are all nesting somewhere.   I think I might have a pair nesting in my back garden hedge.   I thought I had a pair last year and this year they are back and seem to spend all day scratching about in the garden for food so I wonder if they already have young.   Isn't Spring wonderful?

It is the monthly Coffee morning in the morning at The Village Hall and I almost always go.   And if all goes according to plan (that is if A makes her usual turkey lasagnes to sell) I shall be having that for my lunch and later in the day ratatouille which I intend to make in my slow cooker as an experiment.   Watch this space.


 

15 comments:

Heather said...

Spring is such a lovely time of year and always an exciting time for those with gardens. I used to love going round each morning to see what had popped up since I last looked. I look forward to seeing photos of your flower beds when they are in full bloom.
Your lunch sounds delicious and I hope you were able to get your lasagne.

Bonnie said...

Your garden sounds beautiful especially with the deep blue forget-me-nots! Don't you love this time of the year when the birds are all singing and the weather finally warms up. We are now having an assortment of cool days with a few warmish ones mixed in, so Spring will be here soon.

justjill said...

Feeling positive. For us all. I cant do a smiley face on here but I have one.

Joanne Noragon said...

Only this past week have I given any credence to spring. It remains far to wet in my little garden to begin spring cleaning, but it's coming.

Kathy said...

would love to see pictures of your garden! Kathy in Chicago IL USA

angryparsnip said...

With all the rain we had the wildflowers are blooming everywhere.
So wonderful.

cheers, parsnip

Cro Magnon said...

Masses of Cowslips here; always a good sign!

thelma said...

Well first thing in the morning here it is cold,cold,cold ;)But your side of Yorkshire seems to be having the better weather.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the bounce in your “voice” Pat.
I was concerned that you were finding the chilly weather so tiresome.
Enjoy the new life and promise of warmer periods.
We have been in Bakewell for the last 2 weeks and have had some glorious days.
Coming back to colder weather was an unpleasant shock but the sun is shining this morning so I am smiling.
Sue

Librarian said...

Oh yes, spring is wonderful! My cherry tree has begun to ooen its blossoms, and here at O.K.'s, where I am for the weekend, orchards and gardens are even a little further ahead. It was rather cold on Thursday and Friday but is milder today.
Your garden must look lovely; forgetmenots are one of my favourite flowers. And quiche... yummmmm!

JayCee said...

It does sound wonderful. I can imagine your garden coming to life now and the sun shining! We have put some forget-me-nots into a pot outside our door where we can see them all the time. My husband found them, apparently self-sown, down by the gas tank hidden from view so he has moved them. We even have some blossom now on our fruit trees. They always look so pretty but quite a short flowering period. I love spring.

jinxxxygirl said...

Still picking Daffodils here Pat.. Where i work.. at the State Park we have a water feature out front.. and back... with a small creek between them and the frogs and toads are going crazy!! Their sound is so loud we can hear it in the building with all the doors and windows closed! I'am told the the loudest of them all is the Dwarf American Toad.... it makes a whirling sound.. lovely to hear when not overpowering..lol Hugs! deb

Tom Stephenson said...

I wonder why three horseshoes. Four would make more sense.

Derek Faulkner said...

Perhaps the fourth, and lucky one, was inside hanging over the bar.

Rambler said...

The Three Horseshoes is named after the traditional sign of the blacksmith, with the 4th horseshoe being worked on by the farrier. We used to have a pub of that name in the village where I used to live - and I asked about the name all those years ago.