Monday 14 December 2015

A guest posts today.

A guest, G, does my post for me today.   On Saturday we had a good inch of wet snow.   It threw the whole place into chaos as drivers  forgot how to drive in such conditions and folk ended up on hills crossways on on the road.   This morning G sent me an e mail - here it is:

Leyburn Band was asked to play at the wedding of two Band members on Saturday.   We started playing at 12.30 and the wedding was due to start at 1pm.   We played and played, no bride.   Got to 1.30, still no bride.   She was travelling from Richmond (North Yorkshire) to Leyburn, a distance of eleven miles.  Unfortunately she was in a vintage Rolls Royce, not good in snow.   They got stuck several times and tried different routes.   Meanwhile we carried on playing, eventually taking requests from the congretation for their favourite carols.   The traffic outside the church was at a standstill, cars getting stuck on the hill in the covering of snow.   We carried on playing until the poor bride arrived - 90 minutes late!   She looked a little flustered, but beautiful with it.   The service was lovely, possibly helped by the feelings of relief that she had finally arrived.   Altogether we played over three and a half hours.   I think that will be a day that the bride and groom will not forget!

Thank you G for setting the scene on a snowy day.   Incidentally we drove through the dale yesterday with no problems at all - just a light covering of snow on the fields and the river well down - no sign of the recent flooding at all.   Today the snow (all inch of it) is disappearing and we are back to normal.   I hate to think what would happen should we get a real downfall.

16 comments:

Mary said...

A wedding to remember no doubt!

Take care in the winter weather - I feel bad telling you we are still enjoying days in the 70-73F range - the outdoor seating at local restaurants and cafes are crowded with folk in shorts and t-shirts! Doesn't feel much like December or Christmas really, but it's lovely for getting out and about. to run errands and get some exercise. I'm sure come January/February though it will be a different story!!

Stay safe on the roads - hugs, Mary

donna baker said...

That happens here too. Nobody can drive when it snows. I'd call that a stressful day and what a bride for handling it so well. She would be a keeper I'd say.

Mac n' Janet said...

Wow, as a bride I would have freaked out being late. Glad she finally made it safely.

Sue said...

Well done Leyburn band.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

The weather has been bad enough to ruin my view of the geminid meteor shower

angryparsnip said...

We get the crazy drivers where I live also.
In the winter lots of snowbirds, people trying to escape the snow, come to spend the winter months in Tucson.
It snows in the mountains around us but we will get rain. You would think that they know how to drive in rain or snow. But I swear they all go crazy driving on the wet streets. You would think they know how to drive but I guess can't remember.
So strange.

Very happy the bride finally made it and as @Sue said well done Leyburn Band.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

The Leyburn Band members deserve a medal after keeping everyone entertained for such a long time. So pleased the bride got to the church safely and I hope the bridegroom didn't wonder if he had been 'stood up'. It is still ridiculously mild down here which worries me. Our cherry tree is bursting into blossom and I wonder if there will be any daffodils at Easter. I read in the paper today that the unfortunate flood victims will be back in their homes by Christmas, and assuming that means those in Cumbria.

Derek Faulkner said...

Heather is right about the mild weather down here. In my garden in Kent snowdrops and daffodils are pushing through the soil, primroses are in flower and greenfly are re-appearing on the roses. On the farmland, some of the autumn sown rape, which shouldn't flower until next late spring, has grown so fast that it is beginning to flower in places.

Rachel Phillips said...

What a lovely story about the wedding. Thank goodness for the Leyburn band and they kept on playing and then asked for requests and favorites. I think that is a lovely story and all the congregation and the bride and, of course, the groom who must have sat their waiting. They saved the day.

Terry and Linda said...

We get snow pretty regular and there are ALWAYS those who forget how to drive in it. Beats me how they forget. As for me...I stay home!

TEE HEE

Linda

Frances said...

Let's toast the Band for keeping the music going during the snowy wedding vigil. What a great tale the bride and groom will have to tell their children and grandchildren. The suspense of the day seems romantic. Wondering if smart phones were part of the story? I wrote that last sentence as someone who does not own a smart phone, but knows I am a minority.

xo

Cro Magnon said...

I wonder what the requests were... I can think of a few.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I shall make sure that G gets all your comments. Glad you enjoyed the story. Frances - I don;t have anyof these fancy gadgets either - I do have a very old mobile phone which I keep in a pocket in my handbag just in case I need to phone the farmer in an emergency when we are both in town. He has his on permanently - I don;t even have any idea of my number but it can be handy - like last Friday when it suddenly poured with rain as I came out of the grocers and he was thus able to collect me there instead of my walking to the Auction Mart to meet him. Such things do have their uses.

thelma said...

What a story the newlyweds will have to tell their children when they are born;). I have had the same mobile for probably 15 years. Actually don't want to walk round with the internet permanently attached, nor the cost.

Gwil W said...

Reminds me of Charlie's funeral. An old soldier, he was there on time in his box but the music didn't arrive.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone.