Tuesday 5 March 2019

Lunch

Our Tuesday lunch day today (every other Tuesday) and a new lady which is always nice, especially as she lives further down my road.  Of course there is only one thing we could possibly eat today and that is pancakes, because today is Shrove Tuesday.   The first course was pancakes stuffed with a mixture of ham and cheese - and they were delicious.   For the second course we could have chocolate brownies, or sandwich cake, or more pancakes - this time served with either golden syrup or lemon juice.   I am a lemon juice fan and had two with lemon and sugar, so four altogether - two with ham and cheese and two with lemon juice.   And then, being really naughty
(may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb) I finished off with a piece of chocolate brownie - that was delicious too.   Marks all round to A our cook each week, who does it all cheerfully and without complaint.

So it is nothing else to eat today after the huge lunch - maybe a fruit salad at tea  time because I have just stocked up my fruit bowl this morning and have seriously missed fruit the last couple of days as I have been too lazy to get out the car and go shopping.

As the day has worn on so the wind has strengthened and it is now blowing a gale and is very cold.   But the sun is shining so that inside, in my sitting room facing South, it is very pleasant.
Tess thinks so too - I came home at two after lunch, to find her stretched out on the sofa in the full sun (she is not allowed on the furniture).   Back in her own bed now, and suitably chastened, I do hope she is not forming  a new habit.

Cup of tea and unopened magazine now - what could be better?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten it was shrove tuesday today! Pancakes for tea it is :o).

Derek Faulkner said...

One of the down sides of living on my own - I don't have anybody to make me pancakes!
I would have found your lunch-time meal today most enjoyable, quite miss pancakes.

Rachel Phillips said...

I do not associate pancakes with savoury. Only lemon and sugar. I could not eat them any how else.

Heather said...

That sounds like the perfect day from beginning to end. The savoury pancake must have been very tasty. I am usually a bit lazy and just go for lemon juice and sugar.

Lynn Marie said...

A serious question from the land where our buckwheat pancakes are served with butter and maple syrup: how you serve pancakes with lemon and sugar? Do you sprinkle on the sugar and then separately drizzle on lemon juice? Or is it a lemon sugar syrup?

Librarian said...

Four pancakes could be a lot - or not, depending on the size of each pancake!
We had high winds yesterday until late afternoon, I was working from home and could not open more than one window at a time and kept hearing things banging about in the gardens and on balconies near my house, such as empty buckets being thrown about by the wind. The weather app on my phone said windspeed was 51 km/h at times.

Tess said...

I love savoury pancakes...seafood in a white sauce..yum. And I am with you on lemon and sugar as the sweet version.

For the question from across the pond. Pancakes here are what are called crepes in US and Canada. Sprinkle on a little sugar and squeeze in lemon juice, must be the proper fresh stuff not the bottle (or worse plastic lemon) type.

Terra said...

Thank you Tess for explaining that in the USA we call them crepes. I recall when I lived in Paris briefly, we would enjoy crepes purchased from stands out in the street. Delicious.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I prefer them with lemon Rachel - but actually the ham/cheese ones were very tasty.
And to anyone who thinks I oversate - they were quite small pancakes and very thin - just how they should be.

Derek - one of the best things about the pancakes was that I didn't make them. The maker of pancakes usually suffers because everyone wants seconds and by the time you get round to cooking one for yourself, most of the mixture has been used up.

Derek Faulkner said...

That's exactly what I meant Pat, nothing like having them done for you. Also, when I get to your age, the last thing I'll be doing is worrying about over eating.

lynda said...

Make them yourself!!! Very easy!!

Tom Stephenson said...

Waitrose in Bath had not one single lemon on the shelves tonight. I needed to make a tahini sauce, not effing pancakes!

Alphie Soup said...

Two courses of pancakes. It's hard to better that on Shrove Tuesday.
Alphie

Joanne Noragon said...

I know it was Fat Tuesday, but I still had hash browns and eggs over. That restaurant makes the best hash browns in the universe!

Cro Magnon said...

'Not on the sofa' is a rule in this house too, but it never seems to be applied.

Rachel Phillips said...

The origin of pancakes was to use up the eggs, milk and lard before the Lenten fast. Nothing to do with fancy eating. Like all other religious days, it has lost its way and become something it was not meant to be.

Lynn Marie said...

Ah, like (what we call) crepes! That explains a lot. Thank you for solving this small puzzle for me.

Anonymous said...

We had lovely pancakes with wedges of lemon and a light sprinkle of demerara sugar. Delicious.
Today it is Low Carb Healthy Fat, and the local sports centre. We are both giving up a stone for Lent.
NellieGrace