Monday 11 March 2019

Alterations.

It took me an age to get on to my e mails this morning as BT kept telling me that it had up-dated the whole site to make things easier and more available.   I must say that after half an hour of  struggling, pressing arrows and the like, I certainly began to lose the will to live.   But magically, suddenly it all came right and the updated, revised, so called 'better' system appeared on the screen.   So far I find it all very strange but no doubt, like all the other changes I have weathered, I shall get used to it.   But, as usual, I do question why - when things are working well - they have to change.
Is it just because so computer whizz kid wants to play about with the system?

It has been a lovely day here (viewed from inside) - cold but dry and windy and the sun has shone all day.   The weather forecast for the week is nothing special and on breakfast television weather photographs this morning I was surprised to see one of several inches of snow at Hawes in North Yorkshire, only fifteen miles from my door.   But we have none here - and long may it remain that way.

I don't care to have a day when I don't speak to anyone.   When one lives alone, as I do now apart from my dog, it is easy to get into the habit of having days like that.   But on Mondays my cleaning lady comes and we have a good chat over coffee after she has 'gone through the bungalow'.   Two walks round the estate with Tess have meant that I have also chatted with at least four dog owners and their pets - one especially, a Patterdale/Border Terrier cross, is a particular favourite of Tess and her owner is always happy to stand and chat.

As the day has progressed everywhere has dried up nicely and now, as the sun goes down at almost four o'clock, the cold is coming down and the central heating has been turned up accordingly.  Soon it will be time to draw the blinds and get snug and warm for the evening - but first one last walk round with Tess - a short one this time merely for utility purposes you understand.


20 comments:

Terra said...

About change: once at work a change was proposed that would have been negative for me. I spoke out against it and a colleague said to me "you are just against change." I said I embrace change when it is an improvement but not when it is negative. Computers change so much, I do question whether all these changes are improvements. I am glad you and Tess enjoy your walks, Bounce and I enjoy ours.

thelma said...

A good but quiet day. As for computers, they are always nagging about something, little messages pop up telling you to do this or that. My phone is getting full up, or so it says. My daughter says put everything on the 'cloud' 'Yes well, wouldn't it float away' says ignoramus;)

JayCee said...

I used to train people to use computer applications before I retired but am now so hopelessly out of date - things change so fast these days I can't keep up.
I think one day I shall just throw away all my devices and go back to the days when I used pen and paper for everything.
All my photos are now on the "cloud" but I am expecting that particular facility to suddenly be withdrawn at some point leaving me with nothing!
Ah well.
Enjoy your walks - there is nothing like a little exposure to the outdoors to make you appreciate the joy of being alive.

Joanne Noragon said...

No dog for me, Weaver, but good for you!

Heather said...

Change for the sake of it is infuriating, and usually occurs just when I have become used to the last one! So often of late I find that changes 'to make things easier for our customers' is wishful thinking and usually to make things easier or cheaper for the providers.
We have had a beautiful March day here, very sunny, very blustery and rather chilly. I think there will be less pleasant days to come.
That last dog walk of the day is a labour of love at this time of year.

angryparsnip said...

I had a Border Terrier, grand gud dugs ! I miss her so much. Next time you see the Border mix could you take a photo for me ? I would love to see her and Tess.

cheers, parsnip

Mage said...

Delightful. Here too, cold and a bit wet. They tell us that it will soon be summy and 70. I will believe it when I see it.

Cro Magnon said...

It was quite warm here yesterday, so much so that when I lit the fire at about 5pm the sitting room instantly became far too hot.

gz said...

They just can't stop fiddling with things, even when they've got it working well!
Perhaps they are afraid that if they don't they will be out of a job?

Rachel Phillips said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Phillips said...

Funny how BT can say one thing to one user and nothing to another. My emails are unchanged. Weather is cold and as expected for the time of year. Apart from blogs and messages and emails I spoke to nobody yesterday. Thank goodness for blog friends.

ss said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Derek Faulkner said...

Do you never ring people up for a chat then, I imagine your good friend The Weaver would enjoy a chat.

Jennyff said...

I think we are wary because so many changes just make things worse. I'm thinking about call centres and how difficult it is to get any real help or speak to someone who can make a decision. Anyway its time to batten down the hatches as bad weather is forecast so stay home and keep cosy.

Anonymous said...

My educated guess is that there were changes/upgrades to the operating systems or some other system the site was dependent upon and the changes had to be made for it to continue to work. I see this all the time in my line of work. And sometimes (regularly, actually) there are add-ons that have to be purchased to maintain the same functionality with the new code.

It's how they get ya. And yes, painful. Especially if the code isn't tested thoroughly before it's delivered. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I too have the new, 'improved' email system It is awful. I do not mind change at all but this is a nightmare. Trying to open an email in a readable state now takes longer. Pollie

The Weaver of Grass said...

Anonymous - it is a relief to see that someone else has that e mail change- I just couldn't get on to my old e mail page without going along with what it told me to do. I have met two people who live close today and they have both had the same problem and now have the new format. Another friend says I must be sure it is not a scam - but don't see how I can do that.

Parsnip. I will take my camera and have a go at snapping that Patterdale/Border - I don't see him all that often because he is an old dog and his master only seems to walk him in good weather.

Derek - I can only think your comment was probably meant for someone else's site - maybe Rachel's I would guess.

Thanks everyone for bothering to read and reply - I always enjoy reading you so much.

Derek Faulkner said...

No Pat, it was a reply to Rachel's comment that she hadn't spoken to anybody all that day, but never mind.

Rachel Phillips said...

I don't think Weaver likes using the phone Derek because of her hearing aids so we email.

Derek Faulkner said...

I didn't realise Rachel, thanks for replying.