Saturday 13 January 2018

Blank screens

Sitting before a blank screen on a dismal afternoon is not very inspiring ergo I am feeling most uninspired.   The weather is bitterly cold here today as a sharp breeze has got up and the sky has been consistenly grey all day.   In other words, the second Saturday in  January has got very little going for it.

Jenny Joseph (When I am old I shall wear purple and a red hat that doesn't go) has died this week at the age of eighty five.    Most people loved that poem and it was an inspiration to a lot of elderly people I think.    I don't think I have quite reached that stage yet but I always bear it in mind for when I do.

I went into town to complete one or two jobs this morning and walking past our favourite Friday haunt decided to go in and treat myself to a toased teacake and a cafatiere of Columbian coffee (with hot milk).   The cafe was almost empty, in fact the town was too, like a ghost town on a dismal Saturday morning.   As I sat drinking my coffee and reading my Guardian I smiled to myself and imagined my dear farmer looking down on me.   He would have  thought spending money on coffee and a teacake when I only live half a mile away would have been a gross waste of money.   (He wasn't a Yorkshire man for nothing you know).   But I raised my cup to him nevertheless because he never begrudged me doing just that as long as I didn't ask him to join me (or expect him to pay for it!)

24 comments:

justjill said...

My favourite poem, well there are others, but not that raise a smile. As your post did, they just do not do toasted teacake in Scotland like in Yorkshire. I had to Google your description of my 'art' never too old to learn, thankyou for that.

Just Because said...

There is a lot to be said for taking good care of yourself! The Farmer would have agreed, I'm sure!

Ruth said...

I think the farmer was smiling down and happy to see you enjoying your cuppa and teacake!!

busybusybeejay said...

I am sure the Farmer would be looking down on you and saying "good on you,life goes on."

Terra said...

I am sure the Farmer is smiling down and happy as you enjoy a moment.

Joanne Noragon said...

Then here's a cup on high to the Farmer. "So fill to me the parting glass. Good night, and joy be with you all."

Sue in Suffolk said...

Toasted teacakes are much better eaten out than at home, I'm sure. Very tasty.

Gwil W said...

We are lucky that we gave roast chestnut sellers with braziers standing on many corners every winter. In GB I used to be a winter glutton for crumpets smothered with melted cheese and brown sauce. Not much of a tea cake man, I'm afraid. But many people enjoy them!

DUTA said...

There are people who have money but not the mentality that usually goes with it; they won't eat out, won't employ strangers to clean and do the shopping.
Sometimes, children interfere , worried about the inheritance.

Gail, northern California said...

Living alone it's wise to get out and about with people whenever you can. Do it as long as you can.

Rachel Phillips said...

Very cold here. Looks like winter is back again. Like DUTA, I agree with her comment.

crafty cat corner said...

I really love that poem and aspire to do what I want and wear what I like just as the poem says.
As for coffee and a bun, its one thing that gives me a lot of pleasure and makes me feel relaxed.
Briony
x

Bovey Belle said...

I'm sure the farmer wouldn't have grudged you a little treat to cheer and warm you up - especially as he wasn't paying!

It's nice to have a change from our own four walls anyway, and you had to go into town anyway.

Keep warm. BTW, the number of times I have gone out in the past couple of years and realize I have purple and red on (jackets/jeans/shoes or whatever) - but I am past caring!

angryparsnip said...

Oh such a day when out and about it is nice to stop for a coffee and toasted teacake.
Woofs to Tess.

cheers, parsnip and mandibles

Sue said...

Farmer was a proper Yorkshireman.

Mac n' Janet said...

I've always liked that poem, wore purple when I was young, not so o much now that I'm older. I'll bet the farmer would smile that you're pampering yourself a bit.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

It's been freezing and dull here as well! 5 days straight now

John Going Gently said...

I hate purple and never wear it ever

Librarian said...

Such little treats for ourselves can really make a difference, especially on such a dismal day.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for all your comments - loved them.
John - go on, be a devil, try purple, you might get to like it. I love it - and it does go beautifully with grey hair.
Gwil - I adore toasted crumpets with lots of butter and even cheese, but not sure about the brown sauce.

Heather said...

I loved that poem but don't see myself wearing purple with red, though I do wear purple sometimes. Pleased that you indulged yourself a little with a coffee and toasted teacake - 'a little of what you fancy .......' Hope the weather cheers up a bit. It is much the same down here though probably not as cold.

Minigranny said...

There's nothing better on a cold, bleak January day than a cuppa and toasted teacake !

Jennyff said...

I love that poem as much as I love purple. And I love that you went out for coffee and teacakes when you were almost within spitting distance of your own kitchen, almost. There should be a poem about that too.

Jayview said...

I love it when I sometimes see in inner Melbourne a whole group of older women wearing purple and with red hats, on an outing of some kind. The Grandmothers against detention (our terrible camps on Manus and Nauru for asylum seekers) also wear purple. I suspect that has been a very influential poem. Jean