Friday 14 December 2018

A Day Out

Lovely day here today, sunny and bright but with snow forecast for tomorrow as a cold front and a warm front meet.   Isn't it odd how we begin to talk about the weather in technical terms?  The snow is forecast to go after one day but then it is set to get colder again.   I think I shall stop looking at the forecast.   Whatever the weather we have to take what comes so we might just as well grin and bear it.

I had to go today to The James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough for a UNeck Scan.   It was a long way (almost fifty miles) to go for something that took all of five minutes.   But my son very kindly took me and we had a lovely day out.   We were there early enough to have a coffee and cake in the Costa cafe before I had to go to Radiology and after we came out we stopped in the pretty little town of Yarm for a bit of lunch.   My son is vegetarian and has been for the last forty odd years and the cafe we found made him a veggie sausage bun, which he enjoyed.   I had veggie too - a jacket potato stuffed with garlic mushrooms and served with a salad.   A cup of coffee each and we were off home.   Taking a wrong turning meant that we had a lovely ride through very pretty, empty scenery - ploughed fields, neat hedges,the odd field of sheep - until we suddenly recogised where we were and resumed our way home.

Tess was so pleased to see me and we had a stroll before it got dark - a stroll as the sun set and the sky gradually lost its red glow.   Now, central heating turned back up, tea over, a snug evening is called for for both of us.

18 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

"Of all the roads both east and west, the road that leads to home is best." It is so fun to be "lost", but hold to the general direction, and suddenly be found.

Bovey Belle said...

That sounds like a lovely day out and a good meal. I am glad you weren't completely lost but got to see some fresh scenery. I love exploring!

It has been MUCH colder here today. I hope we don't have a perishing cold winter like the last one - once was quite enough to last me a while!

Gwil W said...


Hope you're ok. I had to look it up. All roads leads to home.

Thanks for the comment on the UK flag.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge have the unhappy knack of making 5 minute appointments last all afternoon with many moves from one waiting room to another being involved. Glad to hear that you received prompt attention and I hope that everything's OK.

justjill said...

I too hope everything ok after hospital. I can always find my way home. Useless at Geography its some sort of inbuilt radar! Day sounded good to me, particularly the end all cosy and warm.

Bonnie said...

I hope all is well with the medical test you had today. How nice that it gave the opportunity for you to spend time with your son. It is wonderful he is able to help you like that.

Heather said...

How good to have your son to drive you for your hospital appointment. I hope all is well. It has been very cold down here for the past two days but dry and bright, thank goodness. I tend to look at the clouds to decide what sort of weather is coming. Our weather seems to be so localised that we often don't get what has been forecast.
Glad you had an enjoyable detour on the return journey and got back to your cosy home.

Chris said...

You must love coming home to such a nice greeting from Tess.

Shelly W said...

There is an amazing vegetarian restaurant in Eaglescliffe , just over the bridge from Yarm .
It’s called ‘The Waiting Room ‘ , if you ever come back this way with your son I’d highly recommend it x

Joyce F said...

Now I have this little saying in my head though I'm not sure I remember it perfectly:

Whether the weather is cold
Or whether the weather is hot
We'll weather the weather
Whatever the weather
Whether we like it or not.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Lovely to have all that time with your son....Yesterday I spent most of the day with my daughter going to an appt. pretty far north of us and then to a store which I only get to about twice a year. But the best was chatting with my daughter Alice, just the two of us. Hope all your results are the ones you hoped for.

angryparsnip said...

What a wonderful day out even if it was for a scan.
I hope it all works out for you.

cheers, parsnip and badger

Cro Magnon said...

I thought it felt a bit cold this morning. I've just looked at the temperature, and it says -2C. I should be wearing gloves to type!

Librarian said...

Such long-ish drives can be really pleasant, if we are with someone we like or love, the roads are not too busy and the scenery gives us something nice to look at.
As for looking at the forecast, I always do, as I don't drive and have to decide on my outdoor clothing and other equipment (such as a brolly) when I leave the house.

Elizabeth said...

Sounds a lovely day out. It's good to spend time alone with one's adult children!

diana said...

Sounds like you made a could day out of a trip to the hospital. Hope the results from your scan are good.

Sue said...

It sounds like a lovely day out, and no doubt the little 'getting lost' detour made it even nicer.

Sue said...

A long way to travel for your scan so it was nice that your son could take you.