Wednesday 7 May 2014

A Stimulating Morning.

This morning our Writers' Group had a short course, conducted by our Joint Chairman, about writing non-fiction articles for magazines.  It was such an interesting couple of hours, with everyone participating and such a lot of good advice for anyone who wished to submit such work.   I rarely do so these days, although, having submitted a poem to The Dalesman magazine several years ago, I find that they have published it this month  - and sent me an unexpected cheque in payment.  A lovely surprise.

After the class friend S and I went out for lunch together - to a local restaurant we both like (crab cakes, salad and chips before you ask).  It is a lovely country restaurant, approached by a road where llamas graze in a field and where a Brahma cockerel and his two White Sussex hens watch from just above the Car Park.  Came home feeling rather full of crab cakes, but managed to do one or two jobs which urgently needed doing, so not a wasted day work wise.

The weather has turned decidedly wintry today, so I shall now light the wood burner and get the house warm.

15 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I always enjoy the glow that a writing group meeting brings to my day. Congrats on the poem.

Heather said...

Congratulations on receiving payment for your poem. It has turned very chilly here too. I think I should have served hot soup or a casserole to my visitors at lunchtime, not salad!

angryparsnip said...

Congratulations on the poem.
I always think it rather funny and cute that one sees llamas everywhere now.

cheers, parsnip

Crafty Green Poet said...

sounds like an interesting course and congratulations on the publication (and payment)

Em Parkinson said...

How fantastic Pat. Even more so for the years in between submission and publication!

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Lit a fire against the chill here, too.
How neat after all this time re: poem and payment.

John Going Gently said...

I love your lifestyle ..how many times do you eat out a week?

Becca McCallum said...

Ooh, that sounds like a good day! I've often wondered about joining a writing group - would readers here recommend it?

Dartford Warbler said...

What a lovely surprise to have your poem published AND paid for after all this time!

Cloudia said...

Sounds a lovely day, and I'm grateful to be asked along.





ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral

Cro Magnon said...

When will this fashion for Llamas end? Every new ex-townie smallholder seems to want Alpacas, Camels, Llamas, and Giraffes. Previously it was Horses, Chickens and Sheep.

Robin Mac said...

I am catching up - slowly! Your writers group always sounds so interesting. What a lovely surprised to have your poem published and paid for after all this time. Loved your post from yesterday - that is why I have been so quiet, I am frantically trying catch up after being away for 10 days. like you, I need my paperwork in order. Cheers.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh John - you made me think! How many times do I eat out in a week? Well usually once or twice as friends suggest meals out. Luckily the farmer is only too pleased to get his own lunch.
Thanks to everyone for calling in.

MorningAJ said...

You've been published in The Dalesman? Well done!

MorningAJ said...

You've been published in The Dalesman? Well done!