Saturday 14 January 2012

Panto


'Jack and the Beanstalk' - it was like going back to my own childhood!

The Panto is held each year in the Methodist Hall in our little town. It is put on by the same dedicated bunch of people every year - for charity (this year, in memory of my dear friend, Joan Cairns) who was the pianist for years. The charity dear to Joan's heart was the Terence Higgins Trust (for people with AIDS and HIV) and this is the Panto's chosen charity this year.

Of course, as with all these things, 'amateur' was an understatement. But I remembered my own childhood when we had a concert party and we went round all the villages entertaining - long before the days of TV, when our viewing public did not have today's sophistication.

Nobody forgot their lines. There were one or two lovely singing voices in there and the chorus of little girls, who took it all so seriously, was absolutely lovely. Audience participation was huge - 'cheer up' every time one character came on stage; 'boo/hiss' every time the giant appeared;
lots of songs where we had to join in.

But the highlight for me was the little three year old girl who sat directly in front of me. She had absolutely no sophistication/ no expectations/just plain innocence. She took in every single word - shouting, clapping, singing and - when the big, bad giant appeared on stage she was so terrified that she sprang on to her mother's knee.

I went with my friends who meet for coffee in the Golden Lion on Friday mornings. We all sat together in one row and we had a good laugh. What more could you ask for? Then we came our to an icy cold clear night and a sky full of stars. Brilliant in all senses of the word.

Sorry no pictures but photography was forbidden.

13 comments:

Elisabeth said...

It sounds wonderful, Pat. Good honest, even if maybe old-fashioned, entertainment. The best.

Tom Stephenson said...

I wonder how John would have reviewed it, Weaver?

Heather said...

I love the poster for the pantomime. I have often found amateur pantos more entertaining than many professional ones. Glad you all had such a good time.

MorningAJ said...

I'm not a great panto lover but it sounds like you had a good time. Glad you enjoyed it.

Gerry Snape said...

to do it with lots of like minded friends too...that was super!

Pondside said...

I've only, in the last year, come to understand what a panto might be. There is nothing, whatsoever, like it here. I love the idea of an evening at the theatre for you and old alike.

Mac n' Janet said...

How wonderful!

Anonymous said...

What fun. Your story of the little girl was heart-warming.

steven said...

i loved pantomime when i was a little english boy - loved them. my mum still gets out to one at christmastime. yelling at the bad people and cheering for the good ones!! steven

Dave King said...

Takes me back to my panto days - both sides of the footlights. Thanks for the reminder.

Elizabeth said...

What fun! Probably as much fun for the players as the audience.
So glad amateur theatricals are still out there going strong.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for the comments - wish i could have added a few photographs.

Mary said...

It did sound wonderful and I know shows like that take us back to our childhood. I loved the panto in the old Pavilion Theatre in Torquay - sadly now a cheap shopping mall - with a box of chocs (probably Dairy Box, always my favorite) in my lap, mum and auntie on either side of me, and those velvety, saggy seats.

The poster illustration is adorable Pat. Glad you had such a good time.
Mary