Monday 25 April 2011







The blue bells are out in our little wood. My climbing fences and crossing streams days are over, so I had to take a long distance shot for you - but I can assure you they are absolutely lovely.

This afternoon, not wanting to venture far in the Easter traffic, we went to our local reservoir. This little stretch of water belongs to Yorkshire Water and some of the water comes from the beck which runs through our fields, as Yorkshire Water are able to take water from it whenever they wish to do so. It is possible to walk all the way round it so we did this. Tess enjoyed the new smells too.

The water has sailing boats (only small ones but there is no other water for miles); geese a-plenty; fishermen; gorse bushes and a nice path to walk on for most of the round journey.

Coming back I have to say that the lanes were exquisite - every shade of green in the hedgerows and here and there the pinky-orange of the new field maple leaves. In the grass - drifts of dandelions, patches of cowslips and hugs swathes of stitchwort. Coming up to Forty Acre wood it is nice to see it greening up again.

Also - there on the sides of the lane - the purple orchids are out. I should have got out to take a photograph for you, but Tess was asleep on my knee (that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.)

##Sorry you have two photographs of the fisherman, but Blogger has a mind of its own this evening.

14 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Bluebells!
How lovely.
Bet Tess had a super walk.
Yes, Blogger does seem a bit opinionated at times!

angryparsnip said...

The Blue Bells look lovely how lucky you are to have a woods filled with such beauty.

cheers, parsnip

Reena said...

Oh, isn't great with spring springing up all over!
Reena

Heather said...

Your little wood looks magical with bluebells and daffodils Pat. We have been quite lazy today having done quite a lot of work in the garden over the past two days. The breeze was very welcome as I sat and watched the damsel flies visiting our little pond.

Unknown said...

I used to have a bluebell garden when I was a girl, Weaver. I didn't realize they grew in England too. No wonder my mother lvoed my little garden so much.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Beautiful spring flowers.
I enjoyed a walk over the fields today.x

Jo said...

How lovely, Weaver!

I went for a walk today in the misty rain, and the greens seemed to become more vibrant with each step. The new leaves are so perfectly colored!

I love to see the stripes of color mixed into the wooded areas filled with wildflowers.

Thank you for taking us along on your spring celebration. Please give Tess a good rub for me.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"Sorry you have two photographs of the fisherman"

I didn't mind. And a most beautiful road lined with trees. Think I'd like to drive down that one.

ChrisJ said...

Would love to see the bluebells -- also the purple orchids. I remember seeing a wood full of bluebells close to Flamborough and the Purple Orchid used to grow, tho' somewhat sparsely, on the cliffs.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely trip! We're so ready for spring. Just had our first daffodils springing up!

Cloudia said...

Flowers, and blogger, have their own time & ways :-)



Warm Aloha from Honolulu


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Tramp said...

You are right about the shades of green. I can stare at them, try to count them until I find that I am including shades that blend into other colours.
...Tramp

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for the comments.

John Going Gently said...

they rub together in the breeze, "making a brittle rub and jostle, like the noise of a hurdle, strained by leaning against it

quite lovely