Thursday 16 February 2012

The Spice of Life.



.Three different themes today - two with a supporting picture.

First of all - thank you for the really interesting comments on yesterday's post about changing the names of streets. If you haven't read the comments then it is really worth reading them because they are so varied and reflect the interests and political leanings of those who have replied, I think.

Now to today's two themes. They say that what you have never had you never miss. I am not sure about that actually - I think it depends upon what it is to some extent. But I do know one thing for sure. What you have had, then lost, then got back again is quite a different kettle of fish.
Our Aga is - hopefully - mended and working again. (Please let it be so). The engineer has replaced the oil receptacle and it has fired up. Suddenly the whole fabric of the house is warm again. The last few days, in spite of having central heating and the wood burner going full pelt, the house seemed to get colder and colder. Now we fully appreciate the Aga. I think we had forgotten just how effective the heat from it was (we have never lived in the house without it).
Even the dog is basking in its warmth as you will see from my photograph.

And now to this wonderful book. Eryl (The Kitchen Bitch Ponders on my side bar) recommended it on her blog and her description was so interesting that I ordered the book from Amazon. Once you have registered it is all too easy to click on the order button. The book came this morning (Amazon is brilliantly efficient) and I am already on Chapter Five. It is almost impossible to put down - the book is pure magic

Eowyn Ivey (wonderful Christian name - anyone know how to pronounce it?) got the idea for the book from Arthur Ransome's 'The Little Daughter of the Snow' - if you have not read it and can lay your hands on a copy (£11.99 from Amazon uf you have a birthday coming up.) please do read it and let me know what you think of it. It is the kind of story which stays with you long after you have put it down.

So I shall go now, put my feet up by the Aga and continue the read. The trouble is although I want to know what happens, and although I just love the way the writer uses language and conjures up a wonderful image of a snowy Alaska, I don't want to finish it. But isn't that the trouble with any good book?

17 comments:

Heather said...

What an attractive country kitchen you have Pat and Tess knows the best spot! I have a dark green electric cooker but your Aga would look and cook so much better!! (Covet not thy blog friend's Aga).
I share your view on coming to the end of a good book, and feel quite bereft when I've read the final page. I have similar feelings when I finish one of my projects and need to start another fairly quickly or find something else to occupy me.

Cloudia said...

Glad your nest is properly feathered once again!

Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >
><}}(°>

angryparsnip said...

Eowyn ( A-o-win) I just love the name.

I commented on Eryl'e blog about the cover art and how I knew the artist work but how hard it was to find out about on the computer.
It seems she wanted Alessandro Gottardo (USA)for the cover but really didn't have a choice with the other printings. She has said she loves them all. There is like 6 (?) different covers. Must admit that I like the cover for the American issue much better.
Too much info sorry....
I know the writing is important after all it is a book ! but I must admit a great cover makes me pick up a book.
Not something a Kindle can ever do.

So glad your Aga is working and that looks like one happy pup all curled up and warm !

cheers, parsnip

it's me said...

the mysterious "Aga" sounds like magic--I just looked it up and now I understand--always ready-- -no wonder you missed it so---
don't think it would work in Louisiana where any extra heat in the summer is avoided and we rarely want to cook on really hot days--a light bulb may make a room feel too warm

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

It all looks very cosy. Just the place to read a good book.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Great minds do think alike! I have just started reading this. It kept me up quite late last night. I am so enjoying it. As to the pronunciation of her beautiful first name... I believe it is the same as the Eowyn in Lord of the Rings. "a o win"

jill said...

Pleased to hear you are cosy warm again,your kitchen looks lovely and warm.Im sure going to look for this book,thanks for the tip.Love Jill xxx

rkbsnana said...

Oh, yes! Put your feet up and enjoy the warmth

Robin Mac said...

How wonderful to have your Aga back in working order. We coveted my aunt's Aga when I was a child - we had an ordinary Crown wood stove - but in summer in Australia we didn't want to cook on any of them! We had to keep our stove going however as that provided the hot water for us. Love the description of that book shall have to look for it.

mumasu said...

Great news on the Aga front. Only an ordinary gas cooker here but plenty of covetous envy.

I find when I pick up a book I start to read at an ordinary pace, then sort of build up speed as I get into the story and then somehow read slower and slower towards the end to avoid finishing it.

MorningAJ said...

Our heating is broken at work and we're all huddled round individual fan heaters under our desks. You have my sympathy

Bovey Belle said...

I know just how much an Aga (or similar) is the heart of the home, not just for cooking, but basic warmth. Our Hergom is allowed 30 minutes' grace each day here, and we have to dip the oil tank daily. We have about another week's worth before the oil will have dropped too low to use the Hergom at all. And you're right - how quickly the house becomes as cold as a fridge . . .

The book sounds great. I've just read "Daphne" and couldn't put that down either - and very sad to come to the end of it. The sign of a good book.

Unknown said...

I picked a good time to revisit here. Curling up by the aga with a good book is my kind of creature comforts. Such luxury is all one really needs. Thank you for sharing this, dear Weaver. I'm always happiest when the chilly house in the winter warms up.

The Weaver of Grass said...

My next job is to make some scones in my now very hot Aga - so that the house smells of them when the farmer comes in for his tea!
I have finished the book - wonderful. Couldn't sleep so got up to read it in the night. It is the most magical story - do read it. Thank you for your participation.

izzy said...

Book and true warm ? of course!
I have sat by an Aga in my distant
past. Our little wood stove is going now- Enjoy!

Golden West said...

I read that England is getting some snow - perfect that your beloved Aga is up and running. Tess found the perfect spot!

thousandflower said...

I googled The Snow Child to find out more and found this http://eowynivey.com/snowchild.shtml

Have you seen it?