Wednesday 16 December 2015

Wednesday

Back to normal today as our visitors make their way back through the Dale and over to the Lakes, where they live.   All our fog has gone and today has been very mild and sunny.   Seeing the sun again after a long time without it has been a joy.   We went over to the village of Ravensworth to buy our Christmas plants - this has become a tradition and this year the farmer drove me there.   Everywhere is so wet that he can't get on to the fields to do any work, so I think he felt like a drive out.

I bought a lovely poinsettia and two cyclamen plants (as I always do), a basket of plants as a present for a friend and a holly wreath for the grave of my first husband.   On the way we had to go through the town of Richmond - so I took a photograph from the moving car of Richmond castle as we passed it.   Not a very good photograph I am afraid.   Just before reaching the Nurseries we drove through the village of Ravensworth (where Sir Ian Botham lives) and I took a photograph there too.   It is a pretty village with a very big village green on both sides of the road.

This afternoon saw me completing a whole lot of jobs on my list of 'jobs to do before Christmas', travelling into town, going to the bank, going to the churchyard with the wreath, visiting my friend with her plant present and taking our sitting room clock to the clock repairer.  

The farmer and I always have our tea on trays and watch Pointless on the television.   Today the farmer watched it - I slept through the whole performance and only awoke when the news came on!!

20 comments:

donna baker said...

Well that is what happens when we do so many things. It all did sound fun though. So glad the sun came out for you. It is sunny here today though cold, but I'm not complaining. Just need the sun. And, you are farther along than I, so a pat on the back for you.

John Going Gently said...

Bet you had a sneaky sherry in the mid afternoon x

Dawn said...

After another downpour during the night today has been mild and damp as we are sitting in a cloud, I think I have forgotten what the sun looks like, its too wet to do anything outside I might take a trip into town later in the week havent been for ages, my list for today is full of ticks at this rate I wont have anything on the list next week :-)

Gerry Snape said...

I find that certain accents make me sleepy...it's when you want to watch and then you just have to give in!!...did you have that sneaky sherry!!!!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Funny but Alexander Armstrong often has that effect on me too! Strange weather we're having for December; enough to make even an oil executive start believing in global warming.

Rachel Phillips said...

Christmas is ages away. You will probably be doing all those jobs again next week.

Heather said...

I'm not surprised that you needed a nap after such a busy day. Glad you had some sunshine - it has at least been dry here today but very grey and mild. Our cherry tree is fast coming into bloom and could be well out by Christmas if it continues to be so mild. I find that worrying - it is three months early.

Granny Sue said...

I like reading your daily activities. You live a rich and varied life, truly, even though some might think otherwise. There is great peace to be found in messing about with plants, visiting friends, remembering the past, and tea on a tray in the afternoon.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Pointless is probably all repeats anyway, so you didn't miss much. We had about 10 minutes sunshine here, such a surprise that by the time we realised what it was it had gone again! And so mild

Derek Faulkner said...

I remember being in Jamaica some years ago on holiday and they had poinsettias there as hedging shrubs. I re-potted and grew one on after Christmas one year and it grew up to three foot high in my conservatory and "flowered" the following Christmas.

Terry and Linda said...

I hate being that sort of tired. But naps are a very good thing.

Linda

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

The fog took a while to lift today! A nice afternoon, had a lovely mild run. Sweating like a pig in December!

Wilma said...

I had a similar day with some banking, shopping, and picked up a few items at the hardware store (ironmongers? in your neck of the woods?). Almost bought some Christmas lights but decided against it. Had to go by boat to the village because the road is still too deep in mud from our flooding.

Cro Magnon said...

Say 'Hi' to Ian Botham from me, if you bump into him. He (and a few other cricketers) made my life better when he was playing. Great memories.

thelma said...

Naps are very good for you, and your Christmas list is almost finished. x

Elizabeth said...

Sounds an excellent day!

Anonymous said...

I fall asleep in front of the tele in the evening most nights- evidence of a busy day :o) I love cyclamens too and have a lovely bright red one on the patio that I can see from my computer.

meigancam01 said...

I feel so refreshing when i read your exciting daily experience, thanks so much and let keep on sharing..!!

Share my Garden said...

Dear Weaver, I always read your blog to find out what the weather is like at 'home'. (I've lived away from the Yorkshire Dales for more than half a century, but of course it's still home. Although your descriptions are lovely I do wish you would post a few more photos, Pat. We were in Coverdale in November in a week of rain but our place is now closed down for the winter.
Dozing by the fire- i'm also good at that !

Gwil W said...

Hope that clock gets fixed in time.