Wednesday 13 September 2017

Weather

No time to put a post on yesterday as I was busy all day, but here I am bright and early this morning and the sun is blazing through the window.   It is only when I step outside the door I realise that the weather is pretty cold and decision time has arrived.   I shall go upstairs, have a shower and then break open the box on the bedroom floor which is marked 'winter jumpers' and start wearing them!   Unless there is a sudden drastic change for the better I think that - for me at any rate - T shirt time is over.

Very strong gales were forecast.   Admittedly I never sleep in my hearing aid so if there was a huge gale I wouldn't have heard it and although it was raining when I went to bed I wasn't conscious of it raining through the night.   This morning most of the gale has blown itself out and the sun is shining but on Breakfast Television Local News it said that the road was flooded through Wensleydale - this only happens when there is a lot of rain and a strong West wind together.   Luckily I have no intention of going that way today. 

A day at home today so now it is time to take Tess for her morning walk and then we will go into town to get petrol and a newspaper.   This afternoon is packing time again.

15 comments:

Tom Stephenson said...

T-shirt time was over for me when I hit 40. Time to pull out the cardigans...

Elizabeth said...

Yes, suddenly it's brisk and no longer swimming weather.
Always changes around Claudia's birthday - September 10th.
You are right - time to re-organize the clothing!

Derek Faulkner said...

Gales to severe gales here in Sheppey overnight, quite noisy at times. Blue skies and sunshine here at almost noon but still very windy and blustery. Haven't reached the winter woollies stage yet although it is cooler at night.

Jules said...

The weather has definitely turned now. The rain and wind are making it feel much cooler. Get your Winter woollies on. X

Penhill said...

Apparently this day last year was the hottest day of 2016 about 30c!

Louise Stopford said...

Sometimes September can be a really lovely month (an Indian Summer). So far this month it has been awful. We have had so much rain and have had very strong winds over night (which always worries me in case of any damage to my house). A couple of years ago we had a red alert for wind and it was so strong it brought my garage down, which is why I am paranoid about damage. I too am going to dig out the woollies, so chilly first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

jinxxxygirl said...

We have had a lovely late August and introduction to September... Really Fall-like here in Arkansas...nothing bitter or cold just cool and lovely... the kind of weather that really makes you want to be outside...with the warm sun on your back...Unlike alot of the country (Florida and Texas) we could use some rain.. it has been dry now for several weeks.. I hope you've had a good day at home packing Pat.. Hugs! deb

Bovey Belle said...

I took my plastic greenhouse down yesterday, because of the threatened gale, but just heard the wind get up a bit around 1 a.m. but nothing untoward. It was a job that needed doing anyway.

I agree, it's winter woollies rather than t-shirt weather now although when the sun decides to come out it is still quite warm.

I hope your move now goes on so you are tucked up in your new bungalow before the weather decides to take a turn for the worse.

Heather said...

I was glad to wear long sleeves and a jacket when I went to the shops this morning and am about to go from summer 'uniform' into autumn/winter!
I think my flat must be tucked a little out of the way of the full force of the wind as I wasn't as aware of it last night as other members of the family were. There were plenty of small branches and large twigs lying around this morning.
I am still finding things to get rid of and am rearranging things that have been unpacked and put in the wrong place.

Midmarsh John said...

Plenty of warm Sunshine but, as you say, the wind had a definite cold edge to it. No shorts for me today.

Gabrielle Howard Gengler said...

Weave, our nights are getting into the 50 degree Celsius. Our days mostly reach 80* The skies are a vivid blue in September. We have an Amish settlement in Versailles, Missouri about 1 hour from Jefferson City, Missouri. Beautiful farming community and they sell their wares have a lovely restaurant you can eat their home cooking . My friend Susan and I are looking forward to taking the drive very soon. Hope the weather gets a little better for you . 🍂🍁🦉

Anonymous said...

I've got my winter woollies out too.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. I think it is the sudden change to cold weather which has taken us all by surprise.

Minigranny said...

It feels really like Autumn here today. We are going to our little house in Crete soon and I'm looking forward to some warm sun to make my arthritis feel better!

UplayOnline said...

I hope you've had a good day at home packing Pat.. Hugs! deb


แตกใน xxx