Sunday 4 March 2018

Sunday

Only two of us for Sunday lunch today - roast pork for W and salmon goujons for me.  The temperature is +2, although it went down to freezing as we climbed the hill on the way to lunch.   It is a relief to see that the snow is finally on its way.

Two enterprising children came this morning and cleared my drive for me, so that by the time I returned from lunch it was absolutely clear as the bits they left had melted.   All the long icicles along my guttering were dripping like mad.   How good it is to see that the Beast has worn itself out. 

Already I am beginning to think again about my back garden and what I intend to put in it.   The lady who  lived here before was not a gardener so I am left more or less with a blank canvas (other than the dreaded Marestail, which I am going to have to learn to live with.)   My first job is to get my gardener to take out two or three old shrubs, dig the smallish border over and then plant it with herbaceous plants.   I already have in mind one or two perennial geraniums, some hellebores, some irises and spaces for annuals.   Summer bulbs may well feature too and winter flowering heathers.   The space I  have is large enough to make a nice bed but small enough to be kept under control.

Above it is a rockery which has no plants in it at all so I shall buy a dozen or so rock plants and see what happens when they are put in and start to grow.   All quite exciting really.   The other side is the bit with the marestail- for the time being that lies dormant. 

As I write and look out of the window, the white snow has turned a dirty grey colour and is shrinking before my eyes.   The sky is a darker grey colour and it is very misty.   Somebody in the South of the country (think it was either Derek or Rachel) speaks of sunshine today.   I would give anything to see the sun.  It has been absent for many days.

21 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

My sunshine in the east stayed until lunch time and then it went away. It is now grey and raining, and washing away the snow. Thank goodness. Your garden plans sound just right.

Derek Faulkner said...

No sunshine here today Pat and we are into our 4th hour of steady, moderate rain, which as well as pretty much removing any last bits of snow, is now renderering everywhere as water-logged.

Minigranny said...

Glad that you had some enterprising youngsters to clear your snow. Ours is going quickly and tulips that I thought The Beast had killed are poking their heads up again.

Librarian said...

Both yesterday and today were beautiful, sunny and mild here, after weeks of very cold and grey weather. So welcome! I finally went out for a run again, for the first time since January 13th.
I was in touch with my sister-in-law this afternoon. Her husband is a dairy farmer near Ripon, and he says that the longterm weather forecast is for more cold and sleet/snow all of this month in Yorkshire... I hope the weather people are not right.

jinxxxygirl said...

Pat can you put some black plastic over the Marestail while it is dormant... We do that here with weeds and the sun literally cooks and kills the weeds.. Take the plastic off scratch around in the dirt .. water it ... let the remaining seeds germinate then cover with the plastic again.. wait... and then repeat.. May take a little while but that may take care of it without chemicals...... Hugs! deb

Jennyff said...

The beast has barely departed and you are thinking of your garden, very positive. The thaw seems to be setting in here though we had more snow overnight, just as well as I need to walk down the hill to the hairdresser in the morning. Keep warm

crafty cat corner said...

It's good to look forward to the Spring and planting again isn't it?
Glad you have settled in to your new home.
Briony
x














Bea said...

I do love iris. May your garden shape up nicely.

Penhill said...

Could you plant a small herb garden in the most accessible part of your garden.Thyme,tarragon, mint, etc they would be a nice addition to meals when you were not eating out.

Joanne Noragon said...

The sun is shining for the second day. Glorious sun. I am so happy for your garden, too.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

We had beautiful sunshine in Essex until 11:30 then the clouds arrived, by 2 it was raining quite heavily. Thawing but still lots of snow on road verges and it's a barmy 7 degrees!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Slightly drizzly but thankfully a lot warmer - it was still snowing last night, which was crazy. I'm glad to be not freezing and have hopefully safer bike rides to work

Rosie said...

Summer bulbs are a good idea I think nerines and autumn crocus are lovely as they flower when there is not much else flowering!

kt said...

What fun to be planning a garden "from scratch"! I'm sure it will be lovely this summer. Pics please!

angryparsnip said...

So exciting to be planing the garden. So much to look forward to.

cheers, parsnip

thelma said...

Isn't this grey, drizzly, foggy weather horrible, the only thing it has going for it is its warmer!

Heather said...

What a perfect time of year to be planning the planting for your garden. Looking forward to seeing pictures of how it all takes shape.
We are back to normal down here, though I daresay some higher areas still have snow lying about. The sun is shining too, but only intermintently as there are plenty of clouds. I'm looking forward to going shopping as I haven't dared go out for a week!

Derek Faulkner said...

Here on Sheppey, with virtually all the snow gone, we're now at the wet and mucky stage. Everything seems to be wet or damp and driving across the marsh this morning the fields all look water-logged and the livestock wet and muddy.

Barbara said...

I'm so glad to hear that the Beast is relinquishing its grip on your area and that you came through unscathed. (it isn't often YOUR weather makes OUR news, so I was concerned for you)
Your plans for your garden sound lovely. There is nothing more exciting that the blank canvas stage of planning a garden...except perhaps when those first green sprouts start showing themselves. I hope you'll share pics!

Anonymous said...

Lithodora for your rockery? Hairy Footed flower bees love them.

Elizabeth said...

What fun planning gardens is!
Please have a some wallflowers for me - we have so few here!