Wednesday 20 March 2019

GARDENS AND OTHER THINGS.

The older one gets the less gardening one can do.   Well that is so with me at any rate.   I find it hard to balance without my stick in my hand which only leaves me one hand to work with.  So I have a fantastic gardener - D - who sadly has not been well for the last few weeks.    But he managed to come yesterday as he is feeling a little better.   The lawn is mown but now needs scarifying and he intends to return with a scarifyer to do that.   He also weeded the rockeries and cleared away the dead foliage from last year so that all the emerging plants can see the light.   Things are moving.

My new long border is taking shape.   In spite of the mouse-attack at least a hundred tulips survived and they are happily growing away.   The clumps of forget me nots which I bought for a pound last Autumn are now quite large clumps and are well in bud.   After they have flowered I shall leave them and then when they are ready I shall shake them around so that I have them every year.  I managed to plant three clumps of Shasta Daisies that I bought and this morning I have sent for a deep red Helenium and a red Lychnis and an unusual yellow Crocosmi.  A Monarda Cambridge Scarlet completes my order today and they will all go into the same border.   Now I need to scout around for some blue - I have chosen plants which flower more or less continuously from July to September so hopefully, once they get really established then they should do well.   If I am no longer here to enjoy them then someone else  will.

This is the day that friend S takes Tess for her walk after lunch.   Tess goes wild when S arrives - today was no exception.  On my walks round the estate I am accompanied by a sedate, elderly terrier - no such experience for S - Tess is a young. energetic dog againg raring for the off.

I had a lovely surprise when S arrived too because she brought me a present she had woven specially for me.    It is a lovely blue scarf with fringing and will go perfectly with my indigo leather jacket (my Mrs Peel jacket as my son calls it.)   So thank-you S.
S has woven this on her loom.
 
First day of Spring today.   It is a tad warmer and at present the sun is shining - so hopefully the weather is on the up.

16 comments:

Jennyff said...

Spring is here in Lazio too. I found a geranium in flower this morning, the graden is full of blossom and it’s nice and dry for weeding. So I’ve forgotten the house needs a good spring clean I’m outside. Hope spring sticks around with you, such a great time of year.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a beautiful scarf! It will go well everywhere. I'm glad your garden is coming along.

JayCee said...

A beautiful scarf. Such a lovely, soft colour. It will go well with the forget-me-nots.
We had some sunshine earlier this afternoon but that has now disappeared. Spring keeps poking its head out but then ducking back behind the clouds!

justjill said...

All those colours in the garden cant wait to see them! Lift your spirits that will. Love the scarf.

Librarian said...

What a great present - thoughtful, creative, beautiful, useful and handmade!
I expect the magnolia trees in my street to burst into bloom while I'm away, but hopefully they will last until I'm back.
A warmer day here today, too, but a frosty morning and now that the sun is starting to set, the chill can already be felt in the shadows.

Bonnie said...

The garden will be beautiful! What a lovely scarf your friend made you. A gift made with love and care by a friend is the best kind of gift.

busybusybeejay said...

I have recently bought a loom and started weaving so was interested in your gift.

Heather said...

That is a beautiful scarf and a special gift being made for you by a friend. I miss my garden especially at this time of year. It always looked it's best in Spring but I know I couldn't keep it going now. Your garden will look even more beautiful when the new plants have established themselves.

angryparsnip said...

Like you my gardening days are over and I have to fight off marauding Pack Rats that eat everything.
So I tend to plant low water desert plants and enjoy the simple.

cheers, parsnip

Cro Magnon said...

The only scarf I've had especially woven for me is a Rupert Scarf (which I still have). I'm afraid to say that my girlfriend at the time had little concept of 'scratchy-ness', and it is almost impossible to wear. I love it though.

thelma said...

Spring is truly on its way, the yellow brimstone is to be seen, and loads of ladybirds are starting to wake up, many of them were living under the garden table and chairs.

Rachel Phillips said...

Great moon last night

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I recall Mrs. Peel's jacket. As to your flowers, it would seem you have fine soil and climate. I can plant and plant and often what is supposed to come back doesn't. Too hot in summer, not cold enough in winter. Not enough water -- too much water. Of course, all these are only excuses for me not to get out into my garden. Next week's task.

Anonymous said...

How very lovely of your friend. A gift from the heart. Viv

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. Regarding the garden plants, I suspect they will all take at least another year to do very much. They are small plants when they arrive and need a year or maybe two to make a show. But I enjoy planning it and my gardener is very good at putting things in for me.

aryanoone said...

Thanks for sharing such a nice Blog.I like it.
mcafee product key
norton setup with product key
norton setup with product key
mcafee product key
comcast technical support phone number
AVG contact number
webroot customer service Phone number
kaspersky customer service Phone number
Outlook support number
microsoft edge customer service