Tuesday 24 July 2012

Cooperation

On a happier note today - I am always impressed by the high degree of cooperation between neighbouring farmers, who seem to help one another out without being asked.

Today is my supermarket day when I go off as early as possible to get the week's shopping. I do not enjoy shopping and like to get it all in one go, apart from a top up of fruit and vegetables on the market on Fridays. The farmer meanwhile is busy silaging for several folk in the village who just have one or maybe two fields. The weather, although it is hot today, is quite unpredictable and rain is forecast for later in the week, so time is of the essence.

In no time at all our neighbour opposite is out and helping. The farmer cuts and he bales and then - after it is wrapped - they are busy leading it in between them.

Last week our neighbour on the other side realised that his two fields were getting rather short of grass for the ten or so heifers he was keeping over the summer, so one day they arrived in one of our pastures and joined our sheep for a few days. Now that their grass has grown up again they have gone back - but it is this sort of cooperation that makes for such good neighbours.

The downside of today's silaging, as far as muggins here is concerned, is that what is usually meal times absolutely set in stone has become a day when meal times are anybody's guess. Lunch was an hour early, although nobody told me and it is now 7.15pm and tea is usually at 5pm - and so far there is no sign of anyone to eat it.

9 comments:

John Going Gently said...

I only know a few farmers but it never ceases to amaze me just how much they like pottering on other people's farms when another "job" needs doing!

Heather said...

I hope you had your tea when you needed it Pat. My stomach would rumble loud enough to be heard above a tractor engine if I was kept waiting so long!
It sounds as if you are among like minded folk, full of community spirit - it's good to know it still exists. I hope they all get their silaging done before the weather breaks.

it's me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dartford Warbler said...

These summer days of silaging and hay making must be hard work but still one of the most satisfying times of a farmer`s year. A feeling of security when winter feed is laid down for colder times. Lovely to hear that your farming neighbours are such a friendly, interdependent group. As you say, that is what makes a community in the countryside.

Penny said...

Always used to drive me mad, didnt mind that meals were late, if only they would let me know!

Cloudia said...

VERY Sorry
for the loud music on my post today!
Won't happen again ;-{

Altogether a lovely country post here today, and much appreciated, Weaver

Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral
<(-'.'-)>

> < } } ( ° >

The Stonehedge Farm said...

It is always nice to have good neighbors. often I have someone knocking on my door to tell me they are borrowing a hay wagon or a rake or something. we all help each other out around here.

Pondside said...

That's the way it is here too. Neighbours pitch in while the sun is shinging!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Cooperation resulted in all the wrapped bales being brought inside before ten o'clock. If we leave them out the crows attack them and that lets the air into the package.
It was scrambled eggs on toast for the farmer.