Friday 2 March 2018

Friday

A little better in terms of the weather today in that the wind, although cold, is not quite as bad as it was yesterday.   Obviously freezing rain has fallen at some time and the paths in my front garden are very slippery.   But the paths in our little town have been well treated, I presume with rock salt, and they are clear and so easy to negotiate.   I am very wary of taking my car out because it has not been out this week and my drive is on quite a steep slope.   I am afraid that if I began to go down the slope I would be unable to brake at the bottom as the snow on my drive is still quite deep.

Friend W has a four by four and is intrepid in the snow so we did manage to go the mile or so into town this morning to stock up on supplies.   There didn't seem to be any panic buying at all - the good old Yorkshire stoicism has kicked in I think.
We went after our shopping (and our usual morning coffee) and had fish a chips in a cafe - that gave us our treat for the day and when I got home Tess was in her crate.   She had been for her Pet Pals walk,so she really has done very well for walks this week. 

When I got home it was to find footprints in the snow all around my bungalow.   My son had rung to see how I was managing in the snow and getting no reply was worried about me and had come round  to see if I was alright.   (I had already gone into town) - of course his footprints gave the game away where he had peered into every window.

Listening to the News it seems that some of the roads where there were huge tail backs have now been cleared - let's just hope that this wind calms down and stops pushing the snow into such enormous drifts across the major roads.   If it doesn't soon improve I shall be forced to go out and build a snowman in my back garden!

18 comments:

Librarian said...

You could build a snowman anyway, and post a picture of him here! I would love that. He could also have a snow dog, modelled after Tess.
It was slightly warmer here today than the days before, but still cold enough for me to want a mug of hot broth after I came home from work and the 20 minute walk from the office.

angryparsnip said...

I hope your snowman becomes a snow TESS !
I made one snowscotty for the boys and they loved it !

cheers, parsnip

Derek Faulkner said...

The freezing rain here has been a real nightmare. The strong wind blew it against house windows where it froze immediately giving a frosted glass effect. It froze solid on my car windscreen until the car warmed up and paths and roads turned like skating rinks - and all literally within minutes of the rain starting. Since then, this evening, it has snowed again.
However, the temperature by Sunday is forecast to be 8 degrees, we might all be out in our shorts like Rachel.

Anonymous said...

Still no snow here in South West peninsula of Scotland - but we have other problems with the high winds and now no diesel available because the tankers have not been able to get through. Tesco had not had a delivery for 3 days and it looked like Mother Hubbards cupboard! We are still unable to get home to Yorkshire though as the M62 still closed.
I should keep your car at home during this cold spell - sounds a bit risky still!

Rachel Phillips said...

It has now been snowing again for an hour and a half. It is bitterly cold and windy still. Your son should have asked one of us where you were, we would soon have told him, "oh it's Friday, she'll be out with her mates"!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

It would seem that you have our usual Ontario weather, whereas we now have a mild spring - like trend happening. I hope things calm down for you, but if you should end up making that snowman, please take a photo and post it! -Jenn

justjill said...

North East Scotland still foul. Snow on and off all day. Winds still howling and temperatures below freezing. Stir crazy.

Derek Faulkner said...

In respect of your son wondering where you were, do you not carry a mobile phone that he can call.

jinxxxygirl said...

Hi Pat!

Just to let you know i sent you an email explaining a little about caulking and mudding.. Stay warm.. and it might do good to go out and start your car and let it run a couple minutes if it sits in the cold very long without starting... Hugs! deb

Joanne Noragon said...

Will this winter never end?

Mac n' Janet said...

Hope your weather clears before too long and makes life a bit easier.

John Going Gently said...

It will get better x

Bea said...

It'd be an easy job sleuthing what with all the snow on the ground. ;)

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

The Beast seems to be running out of puff, no wind this morning and warmer temperatures forecast. I'm ready for some spring weather.

Heather said...

Still very cold down here and side roads are not too good. I don't think they have been treated which has meant peace and quiet from traffic noise! I stocked up before the paths became dangerous and should be OK till early next week, when I hope things will have improved. Stay safe and warm.

Derek Faulkner said...

+4 here on Sheppey 'smorning and snow thawing fast. Lots of water running down the roads.

Lettice said...

What a super son, worrying about his mum. Sounds like a wodge of snow isn’t going to stop the intrepid Weaver of Grass.

LX

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh yes Derek - I carry a mobile - but don't always hear it when it rings although I wear a hearing aid!
Lovely that it is getting warmer. Only +1 or 2 here but the icicles are melting.