Wednesday 20 June 2018

Phew

I have friends coming from The Netherlands at the week -end, so my cleaning lady said she would come today and clean through for me.   That will cut down my work load I thought.   Then this afternoon it is our lovely Poetry afternoon, so I could sit in a leisurely morning and choose what I was going to read.

The best laid plans and all that.   Hot on the heels of my cleaning lady came the plumber to fix me an outside tap from the bathroom so that I can water my garden without carrying canfuls of water.   This meant the bathroom was not only out of commission for her to clean but would also be very messy when the plumber had gone.

Too right!   I have just spent an hour and a half cleaning the bathroom (it would have taken her a quarter of an hour at the most, but then she doesn't have difficulty getting down to the floor and even more difficulty getting up again.)

Anyway, the job is done, the rest of the house is clean and tidy and I have just caught up with the bathroom, so all is more or less back to normal.

During the course of the morning I have done bits of jobs.   But this morning has reinforced for me just what opportunists our canine friends are.   One of the cupboards in my kitchen is the dog cupboard.   In it I keep dog tins, poo bags, dry food and (most importantly) 'treat' biscuits in a polythene bag.   The cupboard also houses the stop cock.

I suddenly realised that Tess was missing.   Fearing she had got out as all the doors were open for the plumber I walked around the house looking for her.   I found her IN the dog cupboard calmly eating her treat biscuits from the bag!!   If only I had thought to take a photograph before shooing her out.

25 comments:

DUTA said...

"Man plans and God laughs" - as the saying goes.

Bovey Belle said...

Tess (all dogs!) has an eye to the main chance by the sound of things! I bet she thought she was on cloud 9 till you found her.

At least your plumbing work is done now, but rotten timing he couldn't have arrived well ahead of your cleaner!

Enjoy poetry. My darling man bought me a big poetry book from a charity shop this morning so I am off down to enjoy that now.

Rachel Phillips said...

Tess is all about.

Derek Faulkner said...

I once had a terrier that found a box of Quality Street chocolates while we were out and ate the whole lot! If nothing else it debunked the theory that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, either that or my dog was lucky.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

After so much disruption from cleaners and plumbers Tess probably felt she deserved a treat!

Heather said...

Sometimes it isn't worth making plans! I had to chuckle at naughty Tess tucking into the treats bag. Glad you managed to tidy up after the plumber and hope you enjoyed your poetry afternoon.

Ruth said...

Oh Tess - you are so clever!!

This reminded me of Robert Burns: The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
Gang aft agley...

Seems your day turned out well anyway, Pat. Thanks for the chuckle!

Librarian said...

That photo of Tess in the cupboard would have been priceless!
Maybe your cleaner could have come back later in the day to do the bathroom for you? But you seem to have managed well, even though it took you a long time. I hope your poetry afternoon was as lovely as always!

Sue in Suffolk said...

I have plumbers here next week and will probably feel like climbing into a cupboard too!

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Good girl Tess! I would love to have seen her face when you opened the cupboard door. That photograph would have been priceless.

Jinksy said...

That's a good variation on TV warnings to 'Keep washing liquid tablets out of the reach of children!'♥

Gwil W said...

I'm often asked if I'm from Holland. I can't think why. I don't even smoke pot.

Gwil W said...

And I don't even ride a bicycle any more.

The Weaver of Grass said...

DUTA I didn't know that saying.

Bea said...

Tess knows how to enjoy life! :D

angryparsnip said...

Love the Tess.
Mine know where their food, treats are and the sound of plastic bag being open.

cheers, parsnip

Jules said...

I guess she has her appetite back. Good for Tess. I would love to have seen her face when she was discovered. X

Sue said...

Ha-ha, that was funny about Tess in the dog cupboard eating her treats.

Bonnie said...

Tess is a smart dog! I hope she doesn't have a tummy ache later. I hope you enjoyed your poetry group.

DUTA said...

'Man plans and God laughs' is actually a translation from Yeddish language "Mann tracht und Gott lacht". (Sometimes the word Mann gets replaced by 'der Mentsch'). It means that despite our careful planning, thingsa in life are unpredictable.
I think the english version is "Man proposes and God disposes."

Virginia said...

"But Mum, I heard you say 'Go for it Tess'" ... innocent doggy eyes and head tilted to the side... "You can't be cross with me."

Joanne Noragon said...

Good job, Tess. You may never find that door open again.

Anonymous said...

Great challenge to clean the whole house. Luckily you have a helper to help you in this...

the veg artist said...

Did she look guilty? My little cat has a 'Butter wouldn't melt in my mouth, Mum' look when she's caught doing something she shouldn't!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.