There are always decisions to be made on the farm. These are made, of course, by the farmer and not by me. I am grateful for that because I would find it far too worrying, whereas the farmer, who has been in the business more or less since he fell out of his cradle, takes it all in his stride with the remark, 'we have to take what comes.' (his favourite expression).
The decision at the moment is when to begin second crop silage making. We always sell our first crop in-situ as we have not cattle of our own. When it comes to second crop we make our own silage in order to feed the cattle we over-winter for our neighbour.
The grass has probably grown more or less as much as it will this year and it is time to cut. So all is dependent upon the weather. Today I think it is jolly cold - certainly Autumnal - and rather cloudy. There is a strong South West wind blowing. But, crucially, it is not raining and there is no rain forecast. The barometer is high and it is set to get warmer again over the next day or two. All things being equal we will be cutting our second crop grass tomorrow. So keep your fingers crossed for fine weather for a day or two please.