I am here today to bare my soul. This is a post of confession - all right, you all hate really personal posts which disclose intimate details best left unsaid - but I need to confess and to get it off my chest.
I have visitors coming to stay in a couple of weeks, so I thought I had better make a start at tidying cupboards before they came. (they are relations and will no doubt help with meals, opening cupboards and drawers at will).
Now I must say that I am quite a tidy person in the places which are to be seen. But what goes on behind closed cupboards and drawers is a different matter. Today's post therefore poses a list of questions, all relating to my spice containers on one shelf in my cupboard.
1. Why do I have three small jars of sage, all opened but all three
quarters full? This is a particularly interesting question as I have a good sage plant in my garden.
2. When did I ever use poppy seeds, and for what?
3. How is it that the 'best before' date on one jar is 2006?
4. We neither of us care for curry so why have I got a jar of curry powder, opened, and what did I use it for?
And all of these, of course, beg the question, when did I last clean out the herbs and spices box?
Well, I have done so now and I keep opening the cupboard door just to make sure that it is still immaculate. But two things strike me as very important:
1. I must not let it get like that again.
2. I need to take lessons from Frugal in Suffolk and Frugal in
Derbyshire on how to be less profligate.