Monday 15 January 2018

Filling time

There is a very fine line between filling one's time pleasantly when one is retired (I mean old   really) and overdoing it.   I cross that line several times each week at present and seem to be chasing my tail.   What is the answer?   I don't wish to be sitting here on my own twiddling my thumbs or knitting jumpers for my great grandchildren all day, I wish to be out amongst people, chatting, learning, having fun.    But just sometimes it all gets just a bit too much.

Today has rather been a case in point.    The lady who cleans for me comes each Monday morning at 9am.    I was late up and usually she takes Tess for her morning walk for me.   But when she came this morning it was absolutely sheeting down with rain.

So when she had gone I had to walk Tess for a quarter of an hour.   Then I had to go into town to fulfil a long list of things on my list.   Things like banking, shopping for food, all mundane but necessary jobs.   By this time it was mid-day and I  was due to be collected by friend W to go and play ukuleles at half past one.   So I slipped into my favourite cafe and treated myself to their scampi, chips and peas. (delicious).

Then it was home to take Tess for her midday walk (remember my ankles are bad and in wet weather particularly bad, so I only walk slowly and with a stick).   Then I had a long phone call and while I was on the phone friend W called to take me to ukuleles.    What followed was a very enjoyable hour - about ten of us (one new member) playing stuff we like playing, having a
laugh - a perfect hour.   Then it was home again and take Tess for another walk.   Then feed her and get my tea and finally sit down just in time for  Antiques Road Trip after I had gone next door to collect a parcel that the delivery man had left there.

It is now 7.30-   I shall watch University Challenge at 8.30 and possibly Silent Witness for an hour if I can keep awake that long.   Rather less busy tomorrow thank goodness.   But I do wonder which is better - flying about chasing one's tail or sitting about doing little or nothing.   Getting old is no joke  but the alternative's worse!

33 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

Flying about being busy - definitely.

Watch out for the windy weather in the next couple of days - Take Care

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Yep, take care - wind is starting to get up a bit here!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

What can I say? I've achieved precisely nothing today. You put me to shame. :(

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

Being busy, although my recent flu did make me take it easy and I have enjoyed that too.

justjill said...

The plus on being retired/old is you get to choose. So if you want to relax and do nowt you can. Other than walk the dog of course!

Acornmoon said...

It sounds like you have had a very busy and productive day. I am enjoying catching up with your news and glad to hear you decided to keep Tess with you.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'd be in bed after Antiques.

Chris said...

I have busy days and then I have days when I do barely anything. Especially now when the weather is so dire there are days when I don't put my nose out of doors! I guess the answer is to strike a happy medium.

Hilary said...

I've had two daughters and three grands here all day......the youngest are 4 and 11 months. So to be sure, I
am exhausted......but I love it, so I do it.....tomorrow I won't do so much.....I think the trick is to balance it out. Do when you can, rest when you have to.
But don't stop, stay active as long as you are able.

the veg artist said...

I've had a bad day today, and done practically nothing. Even on a good day I have to be careful to not overdo it. Learning to judge and then live within one's capabilities is hard, and deeply frustrating. I'd say do it when you can, though.

Mac n' Janet said...

When we get older everything we do is more tiring, that's just the way it is. Be careful on those slick walks.

Polly said...

A friend and I were talking about time and activity recently, and both agreed that we enjoy occasional quiet days but prefer to be busy, but it’s frustrating not having the energy to do as much as we used to. Having just read your previous post, I don’t iron many things, only cotton and linen items. I put some of my clothes on hangers straight from the machine.

yellowtulip118@gmail.com said...

I think it's about balance, following a very busy day with a more relaxing one, that's if you can of course.

RITA LOEHR said...

I keep my 2 grandsons, 3 1/2 and 5, while Mom and Dad work. They keep me busy and very active. Glad to see them go home on Friday and by Saturday afternoon miss them and the chaos they bring with them. In March will start keeping their cousin, my newest grandson, that will up my game! Do like to keep them, but would be nice to pick and choose if there is a day I feel tired. Such is life though and I feel better being busy. Always enjoy reading about your day and adventures!

Alphie Soup said...

Playing the ukulele with a bunch of like minded people and eating out don't fit into the category of 'chasing your tail' in my book - more like out having a good time. Though I have to say there are days when I think it is good not to have to go out and do things and I can relax and maybe do a few of the bits at home which are shouting for attention.

Alphie

Red said...

Keep moving. Sit down and you'll soon be not enjoying ukuleles.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Better busy than sitting.

thelma said...

Have a rest day in between the busy days and enjoy both.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Busy is best, I think. And an hour or two of ukuleles sounds pretty wonderful.
xx

Librarian said...

I think you need both. The busy days are the ones that leave you with the satisfied feeling of having done lots. The less busy days mean a rest, both physically and mentally.

Heather said...

I find it's a case of juggling everything and we have to find a happy medium somehow. I think (I hope!) I have learned to pace myself but I still have days that exhaust me. Keeping busy is good, but enjoying quiet times is good too. I definitely need to recharge my batteries from time to time.
Your day sounded very tiring and I admire your energy. Keep up the good work.

Sue said...

Tess is certainly keeping you active. Just go carefully, at your own pace. Keeping busy is good, you put me to shame.

Tom Stephenson said...

I wish I had your energy, Weave! Stiil, I suppose you have to burn off the Scampi chips and peas somehow...

Peter said...

Keep on keeping on. I worry that once I start sitting I won't get up again and sit the rest of my life away.
Go girl!
Cheers Peter

Elizabeth said...

Being busy is better!
Wish I could hear you playing the ukulele!

Devon said...

Having lots of daily encounters with others I think is the key to happiness at any age. It sounds as though today were just a bit more packed in than usual!

Minigranny said...

You certainly put me to shame! That does sound like a very busy day especially in January when a lot of us feel like hibernating!

Beryl Ament said...

I think the key is knowing you have a choice. I am more than happy to be on my own (apart from my husband, but that’s a different conversation!) when I know I could go out, and happy to get tired in the company of others knowing I can rest for a few days afterwards.

Theresa Y said...

A bit of both I would say makes for a perfect balance in life. Sounds like you and Tess have that.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Much quieter day today and feel refreshed after it. Thanks for the comments - seems you mostly agree with keeping going.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I had my "Social Week" last week. Girl's Wine Club, Book Club, Women's Circle, overnight company. Exhausted me. This week I'm a hermit again. Resting up for next encounter with people. The quiet is welcome. For a little while.

Rachel Phillips said...

Exhausted reading this Weave.

Anonymous said...

"Getting old is no joke but the alternative's worse!" So true. Keep on enjoying your life but not too hard.