Saturday 25 August 2018

Saturday

and the Wensleydale Show is over.    The weather has held - cold, breezy but bright sunshine all day.
Judging from the number of cars in the carpark and the long queue of traffic waiting to get in when I went out to lunch at friend W's today it will have been a very good show in terms of numbers attending ( always pleasing as the show needs the revenue in order to keep going).

It is lovely to see people arriving - in their cars, on their bicycles, on foot with their dogs (there are always a goodly number of dogs at the Show) and it really is a jolly good day out.  With my problem of mobility the walking on uneven ground and the standing about looking at things are both impossible.   But I have been many times in the past. 

So instead I was invited to lunch at friend W's as her friends (and through association now my friends too) were there.   K, N and S come up every Bank Holiday and stay and because S adores certain food the lunch is always the same and we know exactly what to expect.   And because W cooks it often she is therefore well-practised and cooks it to perfection - roast ham with chips and/or new potatoes; baby corn, mange tout, green beans, multi coloured carrots.   This is followed by sticky toffee pudding, ice cream, fresh fruit salad with giant blackberries, blue berries, raspberries and the like.  Coffee finishes the meal** and then we sit in the conservatory to relax (and some of us have a short nap (no names but my fingers are quite perky on the keyboard because of my rest!)

Now I am home.  N took Tess for a nice long walk during the afternoon which was very helpful to me as during the night when I got up to use the bathroom I somehow twisted my knee getting out of bed and today am having a job to walk.

Sunday again tomorrow.   How the weeks fly by. 
**  Forgot the obligatory chocolate cake with the
coffee - sorry S)

19 comments:

Bonnie said...

A wonderful meal and good visit with friends, what a perfect day! Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I do hope your knee is better.

Derek Faulkner said...

Similar weather here today after a very chilly start it was sunny all day but chilly in the wind, really not looking forward to cold weather at all. Wet and windy for tomorrow - gawd, where did summer go.
You really do enjoy eating don't you, it's good to see.
Can never understand why people take their dogs to such shows, I hate seeing dogs spending a couple of hours being led, sometimes dragged, through countless legs and feet and often getting stood on.

justjill said...

Hope the knee improves. A fantastic lunch!

Heather said...

So pleased the weather was kind and the Show earned it's keep. Hope your knee will soon be more comfortable. Have a nice relaxing day tomorrow. Your friend's lunch sounded more like a feast. I would definitely have needed a nap after all those delights. It's been cooler here today and I was glad of long sleeves when I went out this morning. I believe the forecast for tomorrow is not at all good.

Joanne Noragon said...

So sorry (and in sympathy with the incommode) about the twisted knee. Elevate. Ice. Take it easy. Otherwise, it sounds like a wonderful day!

donna baker said...

Now that is what I call a day out. If I ate that much I would have been waddling. What a lunch. That must have been the big meal of the day. Still warm or hot here, but I know fall is on the way. Would love it if I didn't know winter follows.

wherethejourneytakesme said...

What a pleasant day - I would have been caught napping too after that feast!

Cro Magnon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cro Magnon said...

I was expecting to hear that you and W were heading south for the Notting Hill Carnival.

Sorry about the above; I really must proof read!

Ivy said...

You know how to enjoy a meal!
I hope you knee isn't as sore as it was.
Kind regards from the French Alsace

Virginia said...

Your meal sounded lovely ... but I don't have any idea what Mange Touts are? Unless we call them by another name at the other end of the world. I'm sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you can rest it, and it comes right very soon.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Cro - we may indeed begoing to the Notting Hill do but if so we shall both be well disguised with lots of feathers and not much else - a sight to behold indeed. But shall not let on about it on my blog!

Knee a little better this morning - thanks for asking everyone.
Rain just beginning here at almost ten in the morning.
Looks as though the Pope is going to get well and truly soaked - it is pouring in Ireland.

Librarian said...

Wow, that was one sumtuous lunch! Glad you had such a great time with your friends, and Tess her long walk. I hope the knee is better today.

GillyK said...

The Show was really good. Dry underfoot despite Friday's rain. Loads of people and there seemed to be more to see and do this year. I was playing with the Band and we had really good audiences for all three sessions - despite there being no chairs for them to sit on! We played lots of old favourites and it's really lovely to see people enjoying our playing, some were dancing and others singing along. A good day.

thelma said...

See your knee is getting better - good. Enormous meals in Yorkshire, which looked delicious by the way and even multi-coloured carrots, I wonder if we will ever see the blue potatoes in the supermarket.

Sue said...

Our local show in Llanrwst was very lucky with the weather this year, a lovely sunny day and a good attendance. Yes, most of these shows are like a giant dog show aren't they, with dogs of all descriptions out with their owners and working dogs for the competitions.

There's something very soothing about knowing exactly what meal to expect when you go to a friends, and knowing it has been cooked to perfection after a few years of practice makes it even lovelier. It sounds a perfect meal and I like that you felt comfortable enough to take a little nap afterwards :-)

Tom Stephenson said...

I would have thought you would have a job to walk without twisting your knee after eating all that lot, Weave! I'm glad you have a good appetite.

Linda Metcalf said...

That meal sounds wonderful! And filling. It's nice to have friends I have found who take you out to have a meal or family who have me over to eat.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Read Gilly K above to see how the day went.