Sunday 21 July 2013

Another event and no camera.

Isn't it always the way?   As with my visit to BriggFlatts the other day, I went to friend M's for lunch today as we were both on our own for the day.   She has the loveliest front garden, full of herbaceous plants and deep undergrowth.

A duck has laid her eggs and hatched off a dozen or so ducklings in the last day or two.   From inside the house we could watch this careful mother standing on the lawn, ever watchful, while her tiny brood scudded up and down the lawn, nibbling at the grass.   They were delightful and - I had no camera to capture the moment for my blog.

The second we opened the front door they disappeared into the undergrowth - they might only be a day or two old but already they have learned that it is necessary to obey instantly if mother makes an alarm call.   Sad to think that they won't all make it to adulthood.  Cats, stoats, weasels and sparrow hawks, not to speak of traffic if they venture on to the road, will all take their toll.   But for now, all are safe and being well-looked after by a very caring Mum.

6 comments:

Hildred said...

Oh Pat, you are going to have to get a built-in camera. This sounds like a lovely sight to see, and to share. Domestic ducks or wild?

Gwil W said...

Wow! What an amazing photo for the header. I have to scroll right to find the dog. Great work.

Heather said...

I can never agree with the term 'ugly duckling' - they are so sweet and a joy to see. It sounds as if you had a most enjoyable day. If this weather doesn't cool down soon I shall have such a backlog of indoor and outdoor chores to tackle. I'm not complaining, especially after last year's dismal summer, but I just can't work in extreme heat.

Reader Wil said...

I bet you had a sunny day like we had today! The problem is it is too hot!
Thanks for your comment. Yes I remember Queen Fabiola very well. She was very beautiful, so was Paola.

Cloudia said...

I like the hopeful note of this as much as any pics you might have taken.



ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° > <3
> < } } ( ° >
> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

ArtPropelled said...

I don't know how many times I've done the same and thought, if only I had my camera. Glad you had a lovely day.