Friday 26 January 2018

Out to lunch

Well nothing new there I hear you say.   No,you are quite right but it was an interesting morning.   Our usual coffee place is closed this week for refurbishment and so we went instead to Tennants, Auctioneers and Valuers who have both a cafe and a restaurant.   

On the way in we noticed that the Restaurant had special 'Winter Warmers' on offer with a free glass of house wine.   So even before we had our coffee we booked a table for two (friend W and I).

Sitting with about eight other friends in the cafe having coffee I found the large television on the wall absolutely mesmerising.   There was a sale on in the Auction Rooms and the lots were being displayed on the television screen with the prices being offered on each lot totting up in the left hand corner so that you could see how much each lot went for.   Fascinating.   There was lots of beautiful jewelry and it was really interesting to see how much each lot fetched.

Then it was in to lunch, joined at the last minute by friend M.   And what a delicious lunch it was.   Probably the best fish pie I have ever had - individual pies with just white fish and prawns in a rich sauce and with leeks and then smooth mash on the top.   I couldn't fault it and it was served with finely shredded cabbage mixed with green beans - that was delicious too, as was the rose wine.  And all for a special price and served by delightfully pleasant staff - coats taken by the maitre d' - hot bread rolls with olive oil and/or butter to begin with - water with ice and lemon on the table without asking.   All this on offer until the end of February - we shall be going again.

Tess was out with her petpals Rio and Cosmo when I got home so it was turn up the central heating again and sit and read The Times until four when the Chiropodist is due to call.   And not before time say my feet. 

Did anyone see, or hear, Tessa Jowell yesterday in Parliament speaking about her fight with brain cancer.  Her speech brought tears to me as that is the cancer that killed the farmer (Glioblastoma).   It is a cruel disease.   She is a courageous woman and quite rightly received a standing ovation for her speech.

15 comments:

donna baker said...

"Live well the days," reminds me of you Weaver. You certainly do that. Enjoy them to the fullest. Spring is around the corner.

Heather said...

Your new lunch venue sounds fascinating as well as a good place to find delicious food.
I have just learned that the manager of our flats has been diagnosed with cancer of the colon. She will have to have surgery and chemotherapy but is hoping to return to work. Yet another brave woman trying to be positive in the face of such a cruel blow.

Gwil W said...

You're blossoming.

justjill said...

I should get out more. Sounds really lovely.

DUTA said...

Change of scenery is a must. The "usual" cafe, shop, restauranr - has its shortcomings.

Elizabeth said...

Mouthwatering lunch with attentive service and fascinating entertainment - I wish I was there!

Joanne Noragon said...

Your description of the restaurant makes me want to be there.
Glioblastoma indeed is evil, and I hope it's end comes soon.

Rachel Phillips said...

Tessa Jowell lived. She is one of the lucky ones.

Rachel Phillips said...

And yes, I did see her.

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed your lunch. Yes I saw Tessa Jowell. What an amazing woman:)

Penhill said...

Brain tumours are horrid,they affect children let alone people who have led full and active lives,let us hope a spotlight has been shown to direct more research into their causes and cures.
On a happier note you seem to be enjoying your life in your new bungalow,long may it continue.

Mac n' Janet said...

Routines are good, having people to share them with is even better. Cancer in all its forms is just so evil.

thelma said...

I think Tessa Jowell is a very brave woman, and also so gentle, brain cancer is terrible. Well talking of auctioneers, we will come up one day, but I have the listings of the Scarborough one, And talking of restaurants, The Magpie has opened once according to our friends, in exactly the same style as before the fire, even down to the exact same placemats.

Anonymous said...

I didn’t hear the speech but read about it. A very brave woman and good on her for having the strength and courage to talk about her experience.

I must say your lunch sounds delicious. I love auction houses, but I have to be very careful not to bid on anything from excitement!

Love that Tess was out with her friends when you got back. I imagined her arriving home later breathless with excitement telling you all about it!

Shawn said...

Your coffee mornings sound absolutely delightful!