Sunday 9 September 2018

Sunday

It is very Autumnal here this week-end, particularly today when there is a really stiff wind blowing.   I am sitting here typing this with a fleece jacket on.

It has been an uninspiring few days with very little 'news' to write about.   One book read (by one of my favourite authors, Salley Vickers) - her latest, which is 'The Librarian'.   It is quite unlike any of her other books in that it is about a Childrens' Librarian and is written in a childish style as befits the subject matter.   Nevertheless I enjoyed it tremendously.

Last night was The Last Night of the Proms and what an absolutely splendid programme it was.   The Hindemith was brilliant and the perfection of the saxophonist Jess Gillam, playing Milhaud's Scaramouche was unbelievable - a delightful, unspoilt young girl with such a talent. 

Gerald Finley has the most beautiful voice and was a joy to listen to.And the virtuosity of the mandolin player was pretty awe inspiring.   The whole programme was so much better than it has been the last year or two and was enlivened by Sir Andrew Davis with his wonderful sense of humour for the occasion.

13 comments:

justjill said...

I have it recorded, the Proms, looking forward to watching it.

Heather said...

I have had to wear long sleeves today - the season is definitely turning. I enjoyed Last Night of the Proms too. Sir Andrew Davies is such a lovely fellow with a good sense of fun.

Bonnie said...

We have even had somewhat cooler weather here in the central part of the US. We are not completely beyond the summer weather yet but we are closer and I do enjoy this time of year. Enjoy your evening Pat.

Wilma said...

Sounds delightful, Weaver. Except for the part about wearing a fleece vest. Stay warm.

John Going Gently said...

Gerald was quite lovely. Agree x

Derek Faulkner said...

Despite being windy, Sunday afternoon here on Sheppey, was sunny and almost hot, a lovely day. Not being a classical music lover, I have never watched The Proms, but with nothing else to watch I put it on on Sat night and was enchanted by the young girl playing the saxaphone, she was quite brilliant. If all conductors had the sense of fun of Sir Andrew Davies, classical music would be far more attractive to people such as myself.

Alphie Soup said...

I've only read one Salley Vickery book, The Cleaner of Chartres. What a wonderful book! It is right up there on my 100 best reads. I'd be very interested to hear your views on other books and also poetry. Maybe you could find some time for these posts on those - as you wrote - uninspiring days with little news.
Last weekend I read aloud the complete Rime of the Ancient Mariner, mainly for the sake of reading it out loud.
That possibly (or even that other weird word pozeadbly) says more about me than I should reveal....
Alphie

Anonymous said...

I loved the Last Night of the Proms too. It seemed lighter and more fun filled somehow though
I was disconcerned to read that thousands of Euro flags had been handed out on behalf or the musicians.
One of the joys of the proms is that they are inclusive, not political.
That said I thought the soloists were excellent especially Jess.
Sue

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'll read The Librarian next and let you know how I get on

Midmarsh John said...

Hindemith seems an unusual choice for a Last Night. I only know, and love, one of his compositions - Mathis der Maler. If that was played them I'm sorry I missed it.

Gmail sign up said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Simone said...

I watched/listened to the Last Night of the Proms and thoroughly enjoyed it! The audience made me laugh with their bobbing up and down with the sea shanty's! Next year I am going to make sure I watch the rest of the proms in the summer too and not just on the last night! :)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks to you all for your comments.