Wednesday 28 March 2018

Wednesday

A very pleasant day today.   Friend M came to lunch - I made the soup (Nigella's recipe for vegetable ((yes, I know you can just bung everything in for veggie soup.  But just for once I thought I would follow a recipe and it was good.))

M brought the sandwiches.   She brought two large white baps, each large enough to be cut in half so that we could share what was in them.   The fillings were delicious.   One was one I often do - tuna, mayo, lettuce and celery.   But the other was even more delicious - ham,cheese, lettuce and mango - absolutely scrummy.   I shall certainly add that to my list of good sandwich fillings.

Then this afternoon we had Poetry - our monthly meeting at W's and as always a joy.   Such a good selection on choices, all beautifully read and all enjoyed.

Tess had her jolly afternoon with friend S - a nice long walk with a call in for an afternoon play with a friend of S's dog.   Then later another walk with T to the top of the field, where he said she had her whole head down a rabbit hole for three minutes, completely still.   I guess there were babies down there and she could smell them.   So all in all a delightful afternoon was had by us both.

I am desperate for my gardener to get on in the garden but the weather is against him - cold and wet and no sign of it letting up anytime soon - typical British Easter I guess.

18 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Tess was lucky to get her walk. I went out at 5.30 this morning with little Ellie in order to give her a run on the reserve and beat the rain that started at 7.00.

Bovey Belle said...

I've just looked up the soup recipe, and got led on to all sorts of other delights! Glad you had such a pleasant day, and I too like the sound of that ham/cheese/lettuce/mango sandwich filling. Certainly different! I had a spicy prawn toasty with lime mayo for my lunch out today, and on the way back home, we stopped at Waitrose in Abergavenny and I got some reduced sarnies for my "tea" - chicken, tomato and rocket.

Tess sounds like she had a belter of a day too!

justjill said...

Sounds like a lovely day for both of you.

Rachel Phillips said...

My philosophy teacher today said it important to read poetry, and everybody should do so, to extend understanding of language and how language works.

angryparsnip said...

What lovely day for you and Tess.
The lunch sounds wonderful along with your poetry group.

cheers, parsnip

Bonnie said...

I love poetry but it seems like not as many people like it any longer. Your group sounds very nice. I am so glad both you and Tess had such a good day!

Heather said...

I am guilty of producing meals, when cooking for just myself, by bunging things in and for the most part they taste good enough, but doing things properly does make a difference.
I hope the weather soon improves for you and your gardener, so that things can move on apace.

John Going Gently said...

Your simple delight in lunch made me smile

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Both sandwich choices sound very good! I would never think to use mango. -Jenn

Chris said...

Ooh! Gotta try the ham etc. sandwich. It does sound delicious!

thelma said...

Those baps reminded me of the large stotties from Bothams of Whitby ;) the fillings sound delicious, there is a movement to fill sandwiches with as much as you can get in, trouble is they 'leak'.....

Alphie Soup said...

Loved the story about Tess with her head down the rabbit hole for 3 minutes...
And I'd always be happy to hear a little more about your poetry afternoons, Weaver Pat.

Alphie

Anonymous said...

Loving the mental image of Tess with her head stuck down the bunny hole. Pop disappears down them entirely!

Jennifer said...

Tess is so cute!

Minigranny said...

I can't imagine life without poetry!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Regarding sandwiches, I have resolved to keep a tin of mango in my store cupboard in future, so that I can twin it with ham in a sandwich - trust me it is delicious.

As to poetry - I was brought up on it - my father read it aloud to us and I loved it - and still do.

Doc said...

Terriers are such game little dogs.

Rachel Phillips said...

Me too with poetry Weave.