Thursday 19 July 2012

Dreams

Do you dream, or are you like the farmer who says he never dreams? I tell him everyone dreams but not everyone remembers them.

I have the most fanciful dreams, as though my brain is trying to sort out some of the rubbish I think about during the day. I have a bit of a butterfly mind and do tend to flit from subject to subject given half a chance.

But last night I had such an interesting dream. Interesting from the point of view that it seemed to draw its source from everything that had happened to me over the last few days , mix them up and serve them up in the form of a precis of events.

Last week at writers' group I was talking to D, one of our members, about selling her house and how unsettling it was; then I read a poem a few days later by Ted Hughes, called 'May Day on Holderness'; I have been watching Antiques Road Trip on BBC2 at tea-time each night this week; I am reading a book on Italian Cookery.

Last night I dreamt that I was looking for a house to buy and lit upon the one owned by D. The front of the house was in Richmond, where she lives, and was stocked with priceless antiques, all of which were for sale. The back, however, looked out over the Humber Estuary - in fact it was so close that the water was lapping at the end of the garden and round the wheels of one of the farmer's tractors. To cap it all, D invited me to stay for a meal and served up a delicious dish of Italian pasta.

Is that mad or is that mad? Answers on a postcard please.

11 comments:

Gerry Snape said...

well you are not hiding all of those thoughts in your unconscious...that must be good I think?!!

Heather said...

It sounds quite reasonable to me Pat. Some of my dreams seem weird enough to have me certified! Maybe it is just as well that I don't remember all of them.

Tom Stephenson said...

Not mad.

Hildred said...

A great mystery as to what percolates in the brain and comes out as dreams.

If I dream just before waking the dream will stay with me, delight or puzzle me, but eventually they all fade away. I guess it's all a great clearing house...

Pondside said...

I'm amazed that you remember all that. Like your Farmer, I never remember my dreams, but often wake with a feeling of just having missed something.

Elizabeth said...

I think you were just processing all the various strands of thought from the previous few days....
Such richness in dreams. Get a notebook and write fragments down the moment you wake up, otherwise they flee.....

Anonymous said...

I think I've have topped my personal best in crazy dreams.
Went into a florist to purchase flowers and noticed the florist was a mermaid sitting on a stool, with an incredibly long tail flowing out from behind the counter. I told her the whole story of who I wanted the flowers for and why, then apologized saying "sorry I'm rambling, I do go on and on".
The mermaid smiled and said "that's alright -I can cope quite well with a long tale".
Told husband, and he laughed and said "even in your dreams the jokes are weak!!"

Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm fascinated by dreams, it's intriguing to think how exactly they relate to real life

Tess Kincaid said...

My daughter got me hooked on interpreting my dreams a few years ago...it's fascinating how the mind works...almost like a computer de-fragging...

The Weaver of Grass said...

Pam's hilarious dream reminded me of a dream a friend had some years ago when she met and horse and asked it if it worked for a living and it replied, "no, I am a hobby horse." Yes sometimes are brains do go a bit mad, I think. Thanks for sharing.

Gwil W said...

I don't know if this is a dream but it's on the Romania Times page which you can get to via the link at the top of the Austria Times link on my P-i-R Blog.

It concerns an aeroplane which crashed with 4 people on board. Miraculously all 4 survived. There's a picture of the wreckage with the story.

One of the occupants described how the engine cut out and how he then saw the plane spin out of control and plummet into the ground. Then he saw himself walk out of the wreckage.

Maybe there was a dream. Or maybe there's another explanation?