Thursday 23 August 2018

Do you remember?

Do you remember those hot, hot, hot days of Summer when it was really too hot to do anything, when all one felt like doing was eating salads for meals, lying in the chair, drinking plenty of cooling drinks and soaking up the sun/lying in the shade depending on one's point of view?

Well dear readers - they have gone and I guess never to return, at least not in 2018. Here in North Yorkshire today it is cold.   There is no other word for it.   No use beating about the bush and saying things like 'it's not too bad for the time of year' - however one looks at it it is very chilly and my hand will have to be firmly controlled this evening to avoid it altering the temperature control on my gas central heating.

Tess was suddenly ill yesterday and had me panicking and rushing off to the vets late in the afternoon. She had chronic diarrhoea and ended up by tea time passing blood.   As we are not sure whether or not she might the  have beginnings of cancer I was naturally very worried.   All seems to be well.   The vet gave her several injections and special food and said she thought Tess had eaten something while she was out on a walk somewhere.   Today everything is back to normal.
It did bring to mind something my son (who is not a dog-lover) said a while ago when he said one of  the reasons he didn't like dogs was that their owners always became obsessed with their dogs bowel movements.   I do begin to know what he means.

If you haven't already done so and if you are a fan of John (Going Gently on my side bar) then please do go to his blog.   He is doing a sponsored zip wire 'flight' for Samaritans (he is himself a volunteer for Samaritans) and is asking for sponsorship.   The response has been wonderful, but he can never have too much.

Well nobody can accuse me of not doing a varied blog today!   Weather looks set fair for our Wensleydale Show on Saturday but anyone going will probably need their Long Johns on.

17 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

Poor Tess and a worry for sure. Fingers crossed here

It's still warm and muggy down here in Suffolk, we had a shower this morning that didn't last long. I'm hoping for a cooler night tonight as last night and Tuesday were about 16C, humid and felt more.


Derek Faulkner said...

It can't really be that cold that you need the CH on Pat, surely.
I must admit that I do have to laugh seeing people who complained during the heatwave, about how hot it was, now going on about how cold it is for August.
Here on Sheppey today we had a muggy and rainy morning and now a hot and sunny afternoon.

justjill said...

Still warmish in NE Scotland, in fact thunder is rattling around. Do hope your lovely Tess is ok.

donna baker said...

I've been dealing with that with my weenies and worrying terribly. I don't have a city vet yet so I treated them myself. They seem fine but I can't control what they eat outside. Right now they have a ball searching for locusts. I kind of wish it would cool down - no more heatwaves.

Jules said...

I'm relieved Tess seems OK. Terriers are usually quite resilient.
And if you need to, alter that temperature. Don't let yourself get chilly. In Kent it is still quite mild so I think I will be in for a shock when I return home tomorrow. X

Bless said...

I'm glad that Tess seems to have recovered and is doing OK. Hope she continues to be well.

It's still quite warm here in southern California, although much cooler (highs of 87F) than it was last week (highs of 97F). I am enjoying it, as I don't tolerate the cold too well. I'd say turn on the central heating when you feel cold and set it to a temperature that feels comfortable to you. If you need to, economize elsewhere.

Toni said...

We got your missing heat. We've had so many triple digit days, I stopped counting!

Librarian said...

Hopefully, Tess will be right as rain soon again. Speaking of whivch, we have had a brief shower today during a thunderstorm - very welcome as it is still way too dry here. The evening temperature has dropped to about 23 Celsius. as opposed to the 32 or so we had earlier this week (and for most of July and August), and the forecast is for an unbelievable 17 c on the Sunday! I guess I will have tomget the woollies out...

Ivy said...

We left the Netherland today for a 14-day vacation and ended up with our caravan in the Vosges (France), in the lovely town of Keysersberg, where we had sticky weather as well as rain and thunder tonight.

I am glad Tess has recovered and that John is doing so well collecting money.

Heather said...

Poor Tess and poor you. We do worry so about our pets, don't we? Very glad it wont be hot for the Wensleydale Show. Not good for the animals, participants and public alike.
Sorry you are cold but I am loving feeling like doing something again, and my feet and legs begin to feel as if they belong to me once more.

Sandi said...

"...he said one of the reasons he didn't like dogs was that their owners always became obsessed with their dogs bowel movements."

Of all the things to be obsessed about...well, no, that is still weird!

;-)

Joanne Noragon said...

It's cold here, too, Weave, thousands of miles away!

Alphie Soup said...

Weather. The perrenial and repetitive topic. Hot in summer, cold in winter; always a certainty for filling the comment box.
Alphie

Cro Magnon said...

Still nice here. Temps in the high 20's C. Usually September is one of the better months; I'm looking forward to it.

thelma said...

Hope that it was just something that Tess ate. Lucy is a revolting canine when it comes to eating anything around and I won't go into detail! Cold winds here as well.

The Weaver of Grass said...

All seems well with Tess today thank goodness. At present she is out walking with PetPals.
I have just passed the Showground and all seems ready for the big day.

Thanks for calling in.

Janice said...

34C yesterday, 12C today and really windy and smoky. Glad to hear Tess is much better.