Sunday 4 May 2014

Be careful.

This morning the farmer finished planting up all he wishes to do in the garden until the end of the month when the danger of frosts should be passed and he can put in things like green and runner beans.

He sowed a row of Spring Onion seeds and then went into the greenhouse to get the watering can, so that he could water the seeds in.   I should point out that we don't use our greenhouse and some of the panes of glass are missing.

The can was lying on its side and as he picked it up a little bird flew out.   It was a robin and there was a robin's nest inside the can.  The action of picking the can up had tipped the two eggs out of the nest, so the farmer carefully put them back and laid the can back down on its side.   Now we can only hope that Mrs. Robin will return and that she will forgive us for disturbing her.

Our friends arrived for lunch.   The watercress soup, garnished with a swirl of single cream, followed by a plate of cold meats (roast ham, salami, belly pork), new potatoes with parsley and butter, lettuce, parmesan and crouton salad, tomato, olive and feta cheese salad, Brussels pate, cheddar cheese and a freshly baked Ciabatta, and finally a rhubarb and orange crumble with half fat creme fraiche - all went down well.

We walked round the fields, to see the orchid and to come across the first two buttercups (hopefully a photograph tomorrow) and then sat and chatted for the rest of the afternoon.

Time to go now and join the farmer who is watching the final of the snooker - very exciting.   See you tomorrow.

12 comments:

Willow said...

My mouth is watering ~ the food sounds lovely .

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oh I do hope mama bird comes back.

Your luncheon sounds wonderful with a nice walk to follow - and chat. A perfect day.

Arija said...

What a gorgeous spread. Could you please give me your recipe for watercress soup? I have watercress in the overflow a small spring where we keep no stock.
Love the robin story . Saw on the solitary walker's blog how happy you both looked when he visited.

Hildred said...

What a nice day!!!! Hope the Farmer's garden grows bountifully...

Heather said...

I do hope the robin returns to her nest - what a treat. Many years ago an uncle who was a builder, went to back his lorry out of the garage workshop after the Easter break to find a robin's nest on the running board. (It was many years ago!) He wouldn't use it until the birds had fledged. Your lunch sounds delicious - I hope mine is as good for friends due on Wednesday.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hi Pat,
I bet she will go back to her nest. I hope.
So pleased your lunch came out so well and was so well received -both literally and figuratively.


Cro Magnon said...

Your lunch sounds perfect.

In the barn that I'm having re-roofed there is a redstart's nest right up under the eaves. It has baby birds in it, and the men have been very careful. All seems OK, and the mother returns each evening. I'm amazed she hasn't abandoned it, with all the noise etc.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I do hope everyone's optimism about the robin is well founded. Thanks for the visit.

angryparsnip said...

My goodness what a delicious lunch !
I hope Mum Robin comes back. zit indeed sounded like a safe place to nest.
I remember Denise saying one of her chickens loved to nest in the red bucket.

cheers, parsnip

Becca McCallum said...

I was walking along the outer boundary of the smallholding at my work last week, and found a next where the workers had cleared the scrub away. It had two robin's eggs in it - I'm very much afraid that the work will have scared the robin away.

MorningAJ said...

How sweet is that? A robin nesting in the watering can. I hope she doesn't mind that she was disturbed.

Becca McCallum said...

Obviously I meant 'nest' ....that will teach me to hit 'publish' without a preview!